SDS100 vs BCD436HP - CT

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
I am looking into a scanner to use in the state of CT. I have a VP8000 on order, but it doesn't do Non Affiliate Scanning.

I am looking to scan the CLMRN (a p25 phase 2). As that is the only thing I cannot listen to on my new radio. However I want to listen to conventional systems if I'm working an event.

I am also wondering if there is an sds100 battery charger for the car.

Thanks!

JethrowJohnson

What county will ya use it in? Whether or not your county uses an LSM (Linear Simulcast Modulation) site would determine whether or not you'd need an SDS100, because that's the only scanner designed for those systems.

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
I currently use an SDS200 at home. But when I look at a scanner the biggest thing that gets me is the battery life...

I would be using it in Hartford County.

But when I look at a scanner the biggest thing that gets me is the battery life...
Then you probably know that the 325P2 is probably the worst, in terms of battery operation.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Make sure you buy from a supplier who has a generous return policy like Scannermaster.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
When I looked, I found several Hatford sites in the following system, CLMRN trunked system.

If you are interested in the CT state police, given the number sites within the system, I would go with the SDS 100. I also found an EDACS analog system for the county. To me, it looks like there is a combined police dispatch.

If the EDACS system is accurate, it looks like there is no EDACS digital, Pro-Voice.

There is a possibility that your county might have more talk groups in the future, CLMRN.

The SDS100 and SDS 200 are the best radios since they decode.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I am also wondering if there is an sds100 battery charger for the car.

Thanks!
You can used the supplied cable with a cigarette lighter adapter that has a USB port on it, and it will Charge While On. This setting is in the scanner under the Battery Options and has to be changed from the default setting of OFF to ON. It will trickle charge, but it will charge slow. I do this on longer car rides, works good.

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
You can used the supplied cable with a cigarette lighter adapter that has a USB port on it, and it will Charge While On. This setting is in the scanner under the Battery Options and has to be changed from the default setting of OFF to ON. It will trickle charge, but it will charge slow. I do this on longer car rides, works good.
Does that charger generate RFI?

Cheeseburgers

I use a HP2 and can pick up CLMRN just fine, Farmington Valley... Best performance was a toss up between P25rx and a G4/G5, or if you're adventurous 4+ SDR dongles and SDR Trunk

The SDS100 for me performed worse than the P25rx and the G series Unucations... sooo I did not hold on to it.

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
I ended up going through an SDS100, and G5 Unication and settled on carrying a XL-200P. I didn't like the Unication G5 because of non-mixing of conventional and trunked scan lists. Once BK releases DMR with their BKR9000 it'll replace my VP8000 (I have no use for NXDN).

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Then you probably know that the 325P2 is probably the worst, in terms of battery operation.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Make sure you buy from a supplier who has a generous return policy like Scannermaster.
The 325P2 comes with a cigarette lighter power plug in. Just used it a couple weeks ago.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
That is the most disgusting reason for promoting any scanner! Smoking, by nature of the very habit. sends chemicals into the air that are dangerous for people around them.
That's the most disgusting post here. Karen must not know all cars come with 12v sockets.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
That is the most disgusting reason for promoting any scanner! Smoking, by nature of the very habit. sends chemicals into the air that are dangerous for people around them.
Its for power, NOT smoking! Not all vehicles have USB ports. The cigarette lighters are slowly disappearing.