SDS100 with Remtronix 800mhz antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApexMark

New owner here. I just popped the Diamond RH77CA off my radio and put on this new one from ScannerMaster. Wow! Unreal, the difference. I can't believe the difference in clarity, reception..crystal clear, loud. Like they're standing right next to me. I thought the Diamond was a nice step up from the stock antenna- I wasn't quite prepared for the difference this remarkable antenna would make. It just doesn't miss a beat at all. Anyway, new to scanning, just wanted to share my excitement (receiving in 700-800 with it). Now I can put the Diamond over onto my BC125AT for a dedicated air band radio. I have been a long time away from scanning, just getting back to it.

Thanks for reading,
Mark

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
I use both these antennas and they are hard to beat... The Diamond does exceptional on Vhf as the Remtronix does on 800 Mhz.... like you I use them on two different scanners dedicated for two different purposes so they work well for my needs. That little Remtronix teamed with an old GRE handheld scanner preamp will pick up an 800 mhz trunked system 90 miles away fairly solid most days better than the online feed that is in the same city.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
New owner here. I just popped the Diamond RH77CA off my radio and put on this new one from ScannerMaster. Wow! Unreal, the difference. I can't believe the difference in clarity, reception..crystal clear, loud. Like they're standing right next to me. I thought the Diamond was a nice step up from the stock antenna- I wasn't quite prepared for the difference this remarkable antenna would make. It just doesn't miss a beat at all. Anyway, new to scanning, just wanted to share my excitement (receiving in 700-800 with it). Now I can put the Diamond over onto my BC125AT for a dedicated air band radio. I have been a long time away from scanning, just getting back to it.

Thanks for reading,
Mark

Mark, you sound like you know what you're doing and both antennas are excellent choices for the scanners and purpose you're using them for!

Bill

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I agree with Bill there, both excellent choices for hand held scanner antennas. I have a spare feed line coming from my rooftop directional yagi via a Stridsberg multi-coupler for use on my hand held scanners at the desk and I rarely use it on my SDS100. It does just fine with the Remtronix 800mhz on my Ohio MARCS simulcast P25 system. I usually connect that extra feed to my BC125AT. That Remtronix all by itself is one fine antenna.

JD
kf4anc

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Agreed just put the remtronix on my SDS100 and what a difference, I'm pulling in counties that weren't able to come through on the stock antenna. Fantastic antenna for sure.
I don't know how I missed this thread back in September, interesting.

Just a little history on that antenna as I know it. That antenna was first made for or by GRE many many years ago, GRE who made scanners for Radio Shack at that time rebranded that antenna as the RS 800, BNC only then and sold in all RadioShack stores.

It quickly became obvious it was an excellent antenna not only for 800 megahertz but it was always my go-to antenna for UHF 2 (450-512). Unfortunately it's not very good on VHF High. Of course GRE went out of business and was bought by Whistler.

When RadioShack was closing its stores and having these crazy sales I remember buying the RS 800 by the fistfuls for $5 a piece thinking they were going to be gone forever.

Apparently the story that I've heard is a former GRE employee started the remtronix company selling the same exact antenna but now it's BNC, SMA and SMA 100, the waterproof version that will fit with the SDS 100.

I agree with everybody it is a great antenna and it's like night and day on 7 - 800 megahertz compared to the antenna that comes with the radio which I've never been impressed with.

CaseyC1

I use to have a bunch of the RadioShack bnc models years ago they were the best. These are identical just a different brand on them.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I was looking into one of the REM for the sds100. I may order one within a few days.. I have one of the old RS800 bnc version.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The REM-800 series are excellent antennas for 700 and 800 MHz. Use the REM-820S for the SDS100. That one has a rubber O-Ring to maintain waterproofing.

radio3353

The REM-800 series are excellent antennas for 700 and 800 MHz. Use the REM-820S for the SDS100. That one has a rubber O-Ring to maintain waterproofing.

Water-resistance, not water-proofing. Big difference.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I use both these antennas and they are hard to beat... The Diamond does exceptional on Vhf as the Remtronix does on 800 Mhz.... like you I use them on two different scanners dedicated for two different purposes so they work well for my needs. That little Remtronix teamed with an old GRE handheld scanner preamp will pick up an 800 mhz trunked system 90 miles away fairly solid most days better than the online feed that is in the same city.
Must be flat terrain - yup Missouri ;) Too many hills and other obstructions / RF interference around here to get that kind of range.

N9JIG

Sheriff
There also is a new Remtonix 800 MHz. antenna with a BNC and folding right-angle elbow (similar to the way the HomePatrol OEM antenna has). It is available from several dealers and works as well as the other Remtronix antennas.

While it was really intended for use on desktop radios I presume it works great on portables so that you can lay it on the desk and still have the antenna oriented up-down. I use it on my SDS100 and 436 along with the SMA-BNC adapter often.

palmerjrusa

I don't know how I missed this thread back in September, interesting.

Just a little history on that antenna as I know it. That antenna was first made for or by GRE many many years ago, GRE who made scanners for Radio Shack at that time rebranded that antenna as the RS 800, BNC only then and sold in all RadioShack stores.

It quickly became obvious it was an excellent antenna not only for 800 megahertz but it was always my go-to antenna for UHF 2 (450-512). Unfortunately it's not very good on VHF High. Of course GRE went out of business and was bought by Whistler.

When RadioShack was closing its stores and having these crazy sales I remember buying the RS 800 by the fistfuls for $5 a piece thinking they were going to be gone forever.

Apparently the story that I've heard is a former GRE employee started the remtronix company selling the same exact antenna but now it's BNC, SMA and SMA 100, the waterproof version that will fit with the SDS 100.

I agree with everybody it is a great antenna and it's like night and day on 7 - 800 megahertz compared to the antenna that comes with the radio which I've never been impressed with.

It's the antenna I use most of the time on my SDS100 for 800 MHz systems, I agree it's a great antenna.

N9JIG

Sheriff

There were a couple closeouts like this I took advantage of when RS was floundering. I grabbed about 8 or 10 of the "RS 800" antennas from a few of the area stores the week they were closed out, I went around to as many stores as I could to find them. I could have made a tidy profit by reselling them but gave them to a few friends who were not so lucky and kept a couple for myself.

Around the same time frame give or take a year RS closed out their version of the ST-2 scanner antenna, again for $5.00 each. I was able to find 3 of them and they went up into my attic. Later I bought another (real AntennaCraft branded) ST-2 from a friend and it joined its cousins. When I moved across the country I recovered these 4 antennas and they remain in my attic in my new house.

A few months later I got a call from a guy who knew me and worked for a RS store who told me that they found a half dozen of the RS version of the ST-2 in a warehouse and I could have them for the same $5.00 each. I said Thanks but no, I had no need for them. I have regretted that ever since, even moreso when I see the eBay prices they command these days.

After that I kept an eye out at various RS stores and dealers for either antenna. A few years ago when we were driving out to our new home with a car full of our clothes, computers and other stuff not to be trusted with the movers I came across a couple of the "RS 800" gathering dust on a shelf at a hardware store that had apparently been a RadioShack dealer back in the day out in rural Nebraska. I saw the old RS sign out front and stopped in for grins and giggles, the wife telling me not to buy anything.

I snatched those up for $9.95 each. He also had a few of the RS version of the AntennaCraft ST-3, basically a VHF quarterwave with UHF and 800 stubs sticking out, also for $9.95 each. The wife was not happy to see me coming out with a large bag full of stuff but the ST-3's are also in my attic along with the ST-2's. I still have the RS800's I got there but gave away a couple of my older ones.

The only one of the various versions of the Remtronix 800 MHz. antennas I never have had is the original SMA version. I have the SDS100 SMA version and that works fine on my BCD436HP. Before that I used the BNC version with an adapter, that worked just fine.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
There were a couple closeouts like this I took advantage of when RS was floundering. I grabbed about 8 or 10 of the "RS 800" antennas from a few of the area stores the week they were closed out, I went around to as many stores as I could to find them. I could have made a tidy profit by reselling them but gave them to a few friends who were not so lucky and kept a couple for myself.

Around the same time frame give or take a year RS closed out their version of the ST-2 scanner antenna, again for $5.00 each. I was able to find 3 of them and they went up into my attic. Later I bought another (real AntennaCraft branded) ST-2 from a friend and it joined its cousins. When I moved across the country I recovered these 4 antennas and they remain in my attic in my new house.

A few months later I got a call from a guy who knew me and worked for a RS store who told me that they found a half dozen of the RS version of the ST-2 in a warehouse and I could have them for the same $5.00 each. I said Thanks but no, I had no need for them. I have regretted that ever since, even moreso when I see the eBay prices they command these days.

After that I kept an eye out at various RS stores and dealers for either antenna. A few years ago when we were driving out to our new home with a car full of our clothes, computers and other stuff not to be trusted with the movers I came across a couple of the "RS 800" gathering dust on a shelf at a hardware store that had apparently been a RadioShack dealer back in the day out in rural Nebraska. I saw the old RS sign out front and stopped in for grins and giggles, the wife telling me not to buy anything.

I snatched those up for $9.95 each. He also had a few of the RS version of the AntennaCraft ST-3, basically a VHF quarterwave with UHF and 800 stubs sticking out, also for $9.95 each. The wife was not happy to see me coming out with a large bag full of stuff but the ST-3's are also in my attic along with the ST-2's. I still have the RS800's I got there but gave away a couple of my older ones.

The only one of the various versions of the Remtronix 800 MHz. antennas I never have had is the original SMA version. I have the SDS100 SMA version and that works fine on my BCD436HP. Before that I used the BNC version with an adapter, that worked just fine.
Hey, I resemble those remarks... Hahaha. Same here man, those little ground planes were a best antennas and I actually remember buying them for $5.95 at Radio Shack in the late 60s and they didn't have the little 800 megahertz Nubs on them. Excellent VHF High, UHF antenna with 15 in radials. The later model with the 700 - 800 megahertz Nubs is what I use as high as I can get them with lmr400. I learned after a while that a little Loctite kept them together in the storms hahaha. Same with that $40 discone RS sold. Loctite made all the difference.

I love nostalgia and those who could only revive it by personal experience. I never sold one of those RS 800s but I certainly gave away a number of them to friends leaving me with more than I need.

Personally, even though you don't really lose anything using the BNC adapter, you do extend the length of the antenna with very vulnerable metal and breakable pieces if you were to drop on cement.

I appreciated your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.