SDS100 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
PSX_20190504_002248001.jpeg
The best I could do was to clean off all of the stuff I didn't find necessary and then print in capitals. The way I have it set up here it would be nice if I could have the print larger.

Dexter2

Is there a way you can check or troubleshoot to see if your radio is starting to "kick the bucket", within the past couple days it appears activity is slowly dwindling away and transmissions appear at random after no activity for like an hour, it appears like the ending of a conversation?

The D-ERROR, RSSI, and NOISE all remain at the same numbers as it has been.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If the radio was having problems, the numbers would start changing, particularly RSSI and NOISE. RSSI would go down (larger negative numbers) and/or NOISE would go up (larger positive numbers).

Dexter2

its been large positive NOISE numbers, "-" D-ERROR, and "-" RSSI, sometimes -45 RSSI but thats when the transmissions come in.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That's what you'll see when there isn't a detectable signal.

Dexter2

I've been using a Remontronix* 800mhz antenna, definitely an improvement from what it came with. It really just might be my environment. Living in a brick building with people above me having satellite, doesn't help i would say.

Dexter2

Other than moving, do you have any other suggestions haha? I was looking at other antennas, and seeing if there was correlation with the brick exterior as well.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Have you looked at this?

Dexter2

I've had some free time today and wanted to do an evaluation of the various systems on this SDS100.

I currently have the radio on Volume 12 and Squelch 2.

System 1 is a P25.
System 2 is an Analog.
System 3 is mix of P25, EDAC, and Analog.

System 1
It doesn't pick up really, it like shows a constant skip when a talkgroup pops up. I've only received one full conversation between a unit and dispatch so far. The D-ERROR is usually --- or 40, NOISE is large numbers and -50 RSSI. It says P25 and Slot 1 or 2 when transmitting and its an NFM band.

System 2
Analog - D-ERROR and NOISE very high in thousands, --- RSSI. No activity as of yet.

System 3
P25 - is normal. D-ERROR is 0, NOISE in very low 3 digits, and -45 RSSI. It says P25 and then LINK when transmitting and its a NFM band.
EDAC - is normal. D-ERROR is ---. NOISE in very low 3 digits and -82 RSSI when transmitting -45 when not. its an FM band.
Analog - appears normal. NOISE very high in thousands when transmitting and RSSI -75.

Can the time between systems also have an effect?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I don't want to single out Dexter2 but I don't give a flip about individual's reports on reception. There are so many variables that one's person's report is worthless. In some cases, even moving a radio a couple of inches can improve reception. Location, antennae and even atmospheric conditions may affect reception. On some radios, substituting a coat hanger for an antenna might help with simulcast issues.

Sorry, guys.

Dexter2

Thank you for your message. I am not tech savvy and researching the different variables attempting to learn the ropes. Posting "my report" gives an idea of what I'm experiencing so that maybe I could learn why certain things may happen or through my navigation throughout these forums grasp things to look for in my own radio. Personally, because my lack of understanding, I would say if my radio is in the same place why would one system work if not the other. If the concepts of environment and reception are the same.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
With the noise you are noting make sure all the antenna connections are secure, if near a computer or TV perhaps move the scanner a few feet away as many of them have "noise" that overloads the scanner blocking other signals, try moving to another room, if near the transmitter sites try attenuation, if not make sure it is off.
In the conditions you describe sounds as though you have a "transmitter" emitting spurious noise that is overloading the scanner.

Dexter2

With the noise you are noting make sure all the antenna connections are secure, if near a computer or TV perhaps move the scanner a few feet away as many of them have "noise" that overloads the scanner blocking other signals, try moving to another room, if near the transmitter sites try attenuation, if not make sure it is off.
In the conditions you describe sounds as though you have a "transmitter" emitting spurious noise that is overloading the scanner.

Do you mean a transmitter like a cell tower?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That's one possible source of interference, if it's nearby...

Status
Not open for further replies.