SDS200 background noise finally resolved by UNIDEN?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
While I'm not aware of any written policy on this, that is in line with some conversations I've had with the repair department. As long as the user didn't break it, it's covered. (think golden screwdriver)
When Paul made the video on YouTube instructing owners to disassemble the radio and install the mitigation device I think that was pretty much carte blanche on opening the radio and modifying it.

As far as the hum or vacillating wine, I have purchased and maintained many of these radios before I retired. The last one I bought was after reproduction started again post virus. I was amazed there was no hum what so ever and I didn't even take it apart to look and see why.

Beware everybody, the hum started after about 3 months. I took it apart and it still had the mitigation device that even though was not requested to be removed by the Uniden product manager, any knowledgeable engineer would know if the problem of the grounding was fixed, money would be saved by not wasting time or cost of inserting a mitigation device.

It's not a backup for correcting the grounding problem properly. The problem would have been resolved correctly.

The radio that I purchased last that did not have the hum, started humming after 3 months, it it did have the mitigation device. Probably oxidation or misalignment from movement.

By the way of all of the sds200s I purchased and programmed for my Corporation. Every single one of them had the hum. If you don't have the hum on a new radio give it some time and see what happens before making a conclusion.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
When Paul made the video on YouTube instructing owners to disassemble the radio and install the mitigation device I think that was pretty much carte blanche on opening the radio and modifying it.

As far as the hum or vacillating wine, I have purchased and maintained many of these radios before I retired. The last one I bought was after reproduction started again post virus. I was amazed there was no hum what so ever and I didn't even take it apart to look and see why.

Beware everybody, the hum started after about 3 months. I took it apart and it still had the mitigation device that even though was not requested to be removed by the Uniden product manager, any knowledgeable engineer would know if the problem of the grounding was fixed, money would be saved by not wasting time or cost of inserting a mitigation device.

It's not a backup for correcting the grounding problem properly. The problem would have been resolved correctly.

The radio that I purchased last that did not have the hum, started humming after 3 months, it it did have the mitigation device. Probably oxidation or misalignment from movement.

By the way of all of the sds200s I purchased and programmed for my Corporation. Every single one of them had the hum. If you don't have the hum on a new radio give it some time and see what happens before making a conclusion.
Opening it, yes. Modifying it, not necessarily. In the context of adding the 'clip', I would agree.

Companies are funny about things this way: if I did not tell them to remove the mitigation device (and I did not, as I figured it would not harm anything) they would not make that production change unless some bean counters became involved. My focus was on fixing the issue, and not pinching pennies.

That said, were any you purchased after the requested change was made or were they all before that? The production change I requested should have eliminated the issue - period. I have yet to hear about any units so changed where hum returned (that was not caused by external factors like a bad power supply or a ground loop).

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
When production restarted after being closed down for the virus, is when I purchased my last radio. It was machine 1089 produced in 2020 of course in Vietnam.

I was very pleased there was absolutely no hum whatsoever. I figured statistically I had received one that didn't have the hum as some people reported. It was always a roll of the dice which I think annoyed people the most.

It took about 3 months before that old familiar annoying sound came around, could be oxidation, a shifting of the clip, some have even suggested climate, humidity could cause differences in the intensity.

I eventually did the SD repair, removed the clip and no longer have the issue.

I thought there were some members who reported having the issue in recent times but I don't remember specifically so..

Many people, if they do experience the problem are going to just fix it. I'd be curious if your repair department received equipment that had the hum and performed the service exactly the way StaticDischarge dictated it. That would be interesting to know.

I understand that there's no one at Uniden, in production, products or repair who can describe exactly how the repair was done at the factory.

That would leave it up to the user base, if somebody wants to take a recent unit and is familiar with the issue and what to look for could take a peek and confirm how exactly the repair was done, that would be great. Pictures would be an added bonus.🙂

Last edited:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
In possession of 4 here. 1st was a 2018 version (purchased Feb 2019), minor, almost unnoticeable hum if the room is totally quiet, which is a rarity. 2nd was a 2019 version, no hum. 3rd and 4th 2021 versions, no hum. All manufactured in Vietnam, purchased from different vendors at different times.

Installed the mitigation part on the 2018 version, made slight difference. I won't be opening anything up on others, leave well enough alone if working.

If any issues arise with the 2018 version and has to be sent to Uniden repair, I'll request the "hum reduction modification" be performed while there. No hurry to have it done since it's not a nuisance to me.

What I would like to see is a firmware update to address P25 Phase 2 long term issues since the x36hp series of scanners. But...that's for another thread.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep agreed on firmware updates but...............

I use the sds-200 by my bedside and leave it on all night soooo.. SD repair took care of that annoyance.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
trentbob and others.

Can you please supply a link to the post thatshows exactly how to perform the "SD" hum repair/fix?

Thanks !

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
trentbob and others.

Can you please supply a link to the post thatshows exactly how to perform the "SD" hum repair/fix?

Thanks !