SDS200 Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAUC1632

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have a recommendation for a speaker I can plug into the headphone jack on my SDS 200 scanner. My internal and external speakers both have an annoying internal scanner noise during transmission. I don't get the same noise when I use headphones. I'm looking for a speaker that will provide sound from the headphone jack.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I tried an old big Jambox I have, (direct wired) - BAD data noise from both the front and rear jacks.
I have a ground loop isolator that didn't work (these normally work quite well).
The speaker has a dead batt, so it's powered by AC. Maybe it's the PS for the speaker causing the noise, but I'm inclined to say that the 200 is noisy...

Last edited:

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
The fix that StaticDischarge found is really the way to go...
I use an external speaker from the speaker jack on the rear of the scanner and it is totally sillent after I did the fix...

If you don't feel confidant in doing it yourself, I would find somebody that could do it for you...
Well worth the effort...

KAUC1632

Premium Subscriber
It's several threads about the internal noise in some SDS200 scanners. The front panel needs to have additional grounding being done to it. Or use that headphone jack that hasn't got that noise. SDS200 - My SDS200 HUM fix

/Ubbe
So far my problem using the headphone jack with a speaker is that the volume drops off by a huge factor. What kind of speaker set up works well through a headphone jack hook up?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have a recommendation for a speaker I can plug into the headphone jack on my SDS 200 scanner. My internal and external speakers both have an annoying internal scanner noise during transmission. I don't get the same noise when I use headphones. I'm looking for a speaker that will provide sound from the headphone jack.

Consider using a Bluetooth transmitter plugged into the headphone jack to send the audio out to an amplified Bluetooth speaker. Most external speakers will be a lower impeadance than what the earphone jack was intended to be used with and it won't work well.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I use the Uniden BC23A (amplified) speaker on the rear EXT SP jack. I had to learn to turn the volume down as now it is sometimes too loud. (Note: I installed the ground wire to get rid of the noise)

So far my problem using the headphone jack with a speaker is that the volume drops off by a huge factor. What kind of speaker set up works well through a headphone jack hook up?
Powered speakers will blow your doors in. See post #2

Ubbe

What kind of speaker set up works well through a headphone jack hook up?
Amplified speakers like the $20 stereo ones for computers, or those special Uniden ones that are bit more expensive so try the cheap one first. You probably already have one set for your computer that you could try.

/Ubbe

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
As posted above it is a grounding issue with the front panel of the SDS200 and the STATICDISCHARGE fix is going to be your only real fix. This fix can be done by most here in 20 minutes and is a permanent fix adding external speakers will not fix this problem.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
As posted above it is a grounding issue with the front panel of the SDS200 and the STATICDISCHARGE fix is going to be your only real fix. This fix can be done by most here in 20 minutes and is a permanent fix adding external speakers will not fix this problem.
And what is worse is he wants to use the Headphone Jack, not the EXT SP jack.

msrettinger

Consider using a Bluetooth transmitter plugged into the headphone jack to send the audio out to an amplified Bluetooth speaker. Most external speakers will be a lower impeadance than what the earphone jack was intended to be used with and it won't work well.
That's what I did. Bought a Bluetooth transmitter and a Bluetooth speaker. I can take the speaker downstairs, out in the garage, out on the deck. Works great.

KAUC1632

Premium Subscriber
And what is worse is he wants to use the Headphone Jack, not the EXT SP jack.
Well gol dang forum readers. The reason "he" (me) wants to use the headphone jack as i will reiterate is that there is NO annoying modem sounding "noise" that comes through the headphone jack while it does from the built in scanner speaker and any speaker plugged into the rear external speaker jack. Deeper into this forum there was a post that explained what the noise was and because of the circuitry of the scanner it was quite apparent that audio from the internal speakers was going to be different than at the headphone jack.

KAUC1632

Premium Subscriber
Further information as to what I am experiencing with my SDS 200 can be found if you do a search in RRef for subject SDS-200 SPEAKER NOISE AGAIN LIKE THE 536 HHP. There is a nice long string about this phenomenon.
You will see the video posted initially by allend. You'll likely need to use your headphones on your tablet or turn up your volume on your PC but that is exactly the sound I hear from my scanner speaker and any speaker plugged into the external jack. And as explained in the detailed explanation of the scanner design why the noise is only heard from the speakers and not the headphone jack.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Well gol dang forum readers. The reason "he" (me) wants to use the headphone jack as i will reiterate is that there is NO annoying modem sounding "noise" that comes through the headphone jack while it does from the built in scanner speaker and any speaker plugged into the rear external speaker jack. Deeper into this forum there was a post that explained what the noise was and because of the circuitry of the scanner it was quite apparent that audio from the internal speakers was going to be different than at the headphone jack.
And DUH if you added the grounding wire fix the audio from the EXT SP jack would be clear and the "noise" would be gone. My 2 SDS 200s are first off the line so I have been there done that with the noise issue. Mine had noise with EXT SP before I did the ground wire fix too.

Status
Not open for further replies.