SDS100 Prerelease Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber

Voyager

Where do you get 500ma as the max current from a usb port? All of mine allow 1amp to 2.5 amps and via wall plugs 2.1 amps to 5.5 amps.

USB 2.0 specifications. Yes, there are ports that supply more. I said "lowest common denominator". You can't expect ALL ports to supply 2A.

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
USB 2.0 specifications. Yes, there are ports that supply more. I said "lowest common denominator". You can't expect ALL ports to supply 2A.

No, but the power brick you provide with your product can deliver ~2A for charging -- same as every iPhone, iPad and (most) Android chargers do.

AvidHiker

Heh, my Galaxy S8 can draw over 2 amps at 9V from the wall wart. BTW, the USB 2.0 standard was amended over 10 years ago to support up to 1.8A at 5V.

jasonhouk

Where do you get 500ma as the max current from a usb port? All of mine allow 1amp to 2.5 amps and via wall plugs 2.1 amps to 5.5 amps.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The noise is horrid enough from most 500mAh sources, I could imagine from 1Ah+

Houk

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Looks like there are charging "pins" on the rear, is there a possibility of a "drop in" charger for this scanner?

scannersnstuff

UPMan - Paul. Mine is a twofold question. You had mentioned with the new radio, better sensitivity. Does this also apply to conventional channel's too ?. Does the lsm fix work for conventional vhf/uhf also. In example, my counties vhf fire dispatch has horrid lsm. The farther you go from the tx. site, the worse it get's.

Ubbe

Originally Posted by Jay911
UPMan - is the membrane style keyboard the final product or will it have more button-like keys like previous scanners?

I'm guessing the membrane will stay as it probably has to do with the rain rating, does it?
Membrane (for the reason you guessed).

Are there many scanner users that would like to take their scanner for a swim or stand out in the rain without having the scanner inside your coat or using an umbrella? I hope the keypads tactical feel are not compromised due to the rain protection and the loudspeakers audio are not hampered being shielded with some sort of rubber skin.

/Ubbe

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
UPMan - Paul. Mine is a twofold question. You had mentioned with the new radio, better sensitivity. Does this also apply to conventional channel's too ?. Does the lsm fix work for conventional vhf/uhf also. In example, my counties vhf fire dispatch has horrid lsm. The farther you go from the tx. site, the worse it get's.

Didn't actually say better sensitivity. I said it would work better on digital, even in weak signal situations.

I do not yet have sensitivity specs, but I do not expect them to be appreciably better (or worse) than other models. However, the characteristics of the receiver are still being tweaked (daily) during testing.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Something just doesn't make sense with regard to this charging law. There are now PC USB ports which allow upwards of 2 amps continuous charging and all of the newer smartphones use around two amps to run and charge at the same time. Anytime I plug my S9+ into one of the high-powered ports on my PC is which I do all the time, I'm violating that law if I'm in California, and the same hardware is available in California.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ubbe

Did you turn P-25 wait time setting to Zero? Default is 400ms.
Not sure if your listening to a mix of analog and digital systems...

That setting has nothing to do with audio delay.

The HP series of scanners use a digital signal processor to convert digital data to analog audio and there is a process time to handle the conversation. I guess that the DSP also could be used for analog audio processing of EQ, AGC and other stuff. Different process power and coding technique of the software makes the audio delay being different in lenght depending of brand and model of scanner and radios and creates an annoying echo effect if different brands and models are used in the same room.

/Ubbe

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The answer is two-fold. A California law made it illegal to charge unless using USB (that's effectively the just of the law as it applies).

The second part is this: You have a current limitation of 500 mA (lowest common denominator). It takes about that much to RUN the scanner. It takes about that much to CHARGE the scanner.

This is inaccurate. Most USB power supplies are capable of supplying 2A. The 436 draws about 200mA, the HP-2 draws about 300mA. That leaves a minimum of 200-300mA of current for charging. With a 1A USB power supply, you have 700-800mA available for charging.

The ONLY reason for this limitation is stupid California energy regulations.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Originally Posted by Jay911
UPMan - is the membrane style keyboard the final product or will it have more button-like keys like previous scanners?

I'm guessing the membrane will stay as it probably has to do with the rain rating, does it?

Are there many scanner users that would like to take their scanner for a swim or stand out in the rain without having the scanner inside your coat or using an umbrella? I hope the keypads tactical feel are not compromised due to the rain protection and the loudspeakers audio are not hampered being shielded with some sort of rubber skin.

/Ubbe

The newer Motorola APX radios have a plastic speaker cone, with rubber seals around the edges, so the speaker grill is only protected by a screen door type mesh that keeps twigs and dirt out. If you thought the 436HP had muffled and bassy audio, imagine how bad it will be with a membrane covering it!

Paul

Voyager

Some of us strongly believe it's entirely in the firmware - the European and Australian versions of the 436 charge while powered up.

Interesting. Didn't know that.

I was thinking about higher charging rates. The charging circuit is most likely current-limited. I know I didn't say that before.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The 436 has a waterproof plastic speaker cone. So the SDS100 probably does, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.