SDS200: SDS200 and ham radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumby

Premium Subscriber
I am seriously considering the purchase of a SDS200. I operate a 2 meter APRS digipeater running 50 watts, I am concerned with RF overload, desense, on a SDS200. My scanner antenna is lower and about 20 feet away from the 2 meter transmit antenna. My other Uniden scanners (bcd996xt, bcd536hp, bc15x) do not have a problem with front end oveload, with my 2 meter ham station. My concern is the SDS200 is an SDR radio and may not work well in this environment. I have read that SDR radios can be ruined by strong signals in close proximity. Anyone have experience with SDS200 and a ham radio station?

djeplett

I run an APRS fill-in digi at my QTH and the antenna is a Diamond X50NA mounted about 3 feet over and 3 feet above my Radio Shack "Sputnik" that feeds a multicoupler for my scanners. I have a Kenwood TK280H for the APRS transceiver that puts out about 50W. It will desense all my scanners when it transmits, especially if it's on VHF-Hi band. But I live with it because it transmits very seldom and for short bursts. A full digi might transmit more so I could see it getting way too obtrusive. I plan on changing my antenna setup soon and the Diamond will get moved over another 4 feet away and possibly a bit lower. We'll see if that improves the desense but I suspect it might get worse due to the antennas being closer to the same plane. There will be a metal mast and possibly some roof edge in between so I've got my fingers crossed it could be better. The SDS200 doesn't seem to be any worse or better compared to my other scanners in my current setup.

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
My APRS rig and SDS200 are sitting next to each other, but my scanner only has the factory antenna. No issues with mine. My APRS rig is running only 10 watts with a five element log periodic antenna (inside my one of my upstairs bedrooms) pointed to the nearest iGate :)

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Premium Subscriber
I have an SDS200 in the same shack with an Icom IC-910H (100 watt VHF/75 watt UHF), an APX6500 7/800 with a mag mount about 10 feet away, an APX8500 with an all band antenna on a ground plane kit around 20 feet away directly above it on the house. The SDS doesn't seem to care. Even when I'm transmitting on 800, it stays locked on a local system and doesn't suffer any desense at all. I don't do any VHF monitoring with the SDS as there isn't anything on VHF I monitor with it, so don't know how it performs. But even when I'm on the Icom at 100 watts (granted, it's being fed via LMR400 into a Diamond X300 on the opposite end of the house), it doesn't get bothered at all. Kind of surprised actually.

bumby

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the responses, your reports give a bit more peace of mind as I move forward with the purchase of the SDS200. Appreciate the details of antennas, rigs, power and distance provided in your responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.