SDS100 your likes / dislikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Let me narrow things down for you guys. First thanks a ton for your help. I appreciate it. But I just want to focus on the programming of Systems - Sites - Departments and how they show up on the "detailed" screen.

I have figured out how to program each system and sites for the system. Pretty easy per the on screen instructions on the scanner. And I believe I am assigning a department correctly to the system and correctly assigning it a number. Example......Make believe system.

System 5 is programmed. And assigned obviously the number 5. I program the site(s) for the system correctly and also assign the sites to the number 5. On the screen the number 5 for system/site 5 flashes like it should. Everything is fine. I then program TG's into a department for that system and assign that department the number 1 because I am going to add more departments at a later date. However when the scanner is scanning that system (Number 5) the department number that is flashing is the number 5.....not the number 1 which I assigned to the department. That is what I want to figure out. I am confused.

I have only had the scanner a few weeks and have only used it about 10 or 12 times totaling about 6 hours. It will take me at least six months to become comfortable with it. I am willing to be patient.

So again thanks for your help. I promise some day, not sure when, I might try PC programming. Maybe.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
As long as you understand only putting in the frequencies to a simulcast system site and then the talk groups you want is not going to result in your scanner working as well as it could and to its fullest capability. This is not like programming a BCT 396. There are too many variables and necessary things that have to be done that are already built into Sentinel. You also must update the firmware each time a new update comes out. This is a totally different kind of scanner. Any performance shortcomings or if your radio does not work as well as radios in the past or as you expect understand that it's not the radios fault.

The least you could do is put in your ZIP code and pluck the local things you want to listen to off the database and put them on a favorites list, that will solve your department problem whatever that problem is but I have no doubt that this is confusing for you.

The various post trying to help you here and on your other thread have said it all. Don't lose that link for Sentinel!!!... LOL... and read that manual regarding putting in your ZIP code and taking what you want from the database even if the database is not updated. Good luck.

Last edited:

Thoraldus

So many things to like, just one dislike so far. Takes forever to charge the battery. With a 5.2VDC source capable of 2.5 amps this battery charges at 370 to 700ma - why not at least 1000ma?

brettbolt

2) Location based scanning
3) Receives DMR
4) Displays channel info during playback

Dislikes:
1) Excess static on analog
2) Volume varies a lot from channel to channel
3) User manual is too brief. Needs tutorials on how to setup various types of systems.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
I agree with brettbolt about everything. I have been playing with the SDS-100 and I am getting better with it. Just a little each time. That's all I can expect. I agree there is excess static or at least terrible reception on analog VHF. My biggest agreement is the tutorials on how to program systems is waaayyyyy too short. If programming the scanner is of utmost importance then the explanation of that process should be dealt with in greater detail.

I will add one more big complaint that I have that could be added to brettbolt's dislikes above. Turning off and on systems via the keypad has been made way too difficult. Again I am comparing the 396XT but if it works for one scanner why can't it work for the next. You are doing the same thing. There is no difference in the end result. Why do you now have to punch numerous numbers and symbols. I just don't get it. I will have to spend weeks trying to figure out that one simple process.

Have a good week ya'll.

On a good note.....I found out how to quickly "avoid" a system while the scanner is scanning. Two quick button punches. How great.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
The Simple Numbering System (SNS) is the way to go if all of the numbers and decimals are too much. Redo your Favorites Lists and group them together in a numbered Favorite List. Such as, you have 5 talk groups for local police, put them in a FL and assign the FAVORITE LIST ONLY a QK and put it in the name - (1) LOCAL PD...then add all of your Fire and EMS into another FL and assign it (2) Fire and EMS....and so on and so on. Assign your FLs ascending numbers and then just turn on and off your FLs like banks on an old school scanner. Yes, you will have more FLs than before, but they are all numbered and accessed with one Quick Key and you know how to get to them quickly and you will be so much more organized. Just a thought....

JD
kf4anc

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Turning off and on systems via the keypad has been made way too difficult. Again I am comparing the 396XT but if it works for one scanner why can't it work for the next. You are doing the same thing. There is no difference in the end result. Why do you now have to punch numerous numbers and symbols. I just don't get it. I will have to spend weeks trying to figure out that one simple process.

I can turn on/off my favorites in my SDS or x36HPs with one keystroke less than the x96XT series.
I no longer need to push the decimal (. or period) key to select which favorite I want to turn on or off.

Perhaps your favorites are not setup with System quick keys which makes turning a favorite list on or off work just like the x96XT models minus the decimal key.
Just a suggestion as this should be pretty simple.

rcool101

Feed Provider
I agree with brettbolt about everything. I have been playing with the SDS-100 and I am getting better with it. Just a little each time. That's all I can expect. I agree there is excess static or at least terrible reception on analog VHF. My biggest agreement is the tutorials on how to program systems is waaayyyyy too short. If programming the scanner is of utmost importance then the explanation of that process should be dealt with in greater detail.

I will add one more big complaint that I have that could be added to brettbolt's dislikes above. Turning off and on systems via the keypad has been made way too difficult. Again I am comparing the 396XT but if it works for one scanner why can't it work for the next. You are doing the same thing. There is no difference in the end result. Why do you now have to punch numerous numbers and symbols. I just don't get it. I will have to spend weeks trying to figure out that one simple process.

Have a good week ya'll.

On a good note.....I found out how to quickly "avoid" a system while the scanner is scanning. Two quick button punches. How great.
Make a Fav list. Put one system in it. Give a Fav Quick Key like 1...Make another Fav list. Put another system in it. Give it a Fav Quick Key like 2...etc No other quick keys needed. No system keys or dept keys...While scanning press 1 and E. Or 2 and E. Just like the 396. I do this for my 536 and 436 and SDS100. Not the correct way but I keep it simple

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help. I guess I am having a hard time "reading" the terrible directions in the manual. Also this favorite lists thing seems to be used by most people much differently that what I am guessing it is intended for. I better stop there cause I may anger some folks. Thanks again for your suggestions.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Love the screen and performance of the radio - and I don't mind the fat battery - but it is still prone to toppling over.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Dislikes:
1) Excess static on analog
2) Volume varies a lot from channel to channel

Yup, spot on, the two most annoying things for sure. The white noise I get on UHF is just obnoxious, unless the signal is full scale, and even then it's present. I pretty much don't scan my lone remaining "important" UHF system (AZ DPS) with the SDS scanners unless I'm out with just the SDS100. In a car the harsh tone and white noise aren't as much of a problem but in a quiet room, especially at night, it's no bueno.

lovescanner

i have only had the sds100 for about a month

i live in union county nj sound is great i can pick up so much evn the town and area where i use to live in middlesex county ny

the only think i dont like it gets to hot in the back

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
There is no question that a lot of the issues that are brought up regarding reception of UHF VHF analog can be remedied through proper usage.

I can imagine if someone is not experienced with the x36 since they came out in 2014 the SDS can be intimidating. Learning the proper usage of the filters, IFX and system hold time and methodically fine tuning every system and object you scan on favorites list should solve some of the problems I'm hearing here. It's not necessarily easy but it's worth the trouble of using them properly.

I wish the radios had turboscan as the slow scan rate does cause a lot of missed responses especially on analog channels. Of course the answer is to have numerous scanners all scanning different things. I do.

The SDS does pick up P2 simulcast as well as my Motorola but it also picks up VHF and UHF better than the x36s but I can't pick them all up at the same time because of the slow scan rate there are too many missed Transmissions because it doesn't circle around fast enough on favorites list. I understand due to the nature of the chips being used that cannot be changed.

Just don't want to pull the trigger on another expensive SDS radio or I would get the sds200, I would love that but... I'm reading on the hum thread that even fixed units with the hum mitigation installed are now starting to hum again intermittently and the video I saw the other night was really bad and that was one of the mitigated units that was from the ham station that did not hum when it was received by the user.

Eventually I will get the sds200 down the line when this irregularity is finally completely fixed. I wish I was lucky enough like some of you guys to have one that the problem was never an issue but I don't think I'm that lucky. LOL.

The bottom line here is that users have to take the time to really understand the radio and take advantage of all the features like the filters that will optimize performance and reception. It's not easy for some but well worth learning.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
The bottom line here is that users have to take the time to really understand the radio and take advantage of all the features like the filters that will optimize performance and reception. It's not easy for some but well worth learning.

Well said and very true. Once you learn this scanner (SDS200) and get it dialed in to your personal specs - it is King Tut. Best scanner I've ever owned, hands down.

JD
kf4anc

seesharp15

Premium Subscriber
2. Information displayed on the detail screens / customizability
3. Scan while charging
4. Buttons
5. Beefy / doesn't feel cheap / Just feels super nice and good quality.
6. Screen size & crispness

Dislikes:
1. My 436hp is outperforming it in every scenario I've compared them in.
2. Analog reception is horrendous
3. By comparison, scanning is slower, even with filters adjusted, etc,... in side-by-side comparisons (in controlled setting) I'm missing many calls compared to 436

Maybe it's just the systems/traffic in my area... or maybe I don't understand all the new settings... but this radio just isn't performing well compared to the 436hp. The p25 reception is only slightly better for one or two systems I scan, but certainly not enough to justify the 2x cost of the 436hp. I've given it a seriously good attempt and really wanted to like this radio, but I'm probably going to end up returning it. Maybe UPMan will post an update in the next few days that makes this thing perform at least as good as the 436hp, at least then I can have some justifiable reason to keep it... Short of that happening it just doesn't make any sense to keep it / doesn't seem ready for primetime.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
There is no question that a lot of the issues that are brought up regarding reception of UHF VHF analog can be remedied through proper usage.

I can imagine if someone is not experienced with the x36 since they came out in 2014 the SDS can be intimidating. Learning the proper usage of the filters, IFX and system hold time and methodically fine tuning every system and object you scan on favorites list should solve some of the problems I'm hearing here. It's not necessarily easy but it's worth the trouble of using them properly.

I wish the radios had turboscan as the slow scan rate does cause a lot of missed responses especially on analog channels. Of course the answer is to have numerous scanners all scanning different things. I do.

The SDS does pick up P2 simulcast as well as my Motorola but it also picks up VHF and UHF better than the x36s but I can't pick them all up at the same time because of the slow scan rate there are too many missed Transmissions because it doesn't circle around fast enough on favorites list. I understand due to the nature of the chips being used that cannot be changed.

Just don't want to pull the trigger on another expensive SDS radio or I would get the sds200, I would love that but... I'm reading on the hum thread that even fixed units with the hum mitigation installed are now starting to hum again intermittently and the video I saw the other night was really bad and that was one of the mitigated units that was from the ham station that did not hum when it was received by the user.

Eventually I will get the sds200 down the line when this irregularity is finally completely fixed. I wish I was lucky enough like some of you guys to have one that the problem was never an issue but I don't think I'm that lucky. LOL.

Well said and very true. Once you learn this scanner (SDS200) and get it dialed in to your personal specs - it is King Tut. Best scanner I've ever owned, hands down.

JD
kf4anc

Very good points and like any product, it might not be for everyone. I can say the same thing about the x36hp series and even back to the 396/996 series all which I currently own. As I've mentioned, "marginal" signals are hit or miss and what I mean is 1-2 signal bars that my 436/536 receive that isn't decoding on the SDS series. There has been commentary made that unless you have P25 simulcast issues and your current scanner isn't receiving what you need, then purchase the SDS series. If none of those issues apply, maybe hold off. For me, the SDS series of scanners was needed for simulcast systems.

brettbolt

1. My 436hp is outperforming it in every scenario I've compared them in....
My SDS100 also has poor analog performance. Also, after a few weeks the battery stopped taking a charge. So I had to wait about a month for a replacement battery. I should have bought a 436HP since I don't care about simulcast. I didn't do enough research before buying.
... I've given it a seriously good attempt and really wanted to like this radio, but I'm probably going to end up returning it.
I would have returned mine, but Ham Radio Outlet has a 15% restocking fee. I'm hoping that new firmware comes out to resolve some of the issues.
.. Short of that happening it just doesn't make any sense to keep it / doesn't seem ready for primetime.
I see it happen much too often. Tech products are rushed into production by managers who turn a deaf ear to the engineers who are saying its not ready. "Buy it now, we'll try to fix it later."

Last edited:

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Well, I will chime in here with a good quality report. Just bought my 2nd SDS200 and it was perfecto mundo right out of the box. No hum, no dim keypad lights, good vhf/uhf reception (fire page in Darke county 30 mi approx. loud and clear vhf) that makes two in a row with no complaints. Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts.

JD
kf4anc

Status
Not open for further replies.