SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

ke4yzn

Premium Subscriber
I purchased my SDS100 on 01/17/2020. It worked great. On 2-22-20 I turned it on and nothing. I contacted Uniden support. I tried all their suggestions but nothing worked. I sent it in to Uniden Service in Texas on 2-25-20 and they received it on 2-27-20. Uniden service sent me a notification they received my radio and expected return shipping date would be 3-30-20. Ive heard nothing more. I check the service site for updates and get nothing.

My questions are.
I had my scanner for a month. Why don't Uniden just send me a new replacement?
Is Uniden Service shut down now because of COVID-19?
What is the determining factor as far as replace vs repair?

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
I have sent things to Uniden for repair and got the confirmation they received and nothing further- then the unit showed up! You probably do not want a replacement as it would most likely be a refurbished unit. Give them a chance.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I’ve heard they reserve the right to swap your unit out or another they have repaired or refurbished also. But that was related to a voluntary recall Uniden initiated and they only do it when they can’t offer a reasonable turnaround time to repair your unit. In your particular case, I’m guessing they will repair your unit and return it. The shipping return date of 3/30/2020 is the date they expect they will put it in the mail so give it another week from that date before it shows up at your house. The concern you show is probably driven out of impatience. Which is understandable, but from what you write, I believe Uniden is on track to give you a quick turnaround.

Bob1955

I purchased my SDS100 on 01/17/2020. It worked great. On 2-22-20 I turned it on and nothing. I contacted Uniden support. I tried all their suggestions but nothing worked. I sent it in to Uniden Service in Texas on 2-25-20 and they received it on 2-27-20. Uniden service sent me a notification they received my radio and expected return shipping date would be 3-30-20. Ive heard nothing more. I check the service site for updates and get nothing.

My questions are.
Ke4yzn, call your credit card company and file a dispute. That's my best advise. It isn't fair to have a DOA scanner that is that expensive and is dead after less then 3 months old. American Express is the # 1 card that hates this stuff. You would win 100% and also Mastercard does the same thing.
Hope this helps you.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
They have done exactly that on several occasions, if they decide the original unit is not repairable.

Perhaps not shut down, but staffing is most likely affected. I don't think they would be considered "essential" in the event of a lockdown. Supply chain disruptions from COVID-19 are affecting the availability of new SDS100 units right now, and probably replacement parts as well.

If the cost of repair is above a certain threshold, or when repair has been attempted more than once, they usually replace.

Hit_Factor

My questions are.
...snip

Because the warranty says that's how it will be handled.

"warrantor will repair the defect and return it to you without charge for parts, service, or any other cost (except shipping and handling) incurred by warrantor or its representatives in connection with the performance of this warranty."

Nobody ever reads these things, because for the most part no one ever needs warranty service.

ke4yzn

Premium Subscriber
Well and good but I have yet to receive my SDS100 back from Uniden service. I called today and managed to get someone on the phone but they were little help. At this point Uniden has had my 100 longer than I did. I understand the COVID 19 issue played into the delay. Today I asked for a new 100 be shipped since it has been so long. The rep told me that a Tec is the only person that could do that. This is a joke! Not happy at all with Uniden at this point. If you buy a product and have a problem your on your own pretty much. Maybe I will get it back before the warranty is up. Terrible service program !!!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Well and good but I have yet to receive my SDS100 back from Uniden service. I called today and managed to get someone on the phone but they were little help. At this point Uniden has had my 100 longer than I did. I understand the COVID 19 issue played into the delay. Today I asked for a new 100 be shipped since it has been so long. The rep told me that a Tec is the only person that could do that. This is a joke! Not happy at all with Uniden at this point. If you buy a product and have a problem your on your own pretty much. Maybe I will get it back before the warranty is up. Terrible service program !!!

You could try a private message to the uniden support person:

I am a member of our technical and customer service department. I can help people with troubleshooting, warranty questions, replacement parts and any other questions you may have.

ke4yzn

Premium Subscriber
You could try a private message to the uniden support person:

Thanks at this point Uniden support communication to me has been pretty much zero. I have received only one email stating that they received my SDS100 with a SRO# and estimated ship date that has already came and went. No email stating that they are shut down, No new ship date. I called support asked for a new replacement SDS100 and they refused. At this point because of there lack of communications with me they have lost me as a customer. I have been in communications for many many years. I have bought many products from Uniden. This is a $700 radio not a radar detector, CB or cordless phone. This is a expensive product and Uniden should treat it as such. Originally I was told by the service rep it would be a 2 week turnaround. Uniden received my SDS100 on February 27th.

I deal with support and service departments every week. Even through this COVID19 crisis. All have been able to continue communication and support. Uniden has not. If there is a support rep on the forum no one has reached out to me after posting in the UNIDEN TECH SUPPORT FORUM. This speaks volumes for Uniden tech and customer support.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thanks at this point Uniden support communication to me has been pretty much zero.

When you sent a private message through RR to Uniden Support, you didn't get any answer at all?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So didn't I read the other day in another Thread about someone waiting for their scanner to be repaired and it was revealed that Uniden is closed or at least the repair shop is closed secondary to virus.

Pretty sure I heard that.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So didn't I read the other day in another Thread about someone waiting for their scanner to be repaired and it was revealed that Uniden is closed or at least the repair shop is closed secondary to virus.

Pretty sure I heard that.
Yep.

Saw the same comment. Their location, in Tarrant County, is under the same type of shelter at home decree as Dallas County, where I am. Only essential businesses are permitted to operate. All the restaurants have either closed. or are trying to ride this out with curbside (or 'touch-less' )pickup, to go orders (for those with actual drive thru's), or delivery.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Let's keep this about the subject line and original post please.

Xray

I no doubt would be pissed too, but if their location is locked down due to the pandemic, its tough to see what could be done. Their support people likely are working from home and have no access to returned units or info on them, its likely that there is no one available with the authority to just send a new one.

Lowfront

Premium Subscriber
simple communication explaining the delay would go a long way. Why skirt around the issue and not explain whats up.

Status
Not open for further replies.