SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapa2

Premium Subscriber
Looking to purchase a new one of these...will the Sentinel program I have for my home patrol 2 work with this unit? Also, is the Oregon State Radio Project "simulcast"? I was also looking at BC436 as they seem to be more available and significantly less $$$.

Hopw all is well and thank you in advance for any info.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Looking to purchase a new one of these...will the Sentinel program I have for my home patrol 2 work with this unit? Also, is the Oregon State Radio Project "simulcast"? I was also looking at BC436 as they seem to be more available and significantly less $$$.

You will need the BCDx36HP version of Sentinel (latest version is 2.02.01) for BCD436HP, BCD536HP, SDS100, and SDS200:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

Looking at the state system in the database, some of the sites are Simulcast. For example:

Whether simulcast will, or will not, affect your reception is very location specific. If you are in the "wrong" spot of a simulcast site, you might receive little, or nothing at all on a scanner such as the 436HP, or any other Phase II capable scanner except the SDS100 (SDS200 is it's base/mobile version). The problem can be so location affected that, at times, moving the scanner a few feet in one direction or another can improve, or worsen, reception.

Your previous posts indicate you may be in Linn County. There are three sites listed for Linn, none flagged as simulcast.
Of the counties around you, only Deschutes shows as having a simulcast site, but there are seven other sites listed for the county that are not tagged as simulcast. It would be helpful if someone in your immediate area could comment on what does, or does not, work for them. But if the database information is correct, then for your home county (presuming that remains as Linn) the 436HP should work. If, however, you often traveled to one of the other simulcast areas, such as Portland, the SDS100 would be the better choice.

More on Simulcast:
Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

mapa2

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Steve..based on that, I believe I will wait for re inventory for the SDS100, and will use that for my travels, and use the HP2 for my home unit. I have 3 other analog units that are becoming more obsolete as we go forward.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Steve..based on that, I believe I will wait for re inventory for the SDS100, and will use that for my travels, and use the HP2 for my home unit. I have 3 other analog units that are becoming more obsolete as we go forward.
That's a smart move. If the HP2 is working for you at home, keep it there. It won't handle simulcast and the SDS100 will and I almost guarantee you'll find simulcast in your travels. Too bad the 100 is not as easy to read as the HP2.

mapa2

Premium Subscriber
Steve...will I need to download a separate Sentinel program for the SDS100 or will the current one I have for my HP2 work? Thanks again for your advice and research.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Steve...will I need to download a separate Sentinel program for the SDS100 or will the current one I have for my HP2 work? Thanks again for your advice and research.
Re-read post #2.

Sentinel for the Home Patrol won't work for the SDS100. Click on the link in that post to download the version of Sentinel you will need.

Last edited:

mc48

Premium Subscriber
You can copy favorite lists from the Home patrol Sentinel and transfer them to the X36HP software if you like.

mapa2

Premium Subscriber
fxdscon:
thank you sir...I totally overlooked that one...looks like it will be a while before I can get an SDS100 due to inventory issues
mc48:
is it a simple copy and paste?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
is it a simple copy and paste?

Export the Home Patrol favorites file....

from the Home Patrol Sentinel tool bar, File --> Export to HPE file

Import that file to the SDS100....

from the x36HP Sentinel, File --> Import from HPE file

mc48

Premium Subscriber
I believe you can also copy and paste the files in the Uniden folders but the method listed by fxdscon is the way to do it in Sentinel.

Status
Not open for further replies.