SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 USB Port Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

attinson

Hey all, I hope this isn’t a duplicate post, but I did a little search and didn’t see any answers.

I managed to lose the little rubber port cover off the side of my SDS100. Uniden is saying they are unable to send me one and the only option is to send it in to them for service. 100ish bucks for mail-in service to get a little rubber cover replaced seems like major overkill.... but at the same time now my scanner isn’t water or dust resistant anymore.

Does anyone know where I could possibly find one of those covers, or have any other advice on the topic?

attinson

I might be able to 3D print one.
I’d definitely be interested in purchasing that if you did.
Considering how with the radio companies like Motorola you can buy everything from the stickers on the front to the knobs on the top.... it surprises me that Uniden doesn’t offer parts like that.

attinson

Amazon has a bunch of options.

Yeah I’ve got a little package of those on the way as a short term solution to at least keep dust out of the ports themselves, but the part I’m talking about is a waterproof flap that’s about a half inch by an inch and a half that seals off the whole area where the ports are, and is necessary to keep the radio water/weather resistant. Thanks though.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Can a 3D printer make it as flexible/pliable as a stock piece? If so, I could use one also.

TPU is flexible, so yes. The only caveat is that I need a damaged scanner to get measurements on the part that fits into the case at the bottom for attachment. I'd prefer not to tear out a good cover to get measurements.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Yeah I took my radio apart when I first got it to save the rubber port because I assumed it wouldn't last long by constantly folding it up to plug in the USB cable. Same with the top one for the speaker. But it looks like they are glued in of some sort. Not just form fitted in there like most of my radios. So I left everything alone and closed the radio back up. So I don't know how easy it would be to replace them without pulling stuff apart.

attinson

Yeah I took my radio apart when I first got it to save the rubber port because I assumed it wouldn't last long by constantly folding it up to plug in the USB cable. Same with the top one for the speaker. But it looks like they are glued in of some sort. Not just form fitted in there like most of my radios. So I left everything alone and closed the radio back up. So I don't know how easy it would be to replace them without pulling stuff apart.
There was definitely some sort of glue in the hole where the cover was connected, which makes me even more confused as to how I lost the thing to begin with.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Jon, If I got some pretty precise measurements of the hole would that help?
Yes. The dimensions of the hole to the tenth of a millimeter, as well as the location of the hole relative to the front, rear, and bottom sides of the rectangular port hole. Preferably marked on a photo.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
TPU is flexible, so yes. The only caveat is that I need a damaged scanner to get measurements on the part that fits into the case at the bottom for attachment. I'd prefer not to tear out a good cover to get measurements.

What about if someone sent you a cover that isn't attached to the scanner? Is that all you need for measurements? I think I lost mine in my vehicle, did a quick search but haven’t found it. I’m waiting for warmer weather to do a thorough search... if I do find it I will let you know here in this forum and you can tell me how to get it to you.

attinson

Yes. The dimensions of the hole to the tenth of a millimeter, as well as the location of the hole relative to the front, rear, and bottom sides of the rectangular port hole. Preferably marked on a photo.
Might be a couple days but I’ll try to get some good measurements on it and I’ll put them on here, assuming nobody comes up with a better plan first.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What about if someone sent you a cover that isn't attached to the scanner?
I'd prefer to get measurements from the scanner, since measuring flexible things isn't usually very precise.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I'd prefer to get measurements from the scanner, since measuring flexible things isn't usually very precise.
Understood. I will not send you the piece if I find it. Are you going to investigate the method of attachment to the scanner case... possibly an alternate attachment method, or use the same method Uniden uses? It’s the attachment method currently used that is deficient, yes? I don’t know if the cap/cover simply gets pulled out, leaving the piece intact or it gets torn off...

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's normally glued in place, and is not easily removed. I suspect the glue wasn't applied at the factory or something, the cover falling out is not a common problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.