SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Terrible Reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
I just recently got the SDS100 a few days ago. I have had my BDC396T for a few years. I put them side-by-side and tuned into a local LAPD dispatch channel (conventional P25) and put the channel in hold mode, using stock antennas on both and both set to 2 on the squelch. My 396 would pick up the transmission first, then a second later the SDS would pick it up; then sometimes the 396 would drop off the last second and the SDS would keep going until the end. This happened with almost every transmission. Both of them would drop the transmission occasionally, but at different times. Overall, the 396 picked up and held on to a call for more of a single transmission than the SDS did. I tried this on other LAPD dispatch channels with the same results. I was hoping for more out of the SDS and am somewhat disappointed in this.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I just recently got the SDS100 a few days ago. I have had my BDC396T for a few years. I put them side-by-side and tuned into a local LAPD dispatch channel (conventional P25) and put the channel in hold mode, using stock antennas on both and both set to 2 on the squelch. My 396 would pick up the transmission first, then a second later the SDS would pick it up; then sometimes the 396 would drop off the last second and the SDS would keep going until the end. This happened with almost every transmission. Both of them would drop the transmission occasionally, but at different times. Overall, the 396 picked up and held on to a call for more of a single transmission than the SDS did. I tried this on other LAPD dispatch channels with the same results. I was hoping for more out of the SDS and am somewhat disappointed in this.

I monitor the CPD's 460Mhz. analog system with the filter settings, and they beat my 436hp (Even with the copper tape on the battery compartment that was needed:(), and was equeal to my 396XT that I used prior to that. Without starting another thread on Filters, check the forums, it's been discussed before.

I've noticed many here are not familiar with filters and immediately resort to the "scanner sucks on analog". They can be set to Global (entire scanner)..Site (specific trunking system) or Department (analog systems). Start small with a department, work your way up if it's better, if it is, perform a Read from Scanner to save your changes.

One additional change I forgot about, change all the analog frequencies to FM Modulation. It defaults to Auto, which usually ends up on NFM. Then use the Volume Offset to compensate for the slight audio drop out.

Have you tried any of these suggestions?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Hot DJ Dave, read this entire thread. No sense in repeating everything LOL ;)

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
If your using the stock antenna and not changed any of the filter settings you are not using the SDS100 at its full potential.
For my SDS100 getting a better antenna and testing out different filters made the scanner perform way way better.

Status
Not open for further replies.