SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 replaced under warranty, how to transfer DMR, NXDN, ProVoice upgrades new replacement ?

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber
Unlikely. Not only because he hasn't logged into the forums in over a month, but mainly because he doesn't have much of a track record of being all that helpful or actually getting anything done in the couple of years he's been around here.
Agreed. Just thought I'd try to hit him up to see. He may no longer be with Uniden.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
This history may help, at least give a better understanding, what I experienced when I purchased one of the original SDS100’s…

Upman (Uniden) notified all that a newer, bigger battery and cover program was to be enacted as the smaller battery wasn’t providing adequate life between charges. I followed the instructions and received the upgrade free of charge. That program may now be extinct and now asking about the offer will probably fall on deaf ears. But the OP says Bearcat Warehouse sent a new scanner without any battery whatsoever. But here it is the year 2023, well past the warrenty cut-off date. If an inquiry was made early on, the errant order most probably would have been corrected, no questions asked. Suffice to say the scanner is not a total loss, they sell replacement batteries and I do believe the larger cover is also available. But there’s a rub… Uniden doesn’t seem to like selling replacement parts, instead, they direct us to send the radio in to their repair station which costs close to $100 when tax and shipping are included.

As for the additional mode extras they sell like DMR etc. they are programmed into the scanner by the buyer and are not transferable from one radio to another. So, if the scanner is returned for a fix and Uniden determines the radio is to be replaced instead of repaired, they add the additional modes to the replacement scanner at no additional charge. (You are still responsible for the out-of-warrenty repair charge.)

That’s my understanding. Any corrections are welcomed.

whatsthefreq

So uniden finally is trying to get this issue resolved, ( initially I was getting canned responses from them, and one email they sent me, was instructions on how to update the firmware on a sds200 uhhh ok ?)
The issue has been moved up to the chain of command, they’re waiting for their programming agent to return to work this week. I’m glad I’ve made some progress.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
So uniden finally is trying to get this issue resolved, ( initially I was getting canned responses from them, and one email they sent me, was instructions on how to update the firmware on a sds200 uhhh ok ?)
The issue has been moved up to the chain of command, they’re waiting for their programming agent to return to work this week. I’m glad I’ve made some progress.
-
Thanks for updating the progress.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Ahh I see. Well Before I sent the scanner in for replacement, I contacted bearcat wherehouse and told them I purchased the upgrades through uniden and asked them what will happen to these upgrades when I get a new scanner , and they told me , that’s something uniden will have to deal with.

Uhhhhh... only if Uniden replaced the unit. (which as previously stated might have the same ESN)

Since BW replaced it, it would be on them to make sure the replacement works properly - even if they have to purchase keys and give them to you.

Update: I assume you talked to one of the CSRs and that is how it is being addressed?

whatsthefreq

Uhhhhh... only if Uniden replaced the unit. (which as previously stated might have the same ESN)

Since BW replaced it, it would be on them to make sure the replacement works properly - even if they have to purchase keys and give them to you.

Update: I assume you talked to one of the CSRs and that is how it is being addressed?
Ah. I see. Others on here who purchased from BW , and was directed to uniden as well. I posted an update with that’s going with the scanner , at the end of this thread.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Ah. I see. Others on here who purchased from BW , and was directed to uniden as well. I posted an update with that’s going with the scanner , at the end of this thread.
Yes, it's always great when you can get others to solve your problems.

I know what the Uniden repair department does in these cases (I pretty much stated that above), but the dealers should be self-sufficient.

So is it the CSRs you are talking to?

whatsthefreq

Yes, it's always great when you can get others to solve your problems.

I know what the Uniden repair department does in these cases (I pretty much stated that above), but the dealers should be self-sufficient.

So is it the CSRs you are talking to?
It would have been nice if Bearcat Wherehouse, didn’t push this off to uniden in the first place, considering I paid for their “extended warranty” which was used to replace my scanner. But they didn’t want anything to do with it. And there’s been a few people on this forum , that had the same exact issue with Bearcat wherehouse, regarding upgrade keys , as I did.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I emailed uniden support and been in contact with them for the entire issue , they have released the 3 new keys , so I now have all 3 of my upgrades. Problem solved !
OK. For reference that is a CSR (Customer Service Representative).

I agree about the pushing off, and I will let management know about that issue (keys not being replaced).