SDS100 Silent Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

xawen

Hey all. I have a new SDS100 upgraded from a bcd436hp. I loaded all my favorites from the 436, but I'm having an issue with the local SmartZone Type II system. The scanner is stopping on several of the talkgroups like there's a transmission. But, there's no audio. These are groups that I know are active (fire dispatch) and I hear them normally on the 436. Many of the other talkgroups on the same system are working normally.

I'm not sure where to even start troubleshooting why they're silent. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

xawen

It's the MD Anne Arundel system (Anne Arundel County Trunking System, Annapolis, Maryland - Scanner Frequencies). I did just realize it's the Analog talkgroups I'm having issues with. If I hold on them and wait long enough, I do get intermittent transmissions. Wondering if it's just a signal issue. The 436 never had any issues at all, but these TGs could have a bit of static at times. Is it possible that the SDS100 thinks they're too weak and is muting them?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That's your problem. Squelch 0 will hang the scanner on any analog frequency--you've turned squelch completely off. Normal setting is 2 or 3.

xawen

So far I've tried it with squelch set to 0, 1, 2 and 3. I'm not seeing any difference between those settings, except it trying to tune some weak frequencies in my FL that are no good in this location. But that does raise a good question. On the 436, if the squelch was too low it would get hung on weak analog channels. But when that happened, it would put the audio through the speaker even if it was static. Is there any way to get the SDS100 to do that? It seems to be stopping on the right channels (I'm running it next to the 436 right now), it's just muting them.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What frequencies does the system use?
Never mind, I just saw the system link.

What antenna are you using?

xawen

The main one I'm having trouble with is this one. But as I listen longer, I'm noticing the same behavior on convential frequencies (an airport near here on 119.4, 118.05 and 257.8). For all of those, it is stopping (at the same time that the 436 is playing audio) but not playing anything.

Just caught your edit. Using the stock antenna.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
OK to recap:
On analog channels, the SDS100 is stopping scan, showing signal, but no audio is heard. Digital channels work normally. Correct?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I hate to say it, but it sounds like a scanner problem. I can't think of any scanner setting that would cause that, except maybe a negative volume offset that you put only on the analog channels. But I suspect you'd know if you'd done that.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
IMO that's another indication something is possibly wrong with your scanner. Try changing the SD card to see if that fixes things--a bad card can trigger all sorts of weird problems. But if it doesn't fix everything, I would send it to Uniden while it's still under warranty.

xawen

I hate to say it, but it sounds like a scanner problem. I can't think of any scanner setting that would cause that, except maybe a negative volume offset that you put only on the analog channels. But I suspect you'd know if you'd done that.

Yeah, I definitely don't have any offsets in there. Especially considering I do, infrequently, get a bit of audio from those analog tgids. I have only seen that happen on the County SmartZone though.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Try a different card and see if that changes anything. If not, send it in.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Sweet. I honestly wasn't hopeful that would fix the problem, but I figured it was worth a shot. Glad it worked out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.