SDS100 programming suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I’m looking into a way I can avoid one of two FL’s resident in a SDS100 for a friend who is sightless. He only has two FL’s (he has tagged them with the names of two county’s). On occasion, he wants to avoid one county. I passed along the method of avoiding single channels and told him I’d research if there is a way to avoid an entire FL that does not require entering a menu. My friend is good with keypad strokes as long as he does not need to access anything that requires he read the display, obviously. So, I’m thinking if QK’s were assigned? Is it possible to avoid an FL blindfolded where I don’t need to see the display? I am not using QK’s on my SDS100, never have, So I thought I should ask those familure with if QK’s will do the trick.

Any method that would allow for avoiding an entire FL... using only the keypad and outside controls (volume knob) would be appreciated. One other thing... the SDS100 is a SDR radio. Meaning it should be an easy task to have certain features “patched” out to an external keypad. Has anyone heard of an initiative such as this in the works? I can visualize my friend sitting in front of his SDS100 which is connected to a device Like a keypad that has Each number dedicated to a certain process.

bkramm

If he has QK's assigned to his favorites list then the FL number and then function should turn the FL on or off
depending on which state it is currently in.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Give one FL quick key 1, and the other quick key 2. Then you can toggle lists on and off merely by hitting 1, enter or 2, enter.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
n1chu, I have to ask....
"I am not using QK’s on my SDS100, never have"

Why???
One of the most powerful features of the Unidens are quick keys. Not just for systems, but departments and even sites.
You are really missing out on a lot of functionality.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So you have asked how to turn on and off a favorites list when you have two of them.

There is a very simple answer in post 4 and others are saying it too.

May I suggest since you're doing it for someone who is visually impaired that you assign the favorites list that they want to toggle on and off number 5. The reason I say that is if you feel with your thumb number five has a little bump in the upper right of the button that is easily palpable.

This is done deliberately for the... Blind.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I’m looking into a way I can avoid one of two FL’s resident in a SDS100 for a friend who is sightless. He only has two FL’s (he has tagged them with the names of two county’s). On occasion, he wants to avoid one county. I passed along the method of avoiding single channels and told him I’d research if there is a way to avoid an entire FL that does not require entering a menu. My friend is good with keypad strokes as long as he does not need to access anything that requires he read the display, obviously. So, I’m thinking if QK’s were assigned? Is it possible to avoid an FL blindfolded where I don’t need to see the display? I am not using QK’s on my SDS100, never have, So I thought I should ask those familure with if QK’s will do the trick.

Any method that would allow for avoiding an entire FL... using only the keypad and outside controls (volume knob) would be appreciated. One other thing... the SDS100 is a SDR radio. Meaning it should be an easy task to have certain features “patched” out to an external keypad. Has anyone heard of an initiative such as this in the works? I can visualize my friend sitting in front of his SDS100 which is connected to a device Like a keypad that has Each number dedicated to a certain process.
So you have asked how to turn on and off a favorites list when you have two of them.

There is a very simple answer in post 4 and others are saying it too.

May I suggest since you're doing it for someone who is visually impaired that you assign the favorites list that they want to toggle on and off number 5. The reason I say that is if you feel with your thumb number five has a little bump in the upper right of the button that is easily palpable.

This is done deliberately for the... Blind.
“This is done deliberately for the ... Blind.” ...and those who don’t want to use the backlight at nite.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
n1chu, I have to ask....
"I am not using QK’s on my SDS100, never have"

Why???
One of the most powerful features of the Unidens are quick keys. Not just for systems, but departments and even sites.
You are really missing out on a lot of functionality.
To answer your question about my not using QK’s; I never embraced the QK feature because there was never any need for it. I’m only scanning a small number of agencies and use multiple scanners to do it. When I avoid it’s only on the channel level, not a departmental or system level. And, if I were to have a need for it I’d have to write the QK’s Down... I suffer from CRS. But agreed, they are a powerful tool. I just don’t need them.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
“This is done deliberately for the ... Blind.” ...and those who don’t want to use the backlight at nite.
I guess that would work too. I volunteered with the associated services for the blind for years.

Mostly Mobility training to use a cane and after seeing eye dogs were broken in acclimating clients to maneuver the city.

You will find that number five is often used on many different items that have keyboards. Check the five and you'll usually find that bump.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Quick Key "schemes" can be simple or elaborate depending on the wishes of the programmer/user and just how sharp of a point to put on a pencil.

I'd suggest assigning the Favorites List subject to being turned off/on with a Favorites List Quick Key. It sounds like the other Favorites List would be always on, so no Quick Key on that one.

That way if the user wants to turn that one off, all that is needed is to press the number then "E Yes" to do so. Not too much to remember.

I'm recommending against the second FL having a Quick Key because it could also be turned off inadvertently, leading to a "Nothing to Scan" predicament and a visually challenged person may not see that message on the screen. He might wonder why the scanner isn't working.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Quick Key "schemes" can be simple or elaborate depending on the wishes of the programmer/user and just how sharp of a point to put on a pencil.

I'd suggest assigning the Favorites List subject to being turned off/on with a Favorites List Quick Key. It sounds like the other Favorites List would be always on, so no Quick Key on that one.

That way if the user wants to turn that one off, all that is needed is to press the number then "E Yes" to do so. Not too much to remember.

I'm recommending against the second FL having a Quick Key because it could also be turned off inadvertently, leading to a "Nothing to Scan" predicament and a visually challenged person may not see that message on the screen. He might wonder why the scanner isn't working.
Ok. Thank you. After reading the reply’s I’ve learned not only is it possible to avoid a favorites list without accessing the menu, it saved me the time and effort of researching it myself. I had a vague idea it was possible but it’s always nice to get verification from those that are familiar. Your suggestion about assigning only one QK was spot on... I had the same thought... and for the same reason. It’s bad enough when you KNOW you have a “Nothing to Scan” situation, But when it’s made even worse because you don’t know about it, it becomes beyond frustrating!

I’ve got enough info to proceed. Time to close this thread out...

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.