SDS100 Users Nova Scotia

Status
Not open for further replies.

_DeS_

Any SDS100 users in NS that could help me get my head around programming this beast (coming from a GRE device) or have a .hpe file that they care to share that might help me visualize what I'm doing ? Thanks !

ve1sef

The SDS100 uses the same Sentinel software as the BC436/536 HP does. I'd download that first and then check out YouTube. There are several videos regarding use/programming of the SDS100.

In the meantime, if you use the "zip" feature, choose Canada and enter first 3 of your postal code. When it asked if you want the database, press Enter.

That will get you started.

_DeS_

How'd you make out DeS?

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. Busy time of year. So, I have learned a fair bit. As I learn, I don't understand more and more LOL If that makes sense. I have been back and forth with software from Sentinel, ARC and Proscan, I can't really decided what one I like best.

I opted not to scan by location. From what I read, it sounds like it's not the optimal way to go. So, I have all the Sites from the System I'm monitoring programmed, but only enable the ones I know are in reception area.

The SDS seems slow to scan through the sites. I tossed in some conventional stuff with that P25 site and seems to be going well. I'm looking into P25 threshold tuning now as it seems it may be an issue for me. Once I get that down then on to the DMR stuff, LOL. I figure that won't be for a bit.

Are you a SDS100 user VE1SEF that I could bounce a few questions off ?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Entering a zip code for scanning isn't the most effective way to use location scanning, since Range gets set to 10 miles when you enter a zip code. That gets added to the service radius for each item in the database. It also locates you at the geographic center of your zip code, which may be miles away from your actual location. Both of those things mean you scan stuff you probably can't actually hear. Manually entering your GPS coordinates in the scanner menu, and setting Range between 0 and 5 miles will usually help.

P25 Sites take about 1-2 seconds to process the control channel data broadcast in an endless loop. The loop takes about 1 second to broadcast, and the scanner needs a complete loop of data. If the scanner starts in the middle of a loop, it has to wait for the next one to start.

ve1sef

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. Busy time of year. So, I have learned a fair bit. As I learn, I don't understand more and more LOL If that makes sense. I have been back and forth with software from Sentinel, ARC and Proscan, I can't really decided what one I like best.

I opted not to scan by location. From what I read, it sounds like it's not the optimal way to go. So, I have all the Sites from the System I'm monitoring programmed, but only enable the ones I know are in reception area.

The SDS seems slow to scan through the sites. I tossed in some conventional stuff with that P25 site and seems to be going well. I'm looking into P25 threshold tuning now as it seems it may be an issue for me. Once I get that down then on to the DMR stuff, LOL. I figure that won't be for a bit.

Are you a SDS100 user VE1SEF that I could bounce a few questions off ?

No, I've had a 536 since 2014. But there a lot of similarities. I prefer to use Sentinel to for programing the 536, I have ARC Patrol as well. At first it was a major learning going from a 996XT.

Now as mentioned in the other post, there is are couple issues using our postal code. Since you live in NS, you know that the first 3 of the postal code covers a region, while the last 3 are the exact community. (i.e B0J cover coastal villages from Sheet Harbour to Mahone Bay) The database will download anywhere for 2-6 county lists plus Provincial and Federal and set the range on the scanner to 50 miles(81 Km).
Thus, as mentioned in the other post it's likely to pull in anywhere 150-500 channels, more than you need or can actually receive depending on distance.

There are several options; set the avoid on the federal agencies you don't want to listen, Reduce the range on the scanner from 50 miles to a smaller radius or location based scanning without a GPS (checkout K4DPS videos on YouTube, he covers all these topics ).
In house, I use the location based scanning without GPS. Plus, I've created my own favorites list to avoid systems and/or user I'm not interesting in.
As you get more comfortable with your SDS100, you'll find out what works for you.

In closing, as much as this goes against human nature, read the manual and when in doubt read the manual.
Any further questions let me know here or send a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.