SDS200 and GPs

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
We're on a driving trip down south and I have the SDS200 installed in the truck. My original plan was to just scan until I was out of my local area and then use the SDS100 when we were at hotels. I programmed information for the stops we had planned and loaded that into the 100.

On the way down, it became really boring not having anything to listen to on the scanner. I had music playing, but generally run a scanner, ham radio, and music simultaneously.

So, I decided to order the Uniden GPS and have it shipped to one of our stops. Imagine my surprise when I found out that the older version was discontinued and sold out. It was replaced with a kit that can be used on any Uniden scanner using one of the many adapters included. I knew I should have bought the older version a few months ago when they were half the price and available. Oh well.

Anyway, I plugged the GPS in, turned on location and the full database and away we went. It really works well. I set the range to 0.0 miles based on a recommendation by UPMan (of blessed memory) a few years back when I drove to Louisville and used my 536HP with an ancient Magellan GPS. I also turned off all of the nationwide systems except the Interop one. I have no interest in listening to CB, the Red Cross, Business, or any of the other systems.

I won't use GPS when I'm in an area where I have Favorite Lists and Systems set up, but for traveling, it's a pretty cool set up.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The old GPS kit won't work with the SDS200. It's RS232, and the SDS200 requires 3V TTL.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I thought that there was a kit for just the SDS200 and one of the Beartrackers that had just the GPS and RJ11 cable?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
That's the penalty I pay for not doing my research in advance. Ironically I'm in Salem Virginia right now and could have stopped and picked one up on the way down if I had only looked in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.