SDS100 really bad reception in VHF - UHF for 600$

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheels1911

Like this is a joke. How can a 600$ scanner be so bad with UHF and VHF?

Im in need of a new antenna that can help with picking up freq 154.74000 and 460.47500

Most of my area is still analog, I got the SDS100 to future proof my self because my area will soon go to P 25 II, but right now I can't really hear anything.

Does anyone have any antenna ideas?

Thanks
Jordan

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you're using the ducky antenna inside the house, the reception can be poor due to terrain and/or metal in the walls. And the stock antenna isn't very good on VHF.

This works far better than any rubber ducky:

Getting the discone outside and above the roof/treeline is even better.

wheels1911

If you're using the ducky antenna inside the house, the reception can be poor due to terrain and/or metal in the walls. And the stock antenna isn't very good on VHF.

This works far better than any rubber ducky:

Getting the discone outside and above the roof/treeline is even better.

Oh my lord lol, Yeah I can't really use that, first off its huge and I am very mobile with my scanner Im looking for something I can travel with.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
This is a lot better than the stock antenna, but not as good as the discone:

wheels1911

I use to have a Yaesu VX-6 Ham radio that I used for scanning. It just a basic analog radio.... It worked amazingly inside my house with the stock antenna. and its nearly 400$ less expensive.

Pretty sad if you ask me.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A lot of it is the Uniden stock antenna. The SWR/return loss plots are pretty unimpressive.

wheels1911

This is a lot better than the stock antenna, but not as good as the discone:

Okay, now we are talking. Do I need to buy any special adaptor for this to screw on? Or is it just buy and plug in?

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Okay, now we are talking. Do I need to buy any special adaptor for this to screw on? Or is it just buy and plug in?

You can get the adapter, or carefully Dremmel a collar on the end.
Removing just enough material so that the antenna base fits into that recessed SMA connector on the 100.

Works great

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
You'll need a BNC adapter. You can use the one that came with the radio, or this one.

I can personally vouch for the BNC-SMA adapter that Jon Wienke sells.

I bought three of his adapters a while back, and I'm very happy with them. The adapter that came with the SDS100 was very hard for me to hold in place as I attached or removed BNC antennas.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

Status
Not open for further replies.