SDS100 not recognized by PC (No USB or Serial prompt on connect).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon911

My SDS100 stopped receiving my local P25 Digital trunk system. (SDS200 same load- working fine).

Firmware is current and was working fine two weeks ago.

When I went to plug the SDS100 in, I got a USB low voltage warning. Now, nothing.

Tried a few other cables (including the one that is working with the SDS 200), a second OEM cable and a third used for my tablet running Siren. Tried the same set of cables on my work laptop (which has connected in the past). On my main PC- I reset all USB connections, tried different ports and cleared the BIOS. No luck.

I power cycled, switched to a second battery and reseated the memory card. Still no luck.

I'm thinking it's the USB port on the scanner.

PC (OS Build 19041.508) and Laptop are both Dell's running Win10 and are patched.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
My SDS100 stopped receiving my local P25 Digital trunk system. (SDS200 same load- working fine).

Firmware is current and was working fine two weeks ago.

When I went to plug the SDS100 in, I got a USB low voltage warning. Now, nothing.

Tried a few other cables (including the one that is working with the SDS 200), a second OEM cable and a third used for my tablet running Siren. Tried the same set of cables on my work laptop (which has connected in the past). On my main PC- I reset all USB connections, tried different ports and cleared the BIOS. No luck.

I power cycled, switched to a second battery and reseated the memory card. Still no luck.

I'm thinking it's the USB port on the scanner.

PC (OS Build 19041.508) and Laptop are both Dell's running Win10 and are patched.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Have you either replaced the memory card, or formatted the one currently in use & set it up voa Sentinel, using 'Clear User Data'? Given your description of getting the low voltage warning, very possibly the data on your card has become corrupted. Even if you fully charged the battery, that will not, in itself, overcome the problems card by a card that has errors in its data.

djeplett

Try pinching the metal end of the cable between your fingers. Don't go nuts with a pliers as you can wreck it pretty easily. Sometimes that helps with a crappy connection.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I too get a low voltage error when I connect to my SDS 100. It is kind of a longer cable so I can connect it to a SDS 536 scanner for programming, which it does fine. But no hope for connecting the SDS 100.

What I do it use a different cable connected directly to a USB port on my PC (as opposed to a USB hub) and it connects to the SDS 100 just fine.

Dragon911

Sounds like a corrupt SD card, that would be the first thing I would be checking.
Anyone tried putting a SDS200 card in a SDS100 (or a replica?) Like I said- I did try to re-seat the card and it seems to load favorites...

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Anyone tried putting a SDS200 card in a SDS100 (or a replica?) Like I said- I did try to re-seat the card and it seems to load favorites...
As far as the programming itself goes (favorites lists), they are interchangeable. However, you might get an unexpected result as to whatever differences there are in your display settings (fields & colors chosen, for example).

If you were creating a new card, via a card reader rather than installed in a scanner, that card could be used in either.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
Try cleaning the contacts on the scanner port/cable with IPA or contact cleaner, I had the low voltage issue occasionally and I cleaned the contacts and never had the issue again.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I had a similar issue previously. however on mine the scanner charges but wouldnt connect up to the PC.
tried swapping SD cards still same issue.

I just update the scanner by pulling the card and inserting in the computer. doesnt solve the issue but works for me

in your case u are not even getting the charge via USB so definitely sounds like something wrong with the usb port

Dragon911

I wrote to a new SD card via the computer and it's working. It also updated the sub-cpu firmware. Will try the USB cable in the AM...Sentinel- even with saying it was a SDS100 kept saying SDS200 even after selecting 100.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Are you seeing that SDS 200 on the opening screen of the scanner when it first boots up? If so, you can change that by editing the applicable Profile in Sentinel, going to the Display Options tab and changing the text in the second line of the Opening Message area.

It is a harmless error. It could say anything or nothing and the scanner will function.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Sentinel- even with saying it was a SDS100 kept saying SDS200 even after selecting 100.

If you are talking about the start-up message on the scanner screen when you turn on the scanner...… In Sentinel, open profile editor, click on "display options" tab, change the "opening message" to whatever you want, close and save, write to scanner.

Dragon911

New SD card works... tried contact cleaner and a fresh cable; USB "low voltage" when plugged in. Since it's somewhat working, I'll send it in for repair sometime... thank you for the feedback/tips. :)

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Just out of curiosity... See if windows has control of power management of your USB ports...
If it does turn it off...
After I upgraded to Win10 2004 it flipped windows power management back on for my USB ports... Had the same problem...
Had to turn it off to get the scanner to connect...

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
New SD card works... tried contact cleaner and a fresh cable; USB "low voltage" when plugged in. Since it's somewhat working, I'll send it in for repair sometime... thank you for the feedback/tips. :)
Low voltage is almost always the cable and / or USB port, not the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.