SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 stops scanning while plugged to power

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDJHNTR

I’m new to scanners and this is my post so take it easy please. Read a lot of reviews and got suggestions from people another group about to buy and bought the SDS100. I’m in MS. Sharkey county. Was most of our agencies use the P25 Phase 2 ( I believe that’s what it’s called)? Anyway, knew scanner came today and the place I ordered it from naturally agreed to an extra $45 to update the firmware and set it to my county for! Lesson learned there.
Anyway, I turned it own it was set to a simple screen and changed to a detailed screen. That’s The only changes I’ve made. Intentionally anyway!
it seems to be scanning fine and I do hear occasional chatter. Very occasional I might add. my first thing I’m confussed about is when I plug it in to charge while it’s on, it will scan for a few minutes and then the screen freezes or locks up. It will stay locked up for random amounts of time ie...6 minutes or maybe 10 minutes or even 15 minutes. What’s on the display while locked may change from time to time also. No set amount of time and then it will start to scan for a few minutes and then lock or freeze again. There is no chatter going on while this is happening. Is this normal or do I have a setting wrong or what?
i just wanted simple. Turn on, adjust volume and squelch and done! But i see now that’s not going to be the case. Any and all help, tips and or advise will be greatly appreciate!

tvengr

Well Known Member
Your USB power source may not have the required current capability to operate and charge at the same time. Do this: Menu > Settings > Battery Options > Set Charge While On > Disable. You can press AVOID to exit the menus. See if your scanner functions properly after turning off the charging.

JDJHNTR

Your USB power source may not have the required current capability to operate and charge at the same time. Do this: Menu > Settings > Battery Options > Set Charge While On > Disable. You can press AVOID to exit the menus. See if your scanner functions properly after turning off the charging.

Im using the supplied cable and usb charger. Also the radio does charge while plugged up as when I checked it this morning the green fully charged light was present and it wasn’t when I went to bed last night? I will try your suggestion also and report back.

tvengr

Well Known Member
You can do the same thing by pressing the SYSTEM soft key, but there are times that is not available. I also use AVOID to exit the quick key navigation menu.

IndyScan

Always Connected...
Premium Subscriber
I was thinking I was going to wear out the menu key by pressing it so much to exit out of the menu, thanks for the shortcut!

I was trying to run the ProScan software and charge my SDS100 off a (cheap) MS Surface & had all kinds of issues with power. Maybe the power block you received (or the cable) is defective?

JDJHNTR

I found the issue thanks to “tvengr” suggestion! Thank you for that!
I had it originally plugged into a power strip that had a couple more items plugged into it.
When trying the suggestion I grabbed it all and took it to my office we’re I was working and plugged it directly into a wall outlet and it charges and scans fine. So, don’t use a power strip! Thanks again everyone

Ubbe

You can do the same thing by pressing the SYSTEM soft key, but there are times that is not available.
Even though it doesn't indicate on the display, the system soft button can always be used to go directly to scan from any menu level. At least with all the places I use in the menu. I would advise against using Avoid to step out of functions as it might inadvertently make a change to a setting.

/Ubbe

Ubbe

.... plugged it directly into a wall outlet and it charges and scans fine.
Did you have anything else connected to the scanner, maybe a coax for the antenna? It must have been some sort of ground loop in the mains power that went thru the scanner and out to an external antenna or an audio cable to a PC or something like that. Just the power strip in itself sounds like a very odd and strange thing if it could make your scanner stop scanning.

It could have been some very strong interference coming from the charger when it had another mains phase to use, or perhaps you have that strip connected to an UPS that generate some radio interferencies.

/Ubbe

JDJHNTR

Well, the power strip had my wireless router plugged into it also. I unplugged it from the strip and took it into my office. Plugged it directly into the wall socket and it scans and charges without any problems.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Even though it doesn't indicate on the display, the system soft button can always be used to go directly to scan from any menu level.
If you get hung up in the quick key navigation menu or want to exit without making a change, the SYSTEM soft button does not work. The AVOID button does. That also applies to the SYSTEM button on the BCD436HP and BCD536HP.

JDJHNTR

Well.......I can now add to my confusion! Heres the screen it freezes on and yes it is doing it again a s this time it’s not plugged in!
may be normal and I’m chasing a problem that doesn’t exist?
FAB4B43C-44AF-4EA0-A067-2343C9505500.jpeg

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I would avoid that channel as it's probably picking up interference from something in your house.

JDJHNTR

And here’s the other it freezes on sometimes and It’s my local law. I live in a small delta town. We have the police department and sheriffs department in Sharkey county. The dispatch is only about 1/2 mile from my house. I’m also afraid I’m not hearing everything I should be.
it will scan for hours sometime without a peep. We have 2-3 cars on duty at all times. I would think I’d hear more than I am?
F15AF581-DE96-4431-B4B3-73B22A88BCAB.jpeg

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
And here’s the other it freezes on sometimes and It’s my local law. I live in a small delta town. We have the police department and sheriffs department in Sharkey county. The dispatch is only about 1/2 mile from my house. I’m also afraid I’m not hearing everything I should be.
it will scan for hours sometime without a peep. We have 2-3 cars on duty at all times. I would think I’d hear more than I am?
View attachment 87208
You'd probably get a better answer in the Mississippi forum. Certainly, the odds of someone in your vicinity seeing the thread and commenting might be more helpful. If you want to have that done, do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the Report in the lower left corner of one of your posts, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there.

Looking at your city & county, the license listed for your PD, WXP364, was cancelled in 2017. There is not a replacement license, under the city's name, for those frequencies. The license listed for City Services, KUV559, was renewed in 2014, and is valid until 2023.

The license listed on your county's database page for the Sheriff's office, WQGV370, also expired in 2017, and there is no active license showing for the county on the listed frequency, 155.835, nor is there another listing under the county's name.

The database page for your county is noted that the Sheriff's Office is using the statewide system, MSWIN.
Possibly, someone in the Mississippi forum can provide additional information. There is only one talkgroup listed on MSWIN for your county, but normally, if 'everything' moved to MSWIN, one would expect more than one talkgroup. Do you have MSWIN programmed in a Favorites list? And are you scanning that? For MSWIN, you might want to try using ID SEARCH, to see if there are other active talkgroups that have not been submitted to the database. You can't use ID SEARCH if only using your location & the main database. But you can use that if using a Favorites list.

Since it does not appear that those lowband frequencies for the PD are no longer in use, you may want to just lock them out. Sounds like you are getting interference on them anyway, making your scanner hang up.

JDJHNTR

Steve, thank you buddy for taking the time to reply with such an in-depth response.
it looks to be scanning MSWIN Sharkey and regional?
In the last 3 hours Ive only heard one call out and it was MSHP.
It just doesn’t seem plausible they there would be so little traffic?
Thinking I need to find someone that I can get on the phone and have them walk me through setting it up all over again and just pay them when we’re through!
BB9555F9-4A71-4271-B6C9-CB2B209B5394.jpeg

Ubbe

If you get hung up in the quick key navigation menu or want to exit without making a change, the SYSTEM soft button does not work. The AVOID button does.
Yes, you're right. But I would advice against using the Avoid button, just press the Menu button instead to go out of entries you do directly, like quick keys or entering a quick save frequency. The System soft button works in all menu levels.

/Ubbe

IndyScan

Always Connected...
Premium Subscriber
Yes, you're right. But I would advice against using the Avoid button, just press the Menu button instead to go out of entries you do directly, like quick keys or entering a quick save frequency. The System soft button works in all menu levels.

/Ubbe

/Ubbe, with all due respect, if you had a SDS100 (your signature indicates you don't) you would realize wha a PAIN it is to use the menu button to back out of some of the deep settings. While the System button works SOME of the time, the AVIOD button works ALL the time. I'l take the "risk" of a temp lockout over clicking the menu button 10 times...

Status
Not open for further replies.