SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Questions( Set Scan, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlied

I’ve read through the a Uniden manual which is pretty useless.
Ive read the other online manual and nothing I can find anything that says what a selection, any selection, actually means or does.
i have the NXDN and the DMR. I thought I needed DMR but haven’t used it that I know of.
ex. What is “select scan?”
I know about (6.25, 7.5, 8.33, 10, 12.5,15, 20, 25, 50 or 100 kHz).
But what does it actually mean to conventional frequencies?
I want to scan for 159.1875, 155.5725 and 159.2325. What do I select?
How about using “Discovery” to find everything between 150.0000 and 160.0000.
That’s four digits to the right of the decimal.

This thing is difficult.
I’m hearing systems, Dothan Public Safety, and frequencies near (most are conventional NXDN) but it’s just banging on keys and I happen to find them through “Discovery” but I’m also scanning Georgia and Florida (every department/system that exists) from the big full database. I just want to hear what’s near me in the SE corner of Alabama.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The channel intervals are set the correct band defaults for the USA already. No reason to mess with them.

Update the database, and there's little need to mess around with Discovery or band searches. Most everything you'll ever want to listen to is already programmed into the unit. Learn how to use what's already programmed before messing with anything else. Learn to crawl before trying to run.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I’ve read through the a Uniden manual which is pretty useless.
Ive read the other online manual and nothing I can find anything that says what a selection, any selection, actually means or does.
i have the NXDN and the DMR. I thought I needed DMR but haven’t used it that I know of.
ex. What is “select scan?”
I know about (6.25, 7.5, 8.33, 10, 12.5,15, 20, 25, 50 or 100 kHz).
But what does it actually mean to conventional frequencies?
I want to scan for 159.1875, 155.5725 and 159.2325. What do I select?
How about using “Discovery” to find everything between 150.0000 and 160.0000.
That’s four digits to the right of the decimal.

This thing is difficult.
I’m hearing systems, Dothan Public Safety, and frequencies near (most are conventional NXDN) but it’s just banging on keys and I happen to find them through “Discovery” but I’m also scanning Georgia and Florida (every department/system that exists) from the big full database. I just want to hear what’s near me in the SE corner of Alabama.
... Programming can be difficult when we don’t have the same “mindset” as those who write the manuals. And newbies (even those well versed in scanners) will experience difficulties when picking up a new scanner. But it’s just the learning curve (some are steep, some no so much) that must be mastered. And until you master that, this site is the place to go with your questions. You’ve done that, advice has been fourth coming and I’m sure more is on it way. My suggestion is to program the scanner using RadioReference.com (RR) and the Uniden software that comes with the scanner. It will get you up and running while you master that dreaded learning curve. However, RR may require a fee for this automated programming. It depends upon if Uniden has arranged with RR this service. If they have, it’s included in the price of the scanner and the Uniden software will get you to RR. If Uniden has not, a small fee to RR is required. It’s well worth it especially with the SDS models and the BCDx36HP models when programming trunked systems. It takes forever when programming manually... increasing the chance of making mistakes as there’s a lot of entries one must make when talking about trunked systems. So, use the automated process to program initially. That will get you listening to what you want. Then learn how to navigate around all the features... and tackle the manual programming at your leisure.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
However, RR may require a fee for this automated programming. It depends upon if Uniden has arranged with RR this service. If they have, it’s included in the price of the scanner and the Uniden software will get you to RR. If Uniden has not, a small fee to RR is required.
The SDS100 includes the full RR database via Sentinel, no additional fees or software required. Start there, scan the database, and look at how things are programmed in the database to learn how to program anything that might not already be in there.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Never pass up the option to ask for LOCAL HELP it should not take long to catch on after you see how these new scanners setup. If you have never setup a 435/536 and you come from a UNIDEN 785D or UNIDEN 780 world you are lost big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.