SDS200/100 Does rhis sound right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightOwl326

In sentinel to activate priority channels I have activate P-CH "ON" in channel list for each priority channel and also under system name turned on "Priority ID Scan" for that one system the channels are in?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
That is correct for setting priority scanning in a trunked system. In a trunked system, however, there is no preemption of on going non priority transmissions to check for traffic on a priority channel. It is a little weird, but that's how it is.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
If you HOLD on a talkgroup, a the scanner will switch off held talkgroup to receive traffic from a priority talkgroup though.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
As long as the "held" talkgroup is inactive and the scanner is monitoring the control channel.

On Whistler scanners, if memory serves me, when you HOLD on a talkgroup, your PRI talkgroup function becomes disabled.

Paul

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
There's one other step as well..
You also need to enable it in the radio. Either by using the radio menu or editing the profile in Sentinel..
1601349172628.png

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
u2brent, that is for CONVENTIONAL priority, not trunking priority. Unfortunately, you cannot toggle trunking PRI on and off without going to each individual system and switching it in the menu.

Paul

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
I don't wish to be argumentative but...
In addition to the steps the op says they have already performed in the first post.. That setting I mentioned must be enabled or it (priority) just won't be working.
I believe that setting must be turned on for conventional or trunking priority to work at all. Otherwise the scanner will not recognize (aka ignore) the Priority settings for every active/enabled subordinate FL Systems setting or TG's or Channels in a Conventional Department. It will just scan normally unless that is turned on to at least one of the two choices DND or Priority. Off is Off. In other words priority is off (aka disabled) regardless of FL selections (systems types) and options..

Last edited:

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Disregard my incorrect posts above. After some experimenting, @Anderegg You appear to be 100% correct on the use of that setting. I just wish there was a little note in the directions indicating this more clearly.. :coffee:

Ubbe

It's even highlighted in the manual. Page 11 in the SDS200 manual:

"To use Priority Scan, you must first set your Priority Channels.
To use Priority ID Scan, you must also enable Priority ID Scan for each system.
To toggle Priority Modes, press PUSH/FUNC then .NO/PRI.
Priority is always on for a trunked system, if enabled in the system."

/Ubbe

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Ubbe, if I set a conventional channel as a priority, then do the FUNC+PRI (on), how would that work when scanning mixed trunked and conventional?

Paul

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
FUNC+PRI affects only conventional priority - nothing for trunking priority (Priority ID Scanning).

FUNC+PRI will cycle thru (Priority mode ON, Priority mode DND, Priority mode OFF).

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Ubbe, if I set a conventional channel as a priority, then do the FUNC+PRI (on), how would that work when scanning mixed trunked and conventional?

Paul
My experience has been:
If you have conventional Priority enabled, and the scanner is currently scanning one or more trunked systems, but has not stopped on a talkgroup, the scanner will check the convention priorities for activity. I have seen this behavior a number of times, where the scanner is running through one or more trunked system, but then jumps over to one of my conventional channels set as Priority. I know that it jumped from scanning trunked over to the conventional P-Ch, because when the conventional priority releases, the scanner is back in the middle of one of the trunked systems. I have most of my priority channels at the top of the Favorites list, then it gets into the multiple trunked systems in use here in DFW. So, if the scanner picks up where it left off, it's back to scanning trunked systems.

NightOwl326

Do you ever wonder who the heck wrote such a complex platform? Its not for the faint of heart.
I wonder how many people just return them as its so complex and did not need to be that way. For me it's a challenge but for some it will be just a big surrender.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I concur with Steve - my Uniden scanners will preempt a trunked conversation to check for activity on priority conventional "stuff" (if Priority is On versus DND). However, the reverse does not happen, preempt a conventional transmission to check a trunked system. I'm pretty sure Upman confirmed this action some time ago.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I concur with Steve - my Uniden scanners will preempt a trunked conversation to check for activity on priority conventional "stuff" (if Priority is On versus DND). However, the reverse does not happen, preempt a conventional transmission to check a trunked system. I'm pretty sure Upman confirmed this action some time ago.
I believe you are completely correct. Since Trunking Priority is only enabled if set for each individual system, the scanner would not actually "know" about a trunked priority talkgroup except when scanning that individual system.

Status
Not open for further replies.