SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 with Reyax RY836AI GPS

KI5EDJ

WRDB542
Premium Subscriber
Now that I have a second SDS100 I plan to try adding internal GPS. The module I bought is a Reyax RY836AI. So far from what I'm seeing I need to wire the module's Vdd pad to a power source that comes on with the scanner, TXDCto pin 4 (ID) on the USB mini port, and ground to ground.
Has anyone tried this module and what am I missing here?

KI5EDJ

WRDB542
Premium Subscriber
I thought so too but I only found two on the forum search. Both spoke of an older internal GPS mod with the Reyax 835 unit and didn't mention how it was wired in. There are a couple of other internal GPS mods, but I have the 836 and I think it'll lock on pretty fast due to the internal (to the 836) battery backup.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I thought so too but I only found two on the forum search.

This will include results from other sites as well. sds100 internal gps mod - Google Search

Both spoke of an older internal GPS mod with the Reyax 835 unit and didn't mention how it was wired in.

They all have vcc, gnd, rx and tx. I seem to remember when I did my 436 only using vcc, gnd and either rx or tx. I did not do internal and run power off a pack that holds 3 1.5 AAA. I did not want to cut up my case, but something I am considering now.

You can look up the pinout on the modules these guys used to determine if its rx or tx thats used but they used a usb cable so not really internal.

On internal, I am not sure where anyone has connected the power.

1718462852646.png

When I did my 200 I used this and the onboard antenna was weak on reception even tho others used that module with great sucess. I must have had a dud. I returned it.

1718461919260.png

Then I got this

1718462031359.png

And while it works, I am going to be getting the first one I had and will be mounting it inside the 200 since I ran across an external magnetic antenna that I had forgotten about. I will also mount a small rocker switch on the back.

KI5EDJ

WRDB542
Premium Subscriber
On the 836, power goes to Vdd. Sadly the 836 is too big to fit the SDS 100 without cutting the case. I reassembled my scanner and putvtge 836 away for now. It may wind up being used with the SDS 200 I just got.