SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Stopped picking up any signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Well, that would make sense since they came out mid-2018, but by May of 2019, I would think they'd be into 2019 production stock. Maybe they're not selling that well. I'm confused. I know I read at least twice on this forum that digit 2 was production year. How about it, Upman?
Upman is out of touch for a while.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I just told you! The number after the letter (Z) is the year of manufacture.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Well, that would make sense since they came out mid-2018, but by May of 2019, I would think they'd be into 2019 production stock. Maybe they're not selling that well. I'm confused. I know I read at least twice on this forum that digit 2 was production year. How about it, Upman?

I think that was always the general rule with the 2nd digit being the year. The other possibility may be that they produced a boat load of SDS100s in 2018 and those are still what is selling today.

I'm not certain UPMan will be able to answer this one as he was going out of commission for an unknown length of time as of a post he made early last week.

genokearney

Premium Subscriber
You said "I THOUGHT IT WAS". I was asking if anyone knew "for sure". If you're sure, that's good enough for me. It still begs the question, why are there no 2019 manufactured units shipping yet. Strange, I think.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
All of my 4 and 536HPs year of manufacture is the number indicated after the letter in the serial number on the rear of the radios.

As to why no 2019 production? Who knows but like I said earlier, maybe they simply produced enough in 2018 to last well into 2019.

genokearney

Premium Subscriber
Well, this explains my confusion. I could not understand when you were sayin the number after the letter (Z). The serial number displayed internally from the "see scanner information" menu item differs from the sticker behind the battery. Internally it displays 38326088007809-131. On the sticker it says 383Z88007809. Now I see the Z and the trailing 8. I was thinking it was the 8 after the first 3. In either case, I'm still a 2018 model. Odd the 2 serial numbers are different. See pics.20190512_201143.jpg20190512_203546.jpg

Ubbe

It's just the 7809 that are the serial and the 131 are the checksum and the rest are product number, factory location and date codes.

Somebody mentioned that there are serials in the 400 range that have both 2018 and 2019 date codes but if 7809 are still 2018 then that cannot be true and is was just a misunderstanding of what the different digits represent.

/Ubbe

Dark_Side

? The Circuit Boards are Slipping from each other ?

Ok I posted the same type problem
The Circuit Boards are slipping away from each other
People reported sending back units twice
Sometimes getting new units

Watch out:
well after shipping to repair uniden the Circuit Boards are back touching
test look right you get it back and it does not work opp's on
the way back to you Circuit Boards slip away from each other again
now you unit is non working again back in you hands

UPMAN Post to youtube a Disassembly Video of SDS-100 and SDS-200
from factory Thanks (There is plenty coming back for Repair)

Last edited:

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
Good gosh...look at you guys. You guys need to find a hobby....for me this is better than reading the newspaper...totally hilarious. Just listen to the scanner!

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Good gosh...look at you guys. You guys need to find a hobby....for me this is better than reading the newspaper...totally hilarious. Just listen to the scanner!
They do want to listen to the scanner but the name of this thread is "SDS100 Stopped Picking Up Any Signal." They can listen but it's only dead air.

Mox86

Premium Subscriber
So something weird just happened with my SDS100. I have not had any noticeable issues since I bought this one. The last couple of days, I have been leaving it on all day/night. Today when I went home for lunch I noticed that it was unusually quiet. When I looked at it, it appeared to be "stuck" on a certain frequency (analog FD frequency in case this is at all relevant). I advanced it to scan forward but it did not receive anything for a few more minutes even though my others are running fine. I turned it off, and back on again, thinking the old "reboot fixes things" cliche. It seems to have been working for the remainder of the time I was home but I turned it off and am now back at work.

I didn't take the tax day update. But I don't know if my issue is the same as the others in this thread or not.

I really hope I do not have to send this thing in for repair and spend money on shipping and be without the scanner.

:confused:
The same happened to my SDS100. I had to send mine out to Texas. How is yours now?

xusmarine1979

Well, I've just shipped mine out this morning to Texas for the first time. My symptoms are quite similar, and thankfully still under warranty. Anyone else that has had to send theirs in, has it been a pretty easy process other than being apart from your radio for a month or so?

Nasby

Well, I've just shipped mine out this morning to Texas for the first time. My symptoms are quite similar, and thankfully still under warranty. Anyone else that has had to send theirs in, has it been a pretty easy process other than being apart from your radio for a month or so?

Unfortunately, you may have to send it back again after you receive it from the repair shop.

There are plenty of posts from owners who have had to return their units a second time after the notorious cold solder joint was supposedly "fixed."

Cantafordit

I had to send mine back in twice as mentioned by others. They shipped a replacement unit to me the second time, then about a month after I received it they emailed me and accused me of using their UPS account to ship my unit to them. I live in Ireland and have no way of knowing what their UPS account details are or even that they have a UPS account. Luckily I had a copy of the receipt from the UPS office here that I was able to scan and send to them. The SDS100 is great when it works but boy is it trouble when it breaks!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.