SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Vs. 436HP on analog other digital modes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
There was a request in another thread for a comparison of the SDS100 and BCD436HP for DMR. I was able to get a short video of the 2 scanners operating on a DMR system. Sorry, wasn't that busy this weekend. Over the course of the week I will record a few more including NXDN and some analog. I'm doing this with my phone so the videos aren't perfect.

I hope those that want to buy an SDS100 will find the videos useful.

DMR https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtHjEP1HrVUuk3k85PELb_rOy_JR

rs16

Premium Subscriber
I also am curious about the SDS100 on analog frequencies. For $650, it should be able to handle analog I would think. Any different than the 436 on analog?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I can't tell much difference between the SDS100 and 436 on anything other than simulcast. With simulcast, the SDS 100 is much improved.

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
Sure their will be a few that chime in and say the analog n the SDS100 is poor.
SDS100 has been pretty good in my area.
Receive Analog systems 60 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
i know this is not the thread for this, but is anyone having probs with the sds100 in overheating or anything else? or is that just a few complainers? really wanting to get one, but if there are issues, i will wait. have my 436.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Sure their will be a few that chime in and say the analog n the SDS100 is poor.
SDS100 has been pretty good in my area.
Receive Analog systems 60 miles

My first SDS100 was very poor on analog. The refurbished unit I was given as a replacement is as good if not better than the x36.

i know this is not the thread for this, but is anyone having probs with the sds100 in overheating or anything else? or is that just a few complainers? really wanting to get one, but if there are issues, i will wait. have my 436.

The SDS100 does get warm. It does not overheat. We must remember, the hardware in this scanner will get warm, just like a computer.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
BTW, I apologize for not having time to keep making vids for this thread. Work has been keeping me busy since November. I'll try to get some analog vids up in the next few days.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I think it's a mix of a few complainers, whose units were programmed or set up correctly, but a larger group of users whose scanners did not meet the expected performance. There's enough complaints, from members who have had scanners for quite some time, and who have have had helpful suggestions on other matters (which, to me, indicates knowledgeability) , that indicate that there are problem units out there. My impression is that most of those were from the 'pilot production' units that the 'early adopters' received. In most cases, these units were returned to either the dealer (if in the specified time period), or were sent in for repair. For the most part, once the repaired is received, most complaints for that particular owner were resolved.

My first SDS100 was very poor on analog. The refurbished unit I was given as a replacement is as good if not better than the x36.
sibbley's unit was partly an exception. His went back to Uniden, twice, and the same issues existed. But once he got an exchange unit, results were much better. There have been a couple of other members that eventually got exchanges, and that resolved their issues.

The SDS100 that I have is one of the pilot production, early adopter, scanners. I have not seen the 'deafness' on Vhf or Uhf that some have reported. Dallas (city) is mostly Uhf, whereas Dallas (county), and many of the smaller suburbs, use Vhf-high. All of this suggests to me that there is a a larger than usual variance in some percentage of the units being produced. Whether it's a failure due to lapses in quality controls, or a batch of questionable parts used at some time during the process, a certain number of defective or under-performing radios were shipped. I would hope, and expect, that Uniden has tried to identify and squash as many of these gremlins as possible. What they've seen in firmware updates, and problems found on units sent back for service, should help give the SDS200 a more successful launch.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I also am curious about the SDS100 on analog frequencies. For $650, it should be able to handle analog I would think. Any different than the 436 on analog?

YMMV as always based on many factors but as an owner of the 396, 436, SDS100, G1/Minitor V, and a PSR800 that lives in an area that is still 95-99% VHF high band and UHF (I like the SDS for the much better display and for quite a bit of travel I do in areas that are P25 where it comes in handy), I have to say I don't notice much of a difference in performance from one to the other.

Again though. It always depends on where I have each one of them sitting, the antenna I'm using, weather conditions, what I ate for dinner, etc... But just like my 15X, 996, and 536 all piled next to each other. Each base and mobile scanners seem to have channels they excel at pulling in that the others struggle with and barely get at all or are completely deaf to. Each all seem to have channels that they do "OK at best" with as well. As time goes on and I learn what they do well with and what they don't along with where and how I will be using them I have tweaked my programming to maximize each one to make sure they are scanning stuff they do well on and not having in stuff they don't.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
YMMV as always based on many factors but as an owner of the 396, 436, SDS100, G1/Minitor V, and a PSR800 that lives in an area that is still 95-99% VHF high band and UHF (I like the SDS for the much better display and for quite a bit of travel I do in areas that are P25 where it comes in handy), I have to say I don't notice much of a difference in performance from one to the other.

long story short, in your opinion? what does the 436 do better than the 100. or vice versa. i read that it all depends, and understand that, but overall impressions between the 436 and the 100? this may help some people on the fence. i am def on the fence. i understand some people are saying the radio gets warm, others say hot. 436 never gets either IMOP. i love the 436, but i like the color display on the 100. it is purely an aesthetic thing for me. dont like the battery pack deal with the 100. i'd rather use my rechargebles. i know i could prob end up coughing up $ for a spare batter pack then the upgrades, etc etc. before that one op says i am crying, i am not crying. just stating i would be spending more $. i have plenty of radios WELL over this price range.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
I see the same with with my SDS100 (early adapter) with my 436's 536's and no overheating problems (warm yes HOT NO) but you know what I have been labeled.
you sir, are a "fill in blank" and all your opinions should thus be deemed invalid. classic ad hominem :p the troll who follows my posts from south texas can google that one, copy and paste as he surely can't spell it. right after he posts pics of radios he does not own. hahahah. i enjoy your posts, so keep them coming, sir. dont worry about the labelers. been following your posts for a long time.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Dear Mr Reid if you would ask nicely I would let you connect to my home setup with teamviewer and control every scanner I have listed as I own and operate over $8000 in scanners as soon as my SDS200 arrives I will have 15 desktop scanners running on my home desktop at the same time. Point 2 if you knew your flags and would read my BIO you would see I am in West Tennessee not South Texas. I am a Ham also with an Electronics Degree from 1979. I never attacked you not sure why you attacked me.

palmerjrusa

My evaluation of the sds100 (firmware 1.07.02) vs. the 436 (firmware 1.23.00):

On local systems where the signal is strong I don't really detect any difference but when scanning a system (450 MHz region, FM mod.) in a neighboring state where the signal is weak (>100 dBm) the sds100 struggles to receive signals the 436 has no problem reading.

This is also apparent in the commercial aviation part of the spectrum. If I tune to an AWOS frequency (124.875 MHz, AM mod.) the signal comes in stronger on the 436 compared to the sds100. For example, I can collapse my SRH789 antenna completely on the 436 and the AWOS signal is still readable, while doing the same with the sds100 renders the signal so faint it's completely unreadable.

My impression is that, overall, the 436 is a slightly more sensitive scanner than the sds100.

Last edited:

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Dear Mr Reid if you would ask nicely I would let you connect to my home setup with teamviewer and control every scanner I have listed as I own and operate over $8000 in scanners as soon as my SDS200 arrives I will have 15 desktop scanners running on my home desktop at the same time. Point 2 if you knew your flags and would read my BIO you would see I am in West Tennessee not South Texas. I am a Ham also with an Electronics Degree from 1979. I never attacked you not sure why you attacked me.
think you missed the point brother. read it again. i was stating that you get labeled whatever, backing up what you said. was not "attacking" you in any way. if we are bringing up degrees, i have three, ba, ma, PhD. not sure why that matters. also, i have many many scanners. too many to count. i was on your side, not attacking you. have another cup of coffee brother.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
My evaluation of the sds100 (firmware 1.07.02) vs the 436 (firmware 1.23.00):

On local systems where the signal is strong I don't really detect any difference but when scanning a system (450 MHz region, FM mod.) in a neighboring state where the signal is weak (> 100 dBm) the sds100 struggles to receive signals the 436 has no problem reading.

This is also apparent in the commercial aviation part of the spectrum. If I tune to an AWOS frequency (124.875 MHz, AM mod.) the signal comes in stronger on the 436 compared to the sds100. For example, I can collapse my SRH789 antenna completely on the 436 and the AWOS signal is still readable, while doing the same with the sds100 renders the signal so faint it's completely unreadable.

My overall impression is that, overall, the 436 is a slightly more sensitive scanner than the sds100.
great information. and in the end. the 100 is $650 plus upgrades and an aftermarket antenna. i may stick with my 436 and deal with not having a color display. i will be interested in the 200 though, after people test it some and find out what fixes it needs before ordering.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
but, i do appologize if it was not clear i was backing you and being sarcastic against your labelers. it was early, thought my sarcasm was obvious.

palmerjrusa

great information. and in the end. the 100 is $650 plus upgrades and an aftermarket antenna. i may stick with my 436 and deal with not having a color display. i will be interested in the 200 though, after people test it some and find out what fixes it needs before ordering.

No problem. When I loaded the latest sds100 firmware yesterday, I initially thought that had made a significant improvement in the sds100's sensitivity, however, after more playing around with antennas etc. I think it's only a slight improvement and that's just my subjective impression.

I love the sds100 display though, also its very solid and robust construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.