SDS100/SDS200: SDS100- Scanning Help

Ct_Pirate

Just revived the need for communication equipment
Premium Subscriber
Guy, I'm the IT guy for a company and do pretty well in tech knowledge and figure stuff out easily but I gotta tell you this SDS100 is kicking my ass. I'm ready to blow it out and throw in the towel. I have the Sentinel set up with favs and uploaded to the scanner and cant figure out how to just scan the Fav lists. The damn thing scans everything everywhere and I've done the zip code thing and then brought down to 5 miles and it's STILL scanning a state 30 miles away and then these blank frequencies on a "Search with scan" setting that i can't get to go away and am avoiding these crap blank frequencies. I'm going out of my mind.

Is there any video that can dumb it down to show me WTH is going on? I've watched 20 videos on youtube and just get more frustrated as they are either WAY to in depth or glaze over stuff and speed by it. All I want to do it scan some favorites for Gawd's sakes LOL

Last edited:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
The damn thing scans everything everywhere and I've done the zip code thing and then brought down to 5 miles and it's STILL scanning a stat3 30 miles away
Turn off full database scanning to only scan your favorites lists & nothing else. This setting becomes enabled when you enter a zip code.
Press MENU key on side of scanner. Scroll to Set Scan Selection > Select Lists to Monitor > FULL DATABASE needs to be set to OFF. Make sure your favorites list(s) is (are) set to "ON" here. Be sure to read from scanner in Sentinel so it is aware of the change otherwise it'll likely be written back if you omit this step

Or in Sentinel itself the following needs to be unchecked:
1708391069045.png

See also the Easier to Read SDS-100/200 Digital Scanner Manual & Sentinel SDS100/200 Software Manual

Last edited:

Ubbe

If you have setup a favorite list or several, then disable location scanning to scan everything in the favorite lists. Use the service type selections to block any type you do not want to monitor and do avoid to systems and frequencies you do not want to scan. Distances used for location control are not always the most optimum ones and could disable some systems that you can actually monitor.

Go to the scanners menu and manage Favorite and then select a favorite and go to Location Control and set to Off. Do the same in Sentinel.
In the scanner menu for Set Scan Selection/Select List to Monitor you set the Search with Scan to Off. In Sentinel it is called Monitor Search with Scan.

/Ubbe

PreferredCustomer

Premium Subscriber
Guy, I'm the IT guy for a company and do pretty well in tech knowledge and figure stuff out easily but I gotta tell you this SDS100 is kicking my ass. I'm ready to blow it out and throw in the towel. I have the Sentinel set up with favs and uploaded to the scanner and cant figure out how to just scan the Fav lists. The damn thing scans everything everywhere and I've done the zip code thing and then brought down to 5 miles and it's STILL scanning a state 30 miles away and then these blank frequencies on a "Search with scan" setting that i can't get to go away and am avoiding these crap blank frequencies. I'm going out of my mind.

Is there any video that can dumb it down to show me WTH is going on? I've watched 20 videos on youtube and just get more frustrated as they are either WAY to in depth or glaze over stuff and speed by it. All I want to do it scan some favorites for Gawd's sakes LOL

I feel your pain!

I just bought an SDS 200 about a week ago. But I am slowly getting it figured out.

Maybe try this easier to decipher instruction manual:

Ct_Pirate

Premium Subscriber
I feel your pain!

I just bought an SDS 200 about a week ago. But I am slowly getting it figured out.

Maybe try this easier to decipher instruction manual:
Yeah I've had a SDS100 for a year now and after the initial set up and not getting it to do much other than having to tap the avoid button like it was a drum set I put it away in a drawer. I've brought it back out and due to the small screen and controls it was just frustrating. So now with the 200 larger screen I'm understanding the 100 a bit more and MANY thanks to the the peeps here. I'll get it going one way or another

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I've had a SDS100 for a year now and after the initial set up and not getting it to do much other than having to tap the avoid button like it was a drum set I put it away in a drawer. I've brought it back out and due to the small screen and controls it was just frustrating. So now with the 200 larger screen I'm understanding the 100 a bit more and MANY thanks to the the peeps here. I'll get it going one way or another
As it’s been said, the SDS series (and DMA architecture) can have a steep learning curve for some of us. Some more than others! Lots of wonderful people on here have shown great patience and given generously of their time to me!

IMHO the SDS 100 leaves a lot to be desired as a receiver. But it’s designed for simulcast really. It’s a lotta bucks to shell out for just that! It’s flashy and pretty and all that, but overall I’ve been underwhelmed!

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber

There are occasions when people learn from the familiarity with the region, terrain, etc.

The SDS 100 carries a rather severe learning curve.

For right now, you might want to turn the national DB on. Then, go into the radio menu & toggle the "service types" you don't want to hear (examples: utilities, other, ham, media, etc.)

Then, go into the scanner menu, go to "Set Your Location." When it is parked on this, push the rotary knob down & it will land on "Set Your Location." Then, go to "Set Range." You can set the range according to the area.

As you scanner scans, you can rely on the national DB label (alpha tag) to show you what is possible for to hear.

Some of the talk groups (name for channel in a trunked system) & conventional frequencies will already have labels on the radio for you to ID them.

I see where it is possible to monitor some federal, some state police, etc. However, some of these talk groups/conventional frequencies have a "E" beside them. If you see a capital "E" it means that full encryption is being used. If so, no scanner can monitor a full "E."

If you need some help, send me and PM and I can program the radio for you. Then, you can model what I've created to fine tune it the way you like.

I am completely unfamiliar with the terrain where you live.

There are two potential places to program from: a) New Haven County, Connecticut (CT) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference and b) a trunked system that encompasses state police, etc., Connecticut Land Mobile Radio Network (CLMRN) Trunking System, Statewide, Connecticut

I don't believe the best way to learn how to use this radio is throwing more wood on the fire. If so, you are likely to get smoked out. When I first learned, it was overwhelming. I had friends helping me. We started with the basics.

I am giving the following as an example of why it is helpful to break things down for those having difficulty reading, absorbing, and implementing novel material.

For example, I used to to write behavioral programming goals for ID clients to tie their shoes. Some low-functioning individual need 300 steps on learning small tasks. In essence, I found myself as clueless as one of my clients for learning complex tasks.

Invariably, those with intimate knowledge of something tend to talk over the heads of those learning how to do something without gearing the information to a novice. Maybe they believe in "cognitive osmosis."

Take it slow and steady.

Last edited:

Ct_Pirate

Premium Subscriber
There are occasions when people learn from the familiarity with the region, terrain, etc.

The SDS 100 carries a rather severe learning curve.

For right now, you might want to turn the national DB on. Then, go into the radio menu & toggle the "service types" you don't want to hear (examples: utilities, other, ham, media, etc.)

Then, go into the scanner menu, go to "Set Your Location." When it is parked on this, push the rotary knob down & it will land on "Set Your Location." Then, go to "Set Range." You can set the range according to the area.

As you scanner scans, you can rely on the national DB label (alpha tag) to show you what is possible for to hear.

Some of the talk groups (name for channel in a trunked system) & conventional frequencies will already have labels on the radio for you to ID them.

I see where it is possible to monitor some federal, some state police, etc. However, some of these talk groups/conventional frequencies have a "E" beside them. If you see a capital "E" it means that full encryption is being used. If so, no scanner can monitor a full "E."

If you need some help, send me and PM and I can program the radio for you. Then, you can model what I've created to fine tune it the way you like.

I am completely unfamiliar with the terrain where you live.

There are two potential places to program from: a) New Haven County, Connecticut (CT) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference and b) a trunked system that encompasses state police, etc., Connecticut Land Mobile Radio Network (CLMRN) Trunking System, Statewide, Connecticut

I don't believe the best way to learn how to use this radio is throwing more wood on the fire. If so, you are likely to get smoked out. When I first learned, it was overwhelming. I had friends helping me. We started with the basics.

I am giving the following as an example of why it is helpful to break things down for those having difficulty reading, absorbing, and implementing novel material.

For example, I used to to write behavioral programming goals for ID clients to tie their shoes. Some low-functioning individual need 300 steps on learning small tasks. In essence, I found myself as clueless as one of my clients for learning complex tasks.

Invariably, those with intimate knowledge of something tend to talk over the heads of those learning how to do something without gearing the information to a novice. Maybe they believe in "cognitive osmosis."

Take it slow and steady.

[SIZE=3]Ensnared[/SIZE] Thanks so much! I'll dive back in this weekend and let you know how I make out.

edgeryder

I feel it too, just found this due to the overwhelming confusion. My last scanner was the BC8500XLT which of course is no longer useful.
Great info here, thanks for posting!

Ubbe

The range setting in the scanner only adds additional range to what are already set in the database for the system that the DB admin thought where appropriate, that could be 25 miles or 55 miles or even 2 miles. If a school campus have applied for a license to use radios within their premises then they get a license that say they are only allowed to use their radios within a 2 mile radius. The DB admins then take that info and set a 2 mile range to that system in the DB and you will never hear anything from that system when using location controlled scanning even if you are well withing radio coverage from your location. If you live 20 miles from that campus and you set the range in the scanner to 20 miles you will start to monitor that system but you will then also add an additional 20 miles to all systems in the database.

Location controlled scanning are fine when travelling between countys and states to be able to hear something from the scanner, but it will never be perfect in its operation. When scanning from home then always program a favorite list without location control. Use Sentinel and go into the database and select your state and county and select to append that to a favorite list and then set all service types to enable and scan only that favorite list.

Then if you hear something you absolutely do not want to monitor then go into the scanner menu and edit Favorite list and System and set that system to permanent Avoid. For conventional systems and talkgroups there will be Departments so you might want to Avoid that instead.

When you edit anything in the scanner then read the scanner from Sentinel and you can then easily see what systems and departments you have avoided as they will be highlighted in red. You can then remove the avoids or do other avoids to systems or departments that you immediately see that you do not want to monitor and then write that to the scanner. Always write changes you do in Sentinel to the scanner so that they are in sync and if you edit in the scanner then read the scanner as soon as possible to Sentinel to keep them in sync.

If you want to monitor more, you have a good antenna or a good location, then add other counties from the DB and edit those systems in the same way. You may want to append those to their own favorite list to more easily select what to scan.

I recommend to get a extra SD card memory and a USB card reader and program that as a backup. But program it first when you have confirmed that the scanner works properly with a new program. If it didn't work out you can then read the extra SD card memory from Sentinel to get back to the last working programming you did.

/Ubbe

Chris0516

Premium Subscriber

I highlighted your FB name to get your locale:

Chris0516

Premium Subscriber
All three of the links are P25. The CLMRN is Simulcast, which. Only the SDS100(Handheld), and its' Base/Mobile bretheren(SDS200), can handle.

As for it being a steep learning curve. I am actually inclined to disagree, because. I previously had the BCD325p2. You couldn't do things simple on the BCD325p2. I have the BCD436HP, and the SDS100. Sentinel, and HP Database make them easy to program. Turn off the Zip Code feature. Because, you will hear stuff of no interest to you.

Create a Favorites List of, what you want to hear. Within 30-50mi.

Another way of explaining the making of a Favorites List-

Think of getting a Big Mac, Quarter Pounder, or Double Cheeseburger at McDonalds'. If you want(or don't want) Ketchup, you get to decide The same goes' for whether(or not), you want Mustard, Relish, or Pickles.