SDS100 Wake/Johnston Favorites

nunzii

Premium Subscriber
Apologies if this isn't the proper place to post, but I figured those familiar with the North Carolina area might be familiar. How do you have your favorites lists set up? I am new to scanners and the terminology in general - I recently picked up an SDS100 after remembering how my dad and I used to listen to these when I was young, bringing back many old memories. I'm trying to create my favorites instead of scanning the entire database with service-type filters to make things faster and easier for me to follow certain things happening. Bear with me while I learn the terminology, and I may be asking things that aren't 100% correct.

For example, Wake EMS within Wake/Cary P25 may give a TAC channel to change to, but then I have to flip over my hold to the Wake/Cary PS Tac department to find the TAC channel, all while scrolling through a bunch of other counties and departments that I don't even need. I'm also unfamiliar with the Site IDs and knowing if I need to exclude any or just let the default scan everything.

If this needs to be posted elsewhere, I can repost it to the correct place and remove this; just let me know.

AA4BK

Welcome! I find it's easier to not switch channels manually when you hear something like that. Just load all the channels you want, and let your scanner receive what you want. When they switch and key up, your scanner will probably receive that transmission anyway unless someone else is talking on another channel you're monitoring. If you're really concerned about certain channels, set priority to increase the chances of hearing those conversations. You're not going to always hear everything unless you have one scanner per channel, but you can catch most of what's going on!

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Actually what would work better for what Nunzii is asking for is "Number Tags":
A Number Tag allows you to quickly park on one channel/talkgroup out of the thousands in memory.
This is perfect when you are trying to park on a specific PS TAC TG on either the Wake or Cary systems.
Easier to Read SDS100/200 Digital Scanner Manual

Using Number Tags
If two Favorites Lists have the same number tag, they will be selected in sequence. The first time you select the number tag, the scanner will go to the first Favorites List assigned to that number tag; if you select the same number tag again, it will go to the 2nd Favorites List assigned to that number tag, and so on. The same rule applies to System and Channel number tags (So don't start with 0 for all your systems and channels).
Go To Number Tag (Leading 0’s not required)
Press Channel to hold on any channel
Enter the Favorites number tag, .no, the System number tag, .no, then the Channel number tag and press Channel.
Press Channel to resume.
Examples:
to go to Channel 6 in System 5 in Favorites List 2.
to go to Channel 36 in System 10 in Favorites List 1.
to go to Channel 36 in System 10 in current Favorites List.
to go to Channel 36 in current System.
2. to go to Favorites List 2 (1st channel in 1st department in 1st system).
to go to System 5 in Favorites List 2 (1st channel in 1st department).

Getting used to using features like Number Tags & Quick Keys will help you immensely with the SDS line of scanners.

nunzii

Premium Subscriber
I like it - I found that site and need to review it more; there are many features I've not used yet that would probably help with what I'm misunderstanding now. Right now, I'm just scanning the entire database with service types filtered. I used my phone to get my exact location and entered that rather than using the zip code search, thinking that would also help filter things more closely to me instead of a broad zip code. It still takes a bit to cycle through everything; I will read up on the favorites lists and number tags. Appreciate it.

Is anyone from the Raleigh area up to sharing their favorite list from Sentinel so that I can import and get an idea of how others have setup?

nunzii

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the links from everyone, @OnYourSix - the hope is to end up with all of the toys for this hobby but right now I’m not even sure I know what your link for the G4 Pager does. I still have more to research :)

OnYourSix

NY --> NC
Premium Subscriber
No worries @nunzii !! The Unication line of pagers is similar to a handheld scanner, but it is limited in some aspects but expansive in other aspects. It can only monitor one trunked radio system at a time, so if you're only going to operate in Wake County, this will work great. The downside is that the G4 only covers 700/800 and costs as much as the SDS100. But it looks more like a pager and has better battery life.

You surely have A LOT of options for scanners, and everyone here has knowledge on everything that is out there. Plus, this website has a TON of information, and there is also a Uniden group which can answer most of your questions as well: Uniden Forums