SDS100 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
OK that helps. If NOISE only goes high on two frequencies, but stays low on others, then you may have some kind of RFI going on. A bad connection would make NOISE go high on any transmission, regardless of frequency. What is D-ERROR on 858.6875 and 859.8125?

Dexter2

At the moment, I lost everything, I have no signal bars and DATA is not on the screen. All five frequencies are showing but D-ERROR, System ID, RSSI are all ---, NOISE is through the roof on all frequencies with no transmissions period. Half hour ago when I was receiving fine, the D-ERROR would be 0 mostly, the highest I seen was 44 but only like twice on those two frequencies. I turned it off when I went out, its been like this since I turned it back on. I just put the Filter back on Wide Normal, it was on Global earlier and it worked the numbers are back and normal. How do you fix RFI?

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
RFI is not easy to fix. The hardest part is finding the source. It could be from a computer, LED lights, washing machines, or a bunch of other things. Do you have a laptop? If you get a $21 SDR dongle and download SDR# for free, you can see a display that shows RF signal strength. If you get a short USB extension cable, you can walk around with the laptop and use the dongle kind of like a metal detector to find the source of the problem. If the problem comes and goes, it could be because the source of the problem is switching on and off.

Dexter2

RFI is not easy to fix. The hardest part is finding the source. It could be from a computer, LED lights, washing machines, or a bunch of other things. Do you have a laptop? If you get a $21 SDR dongle and download SDR# for free, you can see a display that shows RF signal strength. If you get a short USB extension cable, you can walk around with the laptop and use the dongle kind of like a metal detector to find the source of the problem. If the problem comes and goes, it could be because the source of the problem is switching on and off.

I had a feeling it would be other uses of interference. Since I turned the radio back on, the laptop, TV, and lamps all in close proximity are on. I moved the laptop back into the other room because it died, I just heard a transmission on the radio thats the first since its been back on. Thank you for that recommendation.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
One way to confirm is to take the scanner for a walk, and see if the NOISE reading drops on the freqs where it is currently high.

Dexter2

I definitely need to try it with this new firmware refresher. When I tried it before, it was like only one area where it would pick up constantly, obviously not near my home haha. What about IFX? I read something vague about that with frequencies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That can help with interference on specific frequencies, but let's make sure it's an interference problem first.

Don't change any scanner settings, just go for a walk and see if that has any effect on NOISE readings.

Dexter2

If I leave the radio in the back room where the numbers stay "normal", I notice on the window sill its very sensitive. If I move it a mm or have it facing a certain way the numbers will skyrocket and the radio goes silent. Isn't that strange?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That's a good indicator your problem is RFI, actually. Start making notes of everything turned on near the "bad" room when you're having trouble with high NOISE, and when you don't . Eventually you should notice something consistently ON when NOISE is high, and OFF when NOISE is low.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Unless you can change the NOISE level without moving the radio, just by flexing the antenna. Is the antenna screwed in firmly?

Dexter2

Good Morning, the antenna is on firmly. The same thing happened this morning. Received around 6am with Squelch on 2 Global Filters, perfectly. Then as time went on started loosing out on channels to where it became silent. being it couldn't keep a channel. So, I went to both rooms and did videos. Hopefully this helps. The "Good 2 voice" was the first transmission that I was able to pick up since early this morning so I was trying to catch it. I haven't changed anything but squelch, no Filters and Ignore Site NAC is still selected. Also, I was not holding on a channel for any of these and its the only system i have programmed so the Hold I have set to 255.

I've been trying to post this message since 8am, had a hard time attaching videos.

Dexter2

Sorry I see it didn't go through. Is there a way to attach video clips? I tried: FLV, MOV, MP4. and WMV.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you have a Microsoft or Google account, copy them to your OneDrive/Google Drive and share a link.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'm seeing the frequencies are different for the "good" S2 and "bad" S2. While holding on the "bad" frequency (859.1125), press Func (top button on left) then 7 to activate IFX (Intermediate Frequency Exchange). That might help if it's RFI on a specific frequency.

Dexter2

I should have explained in the post. The Good videos are the back room where I receive most frequent and clear. The bad videos are the front part of my house where I have the most trouble and where most all of my electronics are. Was trying to show the difference it shows on my screen veerse the two areas and the effects of Squelch on 2 versus 1. I did notice in the good video it stays on that 859.1125 until a driver begins to speak to dispatch. But, in the bad it rotates between frequencies whether there was voice transmissions or not. I will still try the IFX on that frequency. Not sure if the above is helpful at all.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Ok that sounds a lot like an RFI problem in the one room, if you only have the problem there. You can enter the freq in IFX in Sentinel profile editor without messing around in the scanner menu.

Dexter2

Should I do it to all the frequencies? Also, I understand every frequency and every site are unique but is there a reason why I am having this problem with this particular system and not the Police/Fire System?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's frequency specific. Just do IFX on frequencies with the weird high noise readings.

Dexter2

Thank you, will give it a try. Do I do anything with Filters? Global Auto Filter is set to Normal and the Site is listed as Global. Its the only system I have programmed at the moment being I restarted everything with this new firmware from Ubbe. Also, system hold time is 255.

Also, I hit the function button but it won't let me press the number 7. It allows me to select, Close Call, Site, Mod.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.