SDS200 Audio quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

daredevil1

Is there any way to improve P25 audio quality? I just bought a SDS200 and after having a Unication for 2 years, the voice on the Unication has a lot more clarity. It sounds muffled on the SDS.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Is there any way to improve P25 audio quality? I just bought a SDS200 and after having a Unication for 2 years, the voice on the Unication has a lot more clarity. It sounds muffled on the SDS.

That's not typical. Have you tried changing the filter settings to see if things improve? You don't have the scanner sitting on it's own speaker do you?

daredevil1

That's not typical. Have you tried changing the filter settings to see if things improve? You don't have the scanner sitting on it's own speaker do you?

No, it's elevated. I even lifted it up and put it near my ear just to make sure. Sounds the same when playing it back through my computer speakers as well.

blackbelter

My experience with SDS 200 is the same. The audio comes through a BOSE companion 5 speakers (I keep the SDS volume on 8 and just a knob up on the BOSE) and it noticeably more muffed than my G5. I, have my 436 connected through a powerful Klien shoulder mic which is amazing. I just wish that I could connect my G5 to the Klien.

Last edited:

Mercator

I have the same "muffled audio" problem. The deep base and\or muffled audio is only on the local departments which are digital/P25. The same department transmission's which are conventional have clear, crisp audio. If the sheriff switches between channel 1 (conv) and channel 2 (digital) during an incident the audio aberration travels with the channel. The State Patrol is on WISCOM and usually, but not always, I have very good audio if the transmission originates from a squad. The replies from the disp\counsel can be very muffled and are much louder. The State Patrol is the only agency that uses WISCOM in Northern WI. The only other P25 WISCOM transmissions are "roll calls" and they are clear. The LdF radio system is now completely digital and has very deep base audio but clear. WISCOM use state towers the other agencies use local towers.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
My experience with SDS 200 is the same. The audio comes through a BOSE companion 5 speakers (I keep the SDS volume on 8 and just a knob up on the BOSE) and it noticeably more muffed than my G5. I, have my 436 connected through a powerful Klien shoulder mic which is amazing. I just wish that I could connect my G5 to the Klien.

BOSE speakers are the last thing I'd use on a scanner. The frequency is tailored for high fidelity music not voice frequencies. Use an inexpensive communications speaker and you won't believe the improvement.

Astatic 4" External Speaker

Peerlessk

I would start with a speaker 90dB or better . Sensitivity of 90dB or more the sds200 is very loud . Quality would Be the better the speaker make + sensitivity

blackbelter

Although SDS 200 audio from my Bose speakers sounds muffed a bit, it is still rich and powerful .

gn32772

Premium Subscriber
Although SDS 200 audio from my Bose speakers sounds muffed a bit, it is still rich and powerful .
I have an SDS200 and a TRX-2, and the TRX sounds clearer to me, with better highs in the audio. I am listening to both with earbuds. I've been thinking of getting one of these to increase the high frequency response on the 200. PRAS Equalizer only

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

Rich, powerful AND expensive! $500.00 on Ebay, for a scanner speaker??? :ROFLMAO:

My $14.00 Astatic 4", 8-ohm external speaker from Scanner Master is super loud and crystal clear on my SDS200! (y)

Last edited:

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
My SDS 200 sounds fine. There's massive differences depending on what radio the end user is actually using. If it's a system radio that my network is managing and programming, they sound awesome. If it's another brand radio and net setup properly, they can sound awful.

bberns22

With the Harris P25 System here it is all a crap shoot. Across TG, or same TG (across units) a lot of variability in level and quality. Goes for SDS100 - SDS200 - Unication G5. I don't know if Harris engineers like to drink on the job or it's simply a function of these radios not being native to the Harris system...

I find the SDS200 with an external communication speaker marginally better than the G5 on the amplified charger using the same external communications speaker.

Philadelphia P25 Phase 1 system (Motorola I believe) generally has better intelligibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.