SDS100/SDS200: SDS100E Broken?

Bram4042

Dear all,
I have an SDS100E, from one day to the next the radio no longer turns on, when I put it on the charger the red LED comes on but it does not turn on, no welcome text or light nothing. I can't find anything anywhere on the internet what this problem could be. I am therefore asking for your help.

best regards

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Dear all,
I have an SDS100E, from one day to the next the radio no longer turns on, when I put it on the charger the red LED comes on but it does not turn on, no welcome text or light nothing. I can't find anything anywhere on the internet what this problem could be. I am therefore asking for your help.

best regards
What voltage does the battery show on the display? (You can customize the display so that you can see both the current battery voltage (which would give you a visual clue as to state of charge), as well as the ‘input’ voltage showing you whether or not your charger source is working properly.

I suspect that for whatever reason, you might not be getting enough voltage to the scanner to operate, much less fully charge your battery and operate the scanner. If you have another cord, and charging device, try them. Remember that you can use a USB micro cable to power (though not charge) the scanner using the upper (USB micro) port above the USB mini used for programming and normal charging.

When you connect the scanner to your PC, do you get the prompt to select mass storage or serial mode? If you do not, even with your PC turned on & running, then I’d suspect a defective cable. Good quality cables are abundantly available. It never hurts to have a spare.

Normally, I’d also suggest formatting the scanner’s memory card, since card problems cause unpredictable failure modes. But, if connecting the scanner does not generate the “choose mode” prompt, you would be unable to format the card ( and use the ‘clear user data’ option in Sentinel) unless you pull the card and use a card reader.

Bram4042

What voltage does the battery show on the display? (You can customize the display so that you can see both the current battery voltage (which would give you a visual clue as to state of charge), as well as the ‘input’ voltage showing you whether or not your charger source is working properly.
I have no display it wont turn on

I suspect that for whatever reason, you might not be getting enough voltage to the scanner to operate, much less fully charge your battery and operate the scanner.i have used a different battery,nothing

Remember that you can use a USB micro cable to power (though not charge)i have tried that with the batt in it and with no batt in it ,still nothing

When you connect the scanner to your PC, do you get the prompt to select mass storage or serial mode? no the scanner is not turning on.
What i think is that the flat ribbon cable from the mainboard to the keypad is broke,
because on usb1 nothing is happening the scanner will not go on (its only power i now that)
and on usb2,its charging the red light is coming on and when the batt is full its going to green.so he,s is charging.
then what is the problem

Last edited:

Ubbe

What i think is that the flat ribbon cable from the mainboard to the keypad is broke,
because on usb1 nothing is happening the scanner will not go on (its only power i now that)
and on usb2,its charging the red light is coming on and when the batt is full its going to green.so he,s is charging.
then what is the problem
The charging function are a separate hardware circuit that runs independent of the CPU logic. The USB connector then seems fine but the logic board seems dead or the keypad doesn't work to power it on. Most probable they keypad are at fault.

Windows only reports that it has found a mass storage device if the scanner are powered on and you answer the question on the display about serial or mass storage mode.

Sometimes a non working SD card can make the scanner seem dead as I believe it is the first thing the scanner does when it tries to power on, as the service mode software has to be loaded from a special SD card.

/Ubbe

tvengr

Well Known Member
Sometimes a non working SD card can make the scanner seem dead as I believe it is the first thing the scanner does when it tries to power on, as the service mode software has to be loaded from a special SD card.
I looked at a friend's BCD536HP which was totally dead. No display, no backlight, no nothing. It was a bad SD card. The SD card is the weakest link in the chain and should always be eliminated first.

ciscovk

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have previous version of firmware for Uniden SDS100E_V1_22_00.bin and SDS100E-SUB_V1_02_00.firm, can you send me please PM?

Because, latest firmware SDS100E_V1_23_07.bin has some issues...

Bram4042

Does anyone have previous version of firmware for Uniden SDS100E_V1_22_00.bin and SDS100E-SUB_V1_02_00.firm, can you send me please PM?

Because, latest firmware SDS100E_V1_23_07.bin has some issues...
What issues has it? because i want to back also

ciscovk

Premium Subscriber
What issues has it? because i want to back also
on my side, reception/sensitivity on scanner got worse, on previous firmware everything perfectly worked. I have found SDS100E_V1_22_00.bin version, if you need