SDS100 with GPS - how-to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

millalien

I'm wanting an SDS100 for a x-country trip and I can't figure out if I can connect the GPS module and external power at the same time. There appears to be two ports - one microUSB for charging and the other for programming. If the GPS uses the programming port as the input then I suppose that the AC or DC charger can power the unit via the charger port, but if the GSP module also connects to the charger port then how can the unit be externally powered? This seems like an obvious set-up question for mobile operation.

BobInABox

I got this cable, this GPS puck, whatever external antenna you like or if you even want one, updated the database with Sentinel and drove cross-country without any issues. The cable will provide power to the SDS100 and GPS. It's really that simple.

Now, you can get an internal GPS from jonwienke here on RR.

OSS

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The USB plug is designed to handle both power and data.

On the other hand, you can get one of Jon's internal GPS units installed in the 100. The outward appearance is not changed. It's a very sensitive receiver and works virtually anywhere in the vehicle. I have one in my 100 and it works flawlessly. One caveat: it will void the warranty.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
If you use the uniden GPS it will power your 100 the whole trip. I just took mine to Texas and back a couple weeks ago. Was interesting hearing the different dispatch styles and codes.

Then when you head out, choose the Entire Database to be scanned and let her fly. You can omit your favorites if you choose, or leave em in.

millalien

Thanks for the replies -- that all makes sense.

I caught a glimpse of the dust cap for the ports on YouTube and think I saw one was "charger" and the other "GPS". So, duh.

millalien

I got this cable, this GPS puck, whatever external antenna you like or if you even want one, updated the database with Sentinel and drove cross-country without any issues. The cable will provide power to the SDS100 and GPS. It's really that simple.

OSS
I did that - thanks for the Amazon links.

I'll likely do the internal GPS once the unit's burned in a bit - too soon to tinker in warranty.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Just got an email from Bearcats Warehouse, they say both sds200 and sds100 will be in stick tommorow (Thursday).

millalien

OSS
Works as advertised - picked up the SDS100 at HRO this afternoon, updated the DB via Sentinel in the the parking lot, plugged the puck into the cable, plugged the cable into the USB power source and the SDS100 and -- bingo, the scan channels updated geographically as I made my way home.

Uniden's "GPS kit" kind of threw me off-track too - it's a lot gear when all that's needed is a puck and the Uniden BC-UTGC GPS cable.

Thanks again to all for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.