SDS100 or Broadcastify?

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone, After breaking out my pro-83 from a long time of not scanning I quickly realized how dramatically the technology has changed since I last used a scanner. I have been scouring the forums for the last few weeks trying to catch up and understand the new systems. With many cities and towns transmitting on RISCOM which from what I gather can only be deciphered only by the SDS models, everyone seems to agree they work well and they are expensive. lol! I was looking at the live streams which seem to be an option but I think my main question is and it may seem trivial and a weird deciding factor, but does the premium subscription player show what town or city is transmitting on the public safety stream or is it just one audio feed that I would basically need to know the general area as to figure out what city or town is transmitting from the feed. Just not sure if investing in the radio is worth it or would I listen more due to having the radio? Has anyone run into this with simulcasting? Also I know that some PD's are encrypted now which is another concern for the SDS. I tried looking up other information as to possible timelines for encrypting but have come up somewhat short. Hate to eventually own a brick that is no better than my old scanner. Thanks for any input!

GILLIG40

Premium Subscriber
With the Broadcastify Calls Platform you can make up your own playlists. Up to 30 TGs in a playlist. To see what in your area is available, go to broadcastif.com. Click on the double bar in the upper right corner. Then go to listen, calls platform, coverage browse. Under coverage by location and service type, open Rhode Island, then whichever county you live in. From there you’ll find what’s available online.This does show who’s transmitting and their talk group Id number.

N1FKO

Premium Subscriber
The problem with depending on Broadcastify is the fragility of the web players. Invariably, you discover that your player has lost connectivity and you've missed events. The only exception that I have found is the old ScannerLive app, which aggressively maintains its connections (and uses a fraction of the CPU of the web-based players).

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
I have been scouring the forums for the last few weeks trying to catch up and understand the new systems. With many cities and towns transmitting on RISCOM which from what I gather can only be deciphered only by the SDS models, everyone seems to agree they work well and they are expensive. ...does the premium subscription player show what town or city is transmitting on the public safety stream or is it just one audio feed that I would basically need to know the general area as to figure out what city or town is transmitting from the feed. Just not sure if investing in the radio is worth it or would I listen more due to having the radio? Has anyone run into this with simulcasting? Also I know that some PD's are encrypted now which is another concern for the SDS. I tried looking up other information as to possible timelines for encrypting but have come up somewhat short. Hate to eventually own a brick that is no better than my old scanner. Thanks for any input!
Hello 68984. To break down your questions, piece by piece...

1) Yes, many are on RISCON (Rhode Island Statewide COmmunications Network).

2) Other higher end scanners such as the 536HP can decipher it, and does a good job but the SDS does a far superior job of it.

3) The only way you can actually see what a feed provider is stopped on is if the feed provides "alpha tags". The descriptions will indicate that.

4) Having your own radio is nice as you can control what you're monitoring and if you wish to lock on a department, or lock a chatty channel out temporarily, you have that option. You're not relying on another user's receiver and/or their internet connection. (or yours)

5) Yes, on RISCON, I have had issues with Simulcasting, mainly around spots where you're high enough but not in range of a tower. Like down in southern Riverside, RI. RISCON is Phase I, so there are less issues than with Phase II like CLMRN.

6) Police Departments are pretty tight lipped about going encrypted. Usually either people whine here about it or you see it in the press.
Sometimes people here have insight as to it and will post it. As a DB admin for RI here, I sometimes get privy to it too.

7) The chances of there being so much encryption that your scanner is a brick around here is quite low.

Hope these help

-- Mike