SDS100 poor performance on VHF DMR Cap+

Status
Not open for further replies.

deim

Universal Scanner Audio Player developer
Hi there! Yesterday i am compared my SDS100 with 436hp on VHF DMR Cap+ system. There are only 3 sites with 4, 6, 4 frequencies per site.
Video here
both scanners have last firmware.
SDS100 decode less transmissions then 436hp.

This issue only with my scanners or other users have the same DMR reception bug?

XTS3000

I’m experiencing the same problem as the OP - many calls missed on Cap+, Con+. When it does work, the time slot is wrong maybe 30% of the time. I purchased the SDS100 as a personal scanner AND a tool to help troubleshoot systems we work on. As a scanner, it falls short at even basic features, let alone advanced features. As a tool, it’s completely worthless. Using it as a tool for work, I’ve come across over a dozen bugs that make it completely useless - most haven’t even been discussed or discovered yet. I consider the SDS100 in its alpha stage, not even beta stage. The SDS is now back in its box and I’ll revisit my close to $800 investment in a few years to see if the dozens of bugs have been fixed.

Funny how a $30 RTL with DSD+ fastlane runs circles around the flagship Uniden which has been out for coming up on 1 year.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I’m experiencing the same problem as the OP - many calls missed on Cap+, Con+. When it does work, the time slot is wrong maybe 30% of the time. I purchased the SDS100 as a personal scanner AND a tool to help troubleshoot systems we work on. As a scanner, it falls short at even basic features, let alone advanced features. As a tool, it’s completely worthless. Using it as a tool for work, I’ve come across over a dozen bugs that make it completely useless - most haven’t even been discussed or discovered yet. I consider the SDS100 in its alpha stage, not even beta stage. The SDS is now back in its box and I’ll revisit my close to $800 investment in a few years to see if the dozens of bugs have been fixed.

Funny how a $30 RTL with DSD+ fastlane runs circles around the flagship Uniden which has been out for coming up on 1 year.

Is it just the dongle running circles, or does the vastly more powerful (compared to the SDS) PC processor have just a touch to do with this?

Anyway, you could always go with Whistler just in case you don't want to be tied to a PC to listen to radio traffic. Their LSM scanner should be out soon. Oh wait....

brettbolt

We absolutely cannot investigate what has not been reported.
Field test an SDS100 and a 436HP on a road trip. Compare them on a variety of systems in various metropolitan areas. I am sure you will notice enough issues to keep the firmware engineers busy for months.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Hi there! Yesterday i am compared my SDS100 with 436hp on VHF DMR Cap+ system. There are only 3 sites with 4, 6, 4 frequencies per site.
Video here
both scanners have last firmware.
SDS100 decode less transmissions then 436hp.

This issue only with my scanners or other users have the same DMR reception bug?
According to the video, the RSSI is very low. It would be a more useful video if it showed RSSI numeric value and NOISE value. But, we recommend you try the various filter settings to see if there is any improvement.

XTS3000

Yes, that $30 RTL plugged into a $1500 laptop. Somehow that part always gets left out. :)

$30 RTL plugged into a $80 raspberry pi with display and a $40 battery power supply using 18650.

I firmly believe in 3 years the SDS 100 will be an awesome scanner, but as it sits, it’s still feels like it’s still in its “alpha” stage. When the 436HP first came out, it was pure trash. But with 5 years of firmware updates, it’s a decent scanner now.

XTS3000

We absolutely cannot investigate what has not been reported.

Between work and life in general, I simply don’t have the time to keep track of all the bugs no one has mentioned yet. Sorry.

Here’s just one bug when doing a limit search (let’s say 450-470mhz). If the 100 comes across an encrypted DMR frequency (enhanced or AES256), it will stop on the proper frequency but will display the wrong time slot and you hear the “crickets in a blender sound”. The header packets of any DMR transmission are NOT encrypted - even when the voice is. So the 100 should detect these header packets and timeslot and deal with them properly.

BigC801

Another bug maybe? when searching or scanning several Digital frequencies, it will display the info from the last frequency on the next one. network id, Tg and radio id's, sometimes the color code of the last frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.