SDS100 vs. AR-DV10 - which to buy

vselic

Dear All,

I would kindly ask for your help. At my conutry, there are various types of analog and mostly digital-dmr communications that i want to listen to, we have some encrypted tetra also, but as it's not possible to listen, it's trivial in this case. At the moment, i'm scanning with opengd77, but those are low budget stations with this FW (bad voice, bad rx etc.), so i would like to advance to something more. I cannont decide, which of mentioned scanners to buy. I have some questions:
- is there any additional software addons that I need to buy, if i want to listen to cap+, con+ or hytera systems on aor or uniden or it's in the basic fw? I have seen it's also possible to find gssi on tetra, even encrypted...
- can you make a scan list, that is a mix of cap+, con+, analog etc. repeaters? For example on opengd77, i put cap+ repeaters as convencional, added some analog etc. and scan it through. I need a scanner, that is capable to scan through those systems altogether. There are idk. 10-20 frequencies to be scanned
- can you listen cap+ as con+ repater? We actually have cap+ reapaters, but mostly don't work as trunked
- does those two scanners ignore RAS - motorola system?

Thank you for your help and answers

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
They are not comparable products, AOR doesn't support trunking for P25, NXDN or DMR. The only scanners that support trunk tracking for DMR or NXDN are the Uniden HP 4/536 or SDS 1/200. And yes there are pretty inexpensive upgrades needed to monitor DMR, and/or NXDN. And yeah scanners totally ignore the RAS bits.

Unfortunately there is currently zero competition in terms of scanners or commercial radios that passively monitor DMR or NXDN trunking protocols. Same with P25 simulcast, the only non-uniden product supporting simulcast is Unication and it's not really a scanner.

All that being said, if you want to listen on your computer it's much cheaper to get a few RTL SDR dongles and DSD+ Fastlane. You can monitor many flavors of DMR & NXDN for under $100.

Last edited:

vselic

Hello,

the truth is, i don't need trunk tracking - just scanning through cap+ repeaters but programmed as con. But yes, understandable. I have rtl-sdr + mentioned opengd77 - cheapest way to monitor systems.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Two entirely different animals, I own both.
Bottom line before I get into the details: SDS100 = Trunk Tracking Scanner. AR-DV10 = Wideband Communication Receiver
One of the many principle differences between the two is the DV10 covers frequencies below 25mhz & offers single sideband modulation whereas the SDS100 does not.

Now the nitty gritty:
The AR-DV10 does not trunk track at all. You can listen to the frequencies on MOTOTRBO trunked systems conventionally but that's it (only color code is displayed on screen, no TGID, no slot) Honestly, quite the disappointment given the amount of money you need to shell out to get one. On the other end of the coin the digital mode offerings of the DV10 blow the SDS100 out of the water (D-Star, YSF & Tetra are not offered with the SDS100) In order to properly trunk track CAP+, CON+, etc you'll need a DMR capable trunk tracking scanner. The SDS100 with DMR upgrade will work fine to serve this purpose

Lastly I'll refer you to a forum search query with all posts with prefix AR-DV10 should you want to research a few threads mentioning features and issues to guide you in making an informed decision. There are also threads started pretty much daily on the Uniden Forums regarding the SDS100. Good luck with whatever you decide

Last edited:

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

the truth is, i don't need trunk tracking - just scanning through cap+ repeaters but programmed as con. But yes, understandable. I have rtl-sdr + mentioned opengd77 - cheapest way to monitor systems.
Cap+ is a trunking protocol, so is Con+. Are they extremely slow systems?