SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Questions

w1dbc

Premium Subscriber
So I just got the sds100 today I have a couple of questions

1 I went to 'setting' then battery options then enabled the charge while on and a red light came on on the front of the unit... I did this right, right?

2 how long to charge from dead battery?

and lastly. I want the battery voltage to display on screen and im having a hard time figuring out how to. I looking in the manual 1st, then asked Uniden and they said 'it's in the manual, I looked again and don't understand how to? any help is appreciated, Thanks Dan W1DBC

w1dbc

Premium Subscriber
ok so I am correct then? its plugged in and on to wall plug regular 120 outlet

w1dbc

Premium Subscriber
It takes a lot of current to charge while radio is on. Most of us don’t do this. And many don’t charge the battery in scanner at all but rather use an external charger.
unfortunately I couldn't afford the external charger. I will charge with off typically as radios are off at bedtime (wife's orders, lol).

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Original poster, note that when your radio is new it's going to take a long time to have that light turn green. If you choose the option to listen and charge at the same time and the red light goes out.. that's normal.

You will notice an excessive amount of heat at the base of the antenna and that part of the radio and if it gets too hot because you're listening and charging at the same time it will stop charging, you need to choose the option of just charging and not listening at the same time.

Do some initial cycling of charging to full while the radio is off. At least a half a dozen times. It's a lithium battery and has no memory but you kind of can condition it.

As far as the wife is concerned, you're not alone, but you're on your own.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I am using a 5 amp 5 volt source so I can charge and operate at the same time. Something else that matters is the USB cable you are using to power the radio. You want a short "heavy duty" model, not the cheap versions.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I am using a 5 amp 5 volt source so I can charge and operate at the same time. Something else that matters is the USB cable you are using to power the radio. You want a short "heavy duty" model, not the cheap versions.
5v @ 5a is 25 watts of power. Try putting your hand on a 25w light bulb when it is on.

Notice @trentbob reply to you.

Trucker700

5v @ 5a is 25 watts of power. Try putting your hand on a 25w light bulb when it is on.

Notice @trentbob reply to you.
A 25 watt light bulb has more internal resistance than a copper wire. Therefore, the light bulb will heat up. Plus, the radio shouldn't draw the full 5 amps unless the battery is completely dead. So, unless using a very fine wire in the cable, he shouldn't have any problems.
James

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have set up my display to monitor "USB2 Voltage" and "Battery Voltage". This quickly shows the status of things.

Yes, 5 amps is more than I should need; but I want to run the radio and charge the battery with headroom left over. The amperage of the source has nothing to do with the voltage loss you get with poor quality or a long USB cable. It's 5 volts at the source end, with a drop through the cable, terminating at the radio. Whether the radio is on and the charge level of the battery will result in different voltage drops. The display tells me how it's going.

Ubbe

It always charge the battery using 500mA. The scanner takes at most 800mA with volume at full and backlight on. So it would never require more than 1,3A from a 5V source. I have some USB adapters that give 4,9V and 4,8V and those will give low voltage errors but I also have some that give out 5,1V and then I can use any cheap USB cable without getting a low voltage error.

/Ubbe

JDKelley

Just call me "Sparks." Or "Lucky."
ok so I am correct then? its plugged in and on to wall plug regular 120 outlet
You need a wall wart with some hair on its chest - or what I do, use a USB-C bus to charge while the radio is running. I haven't put in an ammeter to see what the current demand is, I should probably do this sometime...

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Take note that while the red light is on during charging and green when charged, there will be times when the light is off. One time is when there is too much heat and charging is suspended until it cools down. Another is when the "charge while on" option is not enabled in the menu. This can get "automatically" turned off if the scanners determines there's not enough power to run both (and you'll have to resolve the issue and turn it back on, or leave the radio off until the battery is reasonably charged).

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
And lets keep in mind that Li Ion batteries dont like heat or extreme low voltage. Because the scanner can run warm if its been on for a few hours i have opted to only charge when off to prevent excessive heat building up using the scanner and charging. Thus trying to prolong the life of the battery. But thats just my usage. Others may prefer to have a topped up battery over battery longevity.

doc62

I have three batteries that I rotate through and charge with the external charger only. Have had no issues.