SDS100 quick performance review

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2SJW

Database Admin
I won't until work has me doing something down there. Family birthday in Bridgewater on 6/30, so that will be my big test.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
On another note I downloaded the new Uniden Sentinel software which includes the SDS 100. This morning Windows did a critical update on my Windows 10 machine and now Sentinel will not work. It says Sentinel is already running but will not run. I did a control-alt-delete and check there and sentinel is definitely not running. Any other ideas?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
On another note I downloaded the new Uniden Sentinel software which includes the SDS 100. This morning Windows did a critical update on my Windows 10 machine and now Sentinel will not work. It says Sentinel is already running but will not run. I did a control-alt-delete and check there and sentinel is definitely not running. Any other ideas?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Another user reported something similar in a thread a few weeks ago -- not sure what his solution was ... may want to do a search.

Here?
http://forums.radioreference.com/un...pdate-sentinel-not-opening-2.html#post2934923

NParkNJ

On the Road
ICS wouldn’t even be the main one to listen to...

How about Wayne? Morris County?

Has anyone had a chance to listen to Rockland County P25? Anyone up this way at least? Was looking to see how Ramapo and the area PD’s sounded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

njfd

Premium Subscriber
I seem to be up some trouble receiving NJSP800 receiving no bars on NJSP800
NJICS is showing three bars but no audio off of High Point from my house stock antenna. also seem to be having issues with onevoice off of Blooming grove and Warwick ny. Blooming grove is also giving me three bars.

mdsxfire

EDBM
Just wondering how it does with simulcast systems while driving around, or even moving it around the house. My first try with a scanner on p25 simulcast systems if I touch it I would lose the control channel for about 5-10.

jasonhouk

Just wondering how it does with simulcast systems while driving around, or even moving it around the house. My first try with a scanner on p25 simulcast systems if I touch it I would lose the control channel for about 5-10.

Here's a test I streamed on YouTube of Columbus City Simulcast.

https://youtu.be/3TQ5egwJ4JY

Houk

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
I only got about 5 1/2 hours use today before the low battery warning. I typically get 10 hours out of my 436. Hopefully the higher capacity battery that’s coming from Uniden will be better.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
So report on weak signal while moving. I'm kind of speechless. With 2 bars/S2 on the meter driving through a holler flanked with 940ft and 760ft ridges on either side respectively, and the SDS100 is barely skipping on WVSIRN. Granted, not simulcast, but it is P25 trunked.

We've never been able to get a completely reliable decode while moving along the river before, only when stopped.

Also in terms of conventional, it's adequately pulling in 14 miles to the east and 11 miles to the west in the AAR band. Doesn't sound like much until you realize that even with the Stationmaster on a 30ft pole, there's multiple 700ft+ ridges in the way. There was actually a moment where it was receiving the defect detector at South Branch (2 watts and 13mi) before it broke squelch on my Yaesu FT-2980R.

Gooood stuff.

Last edited:

Phelanhome

Feed Provider
My SDS100 hears Wayne Township percent.. Have trouble with 536 and simulcast trying to listen from my home in Pequannock. Had to set a scanner up at my in-laws house in Wayne to get it right and use proscan to hear it in my house. Now with the SDS 100 I do not have the problem anymore!!!!.

NParkNJ

On the Road
How is it doing on the DMR systems in Pequannock, Kinnelon, etc. ?

Too add, also, how does it do specifically against RAS?

Remember the whole programming Pequannock as a OFT, vs TG, wonder if that would work better now?

Phelanhome

Feed Provider
I have not loaded the DMR into it yet. Maybe later today. Wanted to see how Wayne did from my home first since I could never get it right here. (Thank God for my in-laws in Wayne) I will let you know how it does once I start listening to PEQ and "RAS"

I like the new Radio so far and my wife likes it since she likes to listen to Wayne. Battery will have to be replaced in the future by Uniden.

W2SJW

Database Admin
I'm interested as well to see how it does on RAS systems. I'm too far away at home here to test on Hopatcong PD.

Status
Not open for further replies.