SDS100 Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheelbuc

I have been working on programming this scanner the last couple of days and I must be totally missing something. When I first got it, I entered my zip just to check it out and until I had time to RTFM and learn to program it. Im in Stokesdale and got Guilford, Stokes, Forsyth and Rockingham counties. GreatI I thought.

So, went into Sentinel and started programming. Im trying to create a favorite list with mostly fire, police, ems, ncshp, viper and some odds and ends. I programmed the scanner and I "seem" to be getting everything but Viper. When I used the zip code function, Viper was heard just fine and very often. Not sure what I have done wrong or missed. I know this favorite list isnt optimal but, its one to learn from.

I have spent two nights trying to figure out why Viper isnt working and Im tired of beating my head against a wall. Anyone with a clue? I was attempting to upload the file to have someone look at it but, apparently, thats a no no

Thanks!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have been working on programming this scanner the last couple of days and I must be totally missing something. When I first got it, I entered my zip just to check it out and until I had time to RTFM and learn to program it. Im in Stokesdale and got Guilford, Stokes, Forsyth and Rockingham counties. GreatI I thought.

So, went into Sentinel and started programming. Im trying to create a favorite list with mostly fire, police, ems, ncshp, viper and some odds and ends. I programmed the scanner and I "seem" to be getting everything but Viper. When I used the zip code function, Viper was heard just fine and very often. Not sure what I have done wrong or missed. I know this favorite list isnt optimal but, its one to learn from.

I have spent two nights trying to figure out why Viper isnt working and Im tired of beating my head against a wall. Anyone with a clue? I was attempting to upload the file to have someone look at it but, apparently, thats a no no

Thanks!
Perfectly fine to post a file here. Either change the HPE extension to TXT, or zip it to post it here.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

Thanks!
As fxdscon noted, you can post a file, but it cannot have the *.hpe file extention.

Attaching an *.hpe file to a post

Use Sentinel to "read from scanner" if you have made changes on the scanner that were not also made in Sentinel. If nothing was changed only on the scanner, proceed to the next step.
Click on the drop-down File menu.

Select export the resulting Favorites list(s) into an *.hpe file.

Sentinel will ask you to select the list to export, and then you can choose whether to export all of the systems, or select only the ones to include.
Save the exported file to a location you can access easily, using either the name of the favorites list(s) it came from, or whatever other name you prefer.

As noted, you can either change the file extention to txt (instead of hpe), or zip the file. You can do that either with a file utility, like WinZip or 7-Zip, or just let Windows create the file.

Using Windows Explorer, find the file.
You can <right><click> on the file.
That will give you a pop-up menu with a number of choices, including Send To
Click on 'Send To', then you'll see another set of choices.

Select the one labeled "Compressed (zipped) folder (highlighted above).

Now, you will have a file with the *.zip extention, which is acceptable for attaching to a post.

Then, attach that to a post and upload so that we can take a peek & see if anything is out of place. If you have more than one list, export each Favorites list separately.

tarheelbuc

I should have searched a little more about changing the file extension last night but, I was pretty much brain dead. Anyway, here it is. Much appreciate someone looking over it.

Also, if anyone else has a file for Guilford county, no matter how detailed, Id love to check it out to get an idea of what is the best way to optimize a favorites list.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Guilford County.txt
    3.8 KB · Views: 7

tvengr

Well Known Member
The problem is that the Viper system did not have a site. I added the Viper Greensboro AT&T site. Save the attached file to your computer and change the extension to hpe. Import the hpe file into Sentinel and write to scanner. See if it works now.

Attachments

• Guilford Co NC 2.txt
    3.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

tarheelbuc

Yes, works like a charm. Not sure how I missed that. Thank you!

Did you see anything odd about my list? I heard/read horror stories of programming these things but, this was relatively simple...well, except for not adding a Viper site. Ive got a ways to go learning the ins and outs of this scanner. Programming doesnt seem much different than my last Uniden unless Im missing something. Different program, same basic "format"

tvengr

Well Known Member
I don't download from the database. I do all custom programming from scratch using the information in the database. Using a Excel spreadsheet, I edit all of the alpha tags to something that makes sense and is understandable and arrange all of the frequencies and talkgroups in logical order in departments. All of the favorites lists, systems, departments and sites are given quick keys for better control. I set up the file exactly the way I like it. You get a lot of practice working with the software doing it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.