SDS100 vs BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I don't either, the main thing is that speech is intelligible. There's a definite difference when listening with high quality headphones, though.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Local LAW here sounds the same on my NX-5300 as they do on my 436 536 325p2 996p2 sds100 sds200. It depends on the user on the radio some sound good some talk soft and mumble and sound like they have a mouth full of cotton.

I can totally agree with that... I have one local law dispatcher I'd like to shove the mike... Ahh... Nevermind... LOL

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
When I first got my sds100 I was put off by the audio. As things developed I only use the SDS radios at home now as I use Mot gear for mobile and portable use on my local P2 simulcast system and that's because of the volume punch I need in the car or portable application.

I actually use very old Radio Shack communication speakers, for those who remember, the square ones, not the newer rounded ones.

I have gotten to the point that I don't even use the apx 7000 on my home set up anymore, I actually find the SDS radios to have Superior modulation on my local system. I don't need that volume punch I get from the Motorola while I'm in the house. I guess you get used to it but I prefer the SDS audio in my home setup now, it's easier to understand.

Go figure, LOL.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Uniden 436 = Nikon D7200 with a kit lens
Uniden SDS 100 = Nikon D850 with "good glass"

Either way both are good devices with fine results. The more costly one has more features and the end results are at least a tad better. Like with so many other things, you get what you pay for.

In other words after having a 436 and SDS 100, the 436 is used mostly for fire tone out and the SDS 100 is the workhorse.

Rishayan

If you don't like the sound of the SDS100 internal speaker, an external speaker or headphones will solve that problem. The speaker is small and a little tinny sounding (size limitations and waterproofing), but the audio amp feeding the speaker is good quality.
Yes I agree with you. When I use good headphones, the SDS 100 sounds so much better. Without, it sounds tinny and horrible. I also have the 436, which does sound much better, without headphones, on non-simulcast systems than the SDS 100. I would also like to point out that if you get the DMR upgrade on the SDS 100, it is well worth it, as many non government systems are now DMR or soon will be going DMR. Compared to the Whistler scanners, DMR on the Uniden sounds so much clearer and readable.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I disagree. My 436 and 996 are my workhorses. My 7 SDS200's are my news stations at home- don't need the biased news in my house.
You can certainly try them on MARCS but I doubt you’ll have any luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.