SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 recommend an external speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
Looking for a small external speaker for my SDS100. the fiance and I regularly sit on the front porch and we have to turn the internal speaker up to 12-14 at times due to ambient noise. what would you guys recommend for an external speaker? I noticed at higher volumes the internal speaker dosnt sound as clear as it would at lower volumes. i have amazon prime so something recommended from amazon would be great.

thanks community !!

Reconrider

From everyone that I've read/researched don't turn the sound above 10 or 11 the speaker will crap out. As for a somethin external, I keep seeing everyone say "buy an amplified external speaker". I have yet to buy one myself so can't attest to how good it is

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I'm going to suggest something other than a pair of PC speakers. My suggestion is a Bluetooth speaker like <<-THIS->> and a small Bluetooth transmitter like <<-THIS->>. I use this arrangement at home because my scanner can remain hooked up to power and the larger antenna. The only drawback is I cannot see the display.

Oh and the fact that it's battery powered and rechargeable, you don't have to plug in anything on the porch.

Last edited:

xlr8

Premium Subscriber
If you are going to be listening in a somewhat stationary location, I can highly recommend one of these MFJ-281 Speaker. I have 5 or 6 of these speakers and use them both at home and in the mobile units for 2m/440 ham transceivers, scanners, and various receivers. You can order directly from MFJ, but you may get a better price at GigaParts, Ham Radio Outlet, or an MFJ dealer at a local hamfest.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Old Motorola external speakers are nice, and can be found cheap/free if you know where to look.
Drawback is they don't have a suitable connector on the end, and attaching your own is required.

The Kenwood KES-3 (and unmarked similar versions) are pretty good and will have an 1/8" plug on the end. Plenty loud enough for your application.

fireman_dude

Premium Subscriber
Makes sure you get an amplified speaker. Don't make the mistake I did and purchase a regular external non-powered speaker.

Ubbe

That Kenwood KES-3 comes in a lot of different brand names. I have one Motorola and use that with a TRX-1 as the internal speaker are just as bad as the SDS100's. My SDS100 use a Motorola GSN6035 at volume 6 and if using volume 15 it still gives a very clean sound, very loud, and doesn't clip in the amplifier. I connected the speaker cable to another connector and cable I had that fit the scanner. Not all connectors will go deep enough into the scanner as the hole sits so deep.

/Ubbe

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
thanks for all the replies gentlemen, this gives me a starting point. i have a walmart 100.00 bluetooth speaker but i dont like the way it sounds, i tried it yesterday. sounds like it needs more bass and this does not have adjustable bass. it sounds spectacular for musinc tho

Ubbe

These kinds of Motorola speakers have the perfect sound quality and EQ curve for SDS100: Motorola HSN 9326A Remote External Speaker without Mount, No Connectors | eBay

s-l500.jpg

/Ubbe

Tim-in-TX

Premium Subscriber
If listening on your front porch, then yes, a halfway decent pair of computer speakers would work fine.

Why is it so difficult to fine a strong self-powered amplified speaker for the SDS100? I currently run two BC23A's, connected to a Y-splitter so that they connect to the same scanner, and mounted to the headrest of my 4Runner (facing the back of my head). But even with that set-up, when I drive with my window down (which I do fairly often) they are still hard to hear when going more that 50mph.

I am curious if something like this (Mini Amplifier) would work on boosting the volume though.

Ubbe

I am curious if something like this (Mini Amplifier) would work on boosting the volume though.
Those kind of amplifiers use ground for -12v and audio inputs. The output from a SDS100 are "floating" relative to ground. So you cannot connect the SDS100 to a 5volt source or grounded antenna, without using a ground loop isolator transformer from scanner output to amplifier input.

/Ubbe

eg153wftx

If listening on your front porch, then yes, a halfway decent pair of computer speakers would work fine.

Why is it so difficult to fine a strong self-powered amplified speaker for the SDS100? I currently run two BC23A's, connected to a Y-splitter so that they connect to the same scanner, and mounted to the headrest of my 4Runner (facing the back of my head). But even with that set-up, when I drive with my window down (which I do fairly often) they are still hard to hear when going more that 50mph.

Does your toyota have an AUX input on the sound system? I use the standard 3.5 mm cord from scanner to AUX and listen over my car speakers as for ambient music/radio when doing this phone to a bluetooth speaker so i can have both.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Amazing how many people still don't realize that the modern Uniden portable scanners have a 32 ohm stereo jack and just recommend a mono speaker that will short out half the jack. I have posted it almost every time this comes up. Maybe linking to the thread where UPMan said don't do it will convince the people making recommendations that could damage the scanner.

Tim-in-TX

Premium Subscriber
Does your toyota have an AUX input on the sound system? I use the standard 3.5 mm cord from scanner to AUX and listen over my car speakers as for ambient music/radio when doing this phone to a bluetooth speaker so i can have both.
Yes, it has AUX input, but I listen to music too, so that is a no-go. Bluetooth, nawwww. To much going on in the cab already. I don't even use the phone connected to the truck for calls, just plain wired earbuds plugged directly to the phone...when I even bother to answer the phone that is...not many people I am even remotely interested in talking to, much less while driving. I just want a really loud external speaker for my SDS100...is that too much to ask?

avaloncourt

I use a Bluetooth adapter and Bluetooth speaker at times. Most of the time, I'm using Proscan and I just listen to it off my phone or the phone through the car entertainment system wherever I'm at.

Status
Not open for further replies.