SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 not listening to all talkgroups

daytimer

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure it's a programming issue, but I'm about ready to throw it in a lake. My friends 396xt has the same trunking system (WISCOM) programmed that my SDS100 has. He is receiving talkgroups that mine is not. Is there a general list of things I can check?
I've spent years programming public safety radio on p25 trunking systems and none of that compares to how much of a pain it is to set up this scanner!

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Which lake will you be throwing it into?
So assuming you have the talk groups programmed (and not avoided), I would look at the following:
1) service types enabled
2) if location control active, check your location
3) proper sites programmed for your physical location - same sites as your friend?

daytimer

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'm slowly on the way to figuring it out. I cut down the number of sites and changed it to id search mode (which I would prefer anyway). I am still missing some traffic that he receives. I'm not sure what he has for sites in his (neither is he!), so I will venture further down this road. This is a vacation listening area, so my playtime is limited. There's fishing to be done! Not catching, just fishing :)

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I am assuming you are programming Favorites and not using the zip code method. Furthermore, I am assuming you are not listening the the full DB. I don't use search with scan.

My SDS 100 used to skip over talk groups and miss them on occasion. It was slow as a snail on Librium. My 436HP was hitting on most.

So, I made some adjustments.

In the profile, I made sure that the "use site NAC" was checked. This works quite well in a statewide system. Instead of the radio search for the NAC site code, it hits like a charm.

In the Favorite, I make sure that the hold time is set to 0.

Then, I set the delay at the talk group level to 4 seconds.

I made sure I group my favorites in to "startup configuration keys."

I 'stack" my conventional and talk groups. Most of the time, I stack my talk groups instead of leaving them under all of the various departments. I put the sites I am monitoring within the Favorite and stack all of the talk groups beneath these.

I might add, I make sure my conventional frequencies list is as few as possible. I believe conventional frequencies slow this radio down.

Also, in the profile, I set the "global auto filter" to normal.

daytimer

Premium Subscriber
I"m feeling quite frustrated/defeated. I have gone through the above suggestions and my friends 396xt is still picking up traffic that my sds100 isn't even stopping on. His will listen to a 10 second transmission and I will watch mine scan through the 4 sites I have programmed multiple times without stopping. But, occasionally I will end up hearing something. I don't have anything except 4 sites of this one statewide system, so it's not like it has a lot to scan through.

K3HY

Premium Subscriber
I"m feeling quite frustrated/defeated. I have gone through the above suggestions and my friends 396xt is still picking up traffic that my sds100 isn't even stopping on. His will listen to a 10 second transmission and I will watch mine scan through the 4 sites I have programmed multiple times without stopping. But, occasionally I will end up hearing something. I don't have anything except 4 sites of this one statewide system, so it's not like it has a lot to scan through.
Manually enter the control frequency and watch the display. See if that displayed P25 NAC is the same as the P25 NAC that is in the DB