SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Zip Code locations not scanning statewide trunk systems?

dispatchgeek

Control channel goes "brrrrr"
Between the cornfields and the pastures, Michigan.
I've discovered an issue with my SDS100 recently regarding Full Database scanning by zip code. My SDS100 is my travel scanner, and I've previously used it without issue when going on business trips or vacation by using the zip code functionality.

I had a SD card corruption and rebuilt the card/DB from sentinel.

The last few trips after the SD card rebuild I've noticed that it will not scan the MPSCS or Starcom 21 from the full database.

1. All service types are on.
2. Range is 10 miles, in one instance I was less than 2 miles from an MPSCS site. Manually scanning this site from a favorites list worked as expected.
3. Nothing in set in avoid on the full DB.

Any ideas? I'm at a loss. I'd rather not do a factory reset, but I assume I am heading that direction.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Don't do a reset, try 1 MI, try 5 MI.. try 0 MI.. go all the way to 50 the max.. keep at it and tell us where in Michigan you are and what systems you want to pick up.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Okay original poster I see the systems now, should be working.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
It happens. We were probably composing our replies at the same time like we always tend to do
Yep, I have the same problem, if I was to use the ZIP code method. Sometimes Bucks County P2 can't be found and sometimes njics can't be found but I'll put something goofy in like 30 miles even though Bordentown site is across the river from me and I live between two sub sites of Bucks County P2.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
OP.. looks like you're in good hands with Randy. Another thought, when you put a zip code in it's putting in an approximate longitude and latitude, sometimes zip codes can have a very wide coverage area depending on where you live.

If your location is turned on your phone you can always Google your exact longitude and latitude and enter that instead of the ZIP code.

dispatchgeek

Control channel goes "brrrrr"
Between the cornfields and the pastures, Michigan.
Let's see if I can be efficient here

Don't do a reset, try 1 MI, try 5 MI.. try 0 MI.. go all the way to 50 the max.. keep at it and tell us where in Michigan you are and what systems you want to pick up.
Let's use 49017 as our test bed. From my location in 49017, I regularly monitor the MPSCS Plainwell, Kalmazoo Simulcast and Battle Creek East sites with no trouble. (Also, with the Starcom 21 example, I wasn't clear. I threw a zipcode I was familiar with in Illinois (61350,) and the SDS100 didn't appear to look for the Starcom 21 system when I set that location either. I didn't actually expect to hear that in Battle Creek, MI)

Since you had to rebuild the SD card, double check that location control is on for that system
How do I check location control settings for a full database system? I can see location control settings on my favorites lists in Sentinel without trouble, but I didn't think I could edit that on the full DB? I don't use location control on my favorites lists, but those are working as expected. This includes my MPSCS favorites list.

OP.. looks like you're in good hands with Randy. Another thought, when you put a zip code in it's putting in an approximate longitude and latitude, sometimes zip codes can have a very wide coverage area depending on where you live.

If your location is turned on your phone you can always Google your exact longitude and latitude and enter that instead of the ZIP code.
No such luck there either.

I can see that I've avoided some nationwide systems in the DB on sentinel, but MPSCS has no avoids set on it. I might try a fresh DB upload when I get home to see if it straightens up and flies right.

Per the DB info menu, DB is 04/07/24. Not sure if I just found a hiccup from that week or what.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yeah as I've said I have had similar problems when using zip code search but I don't use it, I have favorites list set up and quick Keys Etc but I would go to site options of each one of the systems to set location, you'll have a choice of longitude, latitude and range. Go to site options of the site or sites that you would use for those systems, there will be a longitude and latitude there but that's from your ZIP code, I would replace it with your exact longitude and latitude and then set a range.

Hopefully somebody will chime in with some help.

I would keep fiddling with it and try wacky distances like 15 miles or 25 MI or no miles at all and keep trying, that's what I do and eventually it will show several large systems including one Statewide system that doesn't always come up on the ZIP code search.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
The more I think of it, I'm starting to remember as I don't do any of this stuff on my radio but, the longitude and latitude and range that you set in site options, to a specific site might be irrelevant to anything other than GPS.

Location on option should be off if you are using favorites list, if I remember correctly and I'm just winging this as I'm doing errands, you only have location on option if you're using the GPS, not sure how it affects database searching but I do know if you don't have favorites list set up you can't apply filters too database zip code searching, might be the same way with longitude and latitude.

The option of circles or rectangles also has been Irrelevant in my tinkering over the years, I just leave it on circles. Sorry I can't be more exact but I'm doing this from very vague memory and can't research anything right now.😉

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
@dispatchgeek, I just been able to read your post carefully and it sounds like you have a handle on what I'm trying to say regarding location off. Setting location in site options is irrelevant as your location is set to off. Don't think that affects database just GPS which I don't do. I'm on the fly but let's see who chimes in later.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I've discovered an issue with my SDS100 recently regarding Full Database scanning by zip code. My SDS100 is my travel scanner, and I've previously used it without issue when going on business trips or vacation by using the zip code functionality.

I had a SD card corruption and rebuilt the card/DB from sentinel.

The last few trips after the SD card rebuild I've noticed that it will not scan the MPSCS or Starcom 21 from the full database.

1. All service types are on.
2. Range is 10 miles, in one instance I was less than 2 miles from an MPSCS site. Manually scanning this site from a favorites list worked as expected.
3. Nothing in set in avoid on the full DB.

Any ideas? I'm at a loss. I'd rather not do a factory reset, but I assume I am heading that direction.
Yes it does presuming you are loading the FULL database, have the correct service types and are within a statewide site"s range. zip code location does require use of location control, in particular, range.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to guess that your location was wrong. Not sure where in the process it got wiped or changed.

phask

Premium Subscriber
This persisted with multiple locations in multiple states. I am confident that my location was correct as I was able to scan the expected conventional radio channels for each location.
Well you never mentioned that conventional worked. I'm at a loss, probably just a DB glitch.