SDS100E: Firmware updates to V1_07_02 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioNemo

I don't know what the issue really is or if a division is responsible. For example, it seems to me that Uniden US is responsible for the software side of the business, so perhaps it is Uniden US being unwilling and don't care, i have no idea. I know Uniden AU are responsible for support for upgrades, and their customer service is terrible too. I've emailed them, rang them twice, and used their online contact form, but i have never received any reply or confirmation of anything so, not much point emailing them again.

woodpecker

I see no point in buying the E version, the hardware is identical they just re-badge it and CE mark it, updates may never happen or take years, there is no support if you need to send it in, you have to rely on the dealer to sort things out which rarely happens.

You can't load the US firmware, they code the model in the encrypted firmware to stop it being loaded.

The SDS models were released to deal with P25 simulcast issues at the expense of most other modes from the reports around, I'm not sure there is any P25 simulcast in Europe, certainly none in the UK so the SDS100E a pointless product here, better to stick with 436HP and its superior analogue performance.

Ubbe

What's the reason for buying eu and aussie versions? The warranty aspect if something would break during the first year? They open up the blocked 800-900Mhz frequencies and close database usage but are anyone using the blocked frequencies for 2-way radio in eu or au? It's not like they make the bandplan more suitable so that reverse and repeater lists are changed to match each country.

I would like to see Uniden USA make the different settings for a bandplan fully programmable and then have Avery distribute the US model. If someone wants those blocked frequencies it could be done with a special flag set in the fixed internal memory that only let the user load the correct firmware, the same way AOR do it, and Uniden only needs to make the code look for the non-US flag and skip the check and use the same firmware for all versions.

/Ubbe

dfw1193

Most likely the checksum error will occur, I would think there would be something internal to the EEprom where the firmware is written and stored inside the unit that would prevent wrong unit firmware from being read and written to the EEprom for use.

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if the SDS100 only loads the firmware from the sdcard and doesn't save to an internal rom? I wonder what might happen if you copied an SDS100 firmware to the SDS100E sdcard.

I think the most likely issue is going to be US band restrictions and perhaps licensing restrictions. As far as software development time, expense and technical issues, i can't think of any good reason Uniden don't make firmwares available for both regions simultaneously. Unless there is some considerable hardware issues i am unaware of. It would probably take a dev a few hours to make their build system spit out two binaries with different band configs. I expect Uniden US is completely capable of doing this, but perhaps is restricted by a license agreement or something.... In any case, its pretty bad customer service.

Pretty sure the firmware is stored internally. You put the firmware file on the card, and if the scanner detects it's a newer firmware, it installs it. But after that, you can delete the firmware file. I'm pretty confident the SDS100E wouldn't recognize / install the 100 firmware.

slylingus

What's the reason for buying eu and aussie versions?
For those in the know there is no reason...
The only Australian version I have ever purchased here were UBCD996T I never made the mistake again,
After having the Us version BCD996T that out preformed the Aussie model in decode simply due to better firmware updateds
So a us firmware does make a huge difference.
Watch what happens with the USDS100 Australian version selling for almost $1000 AUD here the firmware update support will be almost nonexistent. With none to date.
They do however offer PROVOICE, DMR, NXDN which was great to see thank you.
The time has come for Uniden to take a global approach to Firmware Updates on these scanners.
For whatever reason the left hand of Uniden will not support the Right Hand.
Come on Uniden you use the same name.
Why dont scanner enthusiasts matter as much out side the US, Simple We have Uniden NOMAN
This has been going on too long IMO.

Last edited:

woodpecker

The only reason to buy the E version is that under European law a product of that value would be expected to work for at least 6 years, if the product failed in that period it is the responsibility of the RETAILER to repair or replace it. No retailers like this law though and most will try and wriggle out of it but the threat of a court summons normally sorts it out, Apple have replaced iphones for me under this law although they still try and argue it.

Air490

What's the reason for buying eu and aussie versions? The warranty aspect if something would break during the first year? They open up the blocked 800-900Mhz frequencies and close database usage but are anyone using the blocked frequencies for 2-way radio in eu or au? It's not like they make the bandplan more suitable so that reverse and repeater lists are changed to match each country.

I would like to see Uniden USA make the different settings for a bandplan fully programmable and then have Avery distribute the US model. If someone wants those blocked frequencies it could be done with a special flag set in the fixed internal memory that only let the user load the correct firmware, the same way AOR do it, and Uniden only needs to make the code look for the non-US flag and skip the check and use the same firmware for all versions.

/Ubbe

Yes there is a section of the US blocked 800MHz band that is used in Australia, which is why AUS and EU are of interest for chromes here

ciscovk

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if the SDS100 only loads the firmware from the sdcard and doesn't save to an internal rom? I wonder what might happen if you copied an SDS100 firmware to the SDS100E sdcard.

I think the most likely issue is going to be US band restrictions and perhaps licensing restrictions. As far as software development time, expense and technical issues, i can't think of any good reason Uniden don't make firmwares available for both regions simultaneously. Unless there is some considerable hardware issues i am unaware of. It would probably take a dev a few hours to make their build system spit out two binaries with different band configs. I expect Uniden US is completely capable of doing this, but perhaps is restricted by a license agreement or something.... In any case, its pretty bad customer service.
Im tried to reneme SDS-100_V1_07_02.BIN to SDS100E_V1_07_02.BIN and SDS100E-SUB_V1_02_00.firm, but after rebooting the scanner, firmware error and the scanner comes back to the old firmware, BUT with the uploaded file SDS-100-SUB_V1_02_00.firm, and after that it does not listen to analog signals=)

so, At the moment I don't know yet how to update the scanner to the latest firmware.

Last edited:

RadioNemo

I emailed one of the addresses on one of the previously linked contact pages for European support, apparently my email got bounced around a bit. In any case, I received a reply from Piet at Avera.eu where I purchased my SDS100E a few months ago. I should have probably tried emailing them first, they were very helpful when I ordered, but it didn't occur to me they would handle requests like this. Piet gave me permission to share the following

“There will be a SDS100E firmware upgrade, expected to be public in less than 2 months”.

Status
Not open for further replies.