SDS100 Reception Issues on LASD 480 Analog Frequencies

dmullen1373

Yeah my used 436HP does way better on everything than the SDS -- does anybody have a clue as to whether or not LA-RICS is going to have TRUE simulcast sites where an SDS will be actually be required? I currently have the SG, East and Johnstone (all 700MHz) sites unavoided and I haven't had any trouble on my 436HP.

I guess I'm trying to determine whether or not the SDS is going to do better that what my 436HP already does and whether or not I should try and get my $650 back! :)

tkenny53

In my car with a external antenna on the trunk, I get lots of noise in the 470mhz area, sds100, but with a rubber antenna on the radio in the car, I get zero interference. All other freq's work fine

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
It is the receiver chip that are of a too low quality to be used in a high end scanner, but was a low cost solution to be able to receive simulcast systems.

It not that its low quality, its that they are using a chip that is meant for a TV tuner which is pretty broadband, and doesn't do well filtering out adjacent channels.

What I would like to see Uniden do, is make the attenuator adjustable so you can fine tune it.

Ubbe

It not that its low quality
It's low quality with lots of internal spurious signals are its biggest problem, then adjacent channel and overload issues. For home use with a constant signal level on the channels, a user adjustable 0-30dB attenuator would probably work to improve reception (with a saved value for each system?) but mobile it would be too much variations in signal level to be useful.

/Ubbe