SDS100 Sets off radar detector

Ensnared

Interesting. I've driven all over Texas the last 7 or so years (from Texarkana to El Paso to Amarillo to McAllen and everywhere in between) and have never seen a DPS unit with a CB antenna.
Yes, I know. They used to have K40s on the back of the Crown Victoria sedans.

An informed and reliable source of information told me about this. He owns a two-way radio shop and is responsible for installing P25 radios in the patrol cars. Reportedly, they are disallowed from talking back. This person also indicated Troy PD & Temple PD used one as well. I saw the antenna on Temple PD.

One day, while driving toward IH35 on the Temple loop, I talked to the Temple speed cop on the side running radar. LOL. His exact words, "Hello, 61." I was driving that exact speed. I told him that he needed to get a big radio and ditch the crappy antenna he had on top.

In Houston, I used to go to dojang off of Richmond Avenue. The DEA endorsed the place. There was a certificate on the wall from the DEA top dog in Houston. He was the one who either killed or maimed someone driving a bicycle. I believe his name was Marion. Marion was drunk when this happened. I cannot find the story. It has likely been buried.

Master Song knew I worked in the prisons nearby. So, he introduced me to a DEA agent there. After exchanging war stories, the DEA agent took me out to an Oldsmobile 88. He popped the trunk. The agent showed me two sizable transmitters in his trunk. He told me one was UHF.

Then, he showed me the microphone. It looked like the old red LED CB that used to come in some Lincoln Mark V cars. The channel selector was in the microphone. There was one antenna. It looked like the stock on the right side of the car.

He was showed me two bank bags with two different identities (DL, credit cards, etc.) for his job. Shortly after, he was sent to South America.

So, I don't know if DPS uses some type of stealth modified antenna.

I have not spotted any CB antennas on the Troy Units.

After learning about this, I transmitted to a DPS unit at intersection of Highway 6 & IH20. I asked the trooper why in the Hell he did not stop the automobiles who were traveling at the speed of light. I suppose he thought I was in a 18-wheeler. He proceeded to tell me that he was only interested in stopping truckers like me. I responded with a volley of profanity.

If you know any DPS troopers or those who install/maintain P25 law enforcement radios, ask them. I don't know if this is statewide.

I frequently see DPS set up on the southbound side of IH35 near Hillcrest Hospital in Waco. One day, I was laughing about what I saw on the news. I asked if they "had a laugh" about the Chucky Amber alert. I did not identify him as DPS on the radio.

Immediately after I said this, I heard the microphone key up 3 times after I started laughing. Horror-ble Mistake: Texas DPS Accidentally Pushes Amber Alert For 'Chucky' Doll

Last edited:
Is it possible the NSA. has come up with a way to transmit what we are listening to to either a LEO satellite or possibly some sort of tower based system piggybacking on an existing P25 or other digital radio system. The SDS radios could either eavesdrop on user conversations or make a record of which talgroups were being monitored by the user. This may be a system to detect foreign intelligence adversaries using SDS radios.Or more likely just to keep tabs on everyday Americans who have these devices.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Is it possible the NSA. has come up with a way to transmit what we are listening to to either a LEO satellite or possibly some sort of tower based system piggybacking on an existing P25 or other digital radio system. The SDS radios could either eavesdrop on user conversations or make a record of which talgroups were being monitored by the user. This may be a system to detect foreign intelligence adversaries using SDS radios.Or more likely just to keep tabs on everyday Americans who have these devices.
Yeah, that’s it.

N7YUO

Well, I didn't expect this thread to get so much attention!
Someone asked about my vehicle and the model of Cobra.
My vehicle is a 1998 Chevrolet Suburban. Definitely does not have
the sensors like new cars. The Cobra model is ESD7570 which I paid
about 45 dollars new. My SDS100 is only scanning Salt Lake Simul and
Nelson Peak. Sitting in my driveway, the cobra is silent, one bar on steady.
It is in City mode (attenuated).
I turn on the SDS100, and the display begins blinking, indicating a detection.
Sometimes It gets a strong detection and begins beeping a steady 2 beeps per second.
Then it quits and stays silent for awhile. The display shows XK. The audio is the same sound
as door openers.

N7YUO

I didn't intend to have a thread about the pros and cons of radar detectors.
Obviously, no detector is really effective against instant-on radar or Lidar.
However, many times the radar detector has alerted me to the presence of a
radar or Lidar when I was driving the speed limit.
_
On I-215, under the Murray Parkway Ave Bridge and under the bridge of 3100 South
The center barrier provides a convenient spot for the trooper to park
and remain hidden until you are about to drive past him. But the radar detector
gives indication well beyond visual range.
_
In Davis County, US 89 north from state route 193. There is a steep downgrade.
The trooper sits in plain view on the east frontage road with Lidar. The chase cars are out of view
parked on the northbound on ramp from South Weber Drive. It's easy to gain speed on the
downgrade, and if you are unlucky, a chase car comes up behind you and pulls you over.
I am always more vigilant when approaching those areas known for effective speed enforcement.

StickyBit

Regular Listener
Interesting. I've driven all over Texas the last 7 or so years (from Texarkana to El Paso to Amarillo to McAllen and everywhere in between) and have never seen a DPS unit with a CB antenna.

I think that in Utah there are a few of the Highway Patrol vehicles that specifically work Commercial Vehicle Enforcement have CB Radios in them in order to listen in and on rare occasions communicate back with CB equipped commercial trucks.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
I know of a couple of uhp troopers that have some kind of CB monitoring in order to listen on ch 9, this was prior to our area switching to 800, so I'm not sure if this is still the can with so many types of radios they now need to communicate in our area alone...