SDS200 Channel Hold ... need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyman82

TampaScan
Hi,

When using the channel hold on the SDS200 it still scans in the background for other channels and automatically switches to other channels even though the one i'm trying to hold stay on is busy. So far, this is the most frustrating thing I've had to deal with.

How can I turn this feature off??? I don't want it to scan other channels while I have a channel hold going.

"I am aware of the following in the manual:
HOLDING A SYSTEM, DEPARTMENT, SITE, OR CHANNEL \
While scanning, you can hold on a system, department, site, or channel by pressing its associated soft key.
System Hold:
Soft Key 1 Department Hold:
Soft Key 2
Site Hold:
F+Soft Key 2 Channel Hold, Soft Key 3

Note: If you hold on a channel that is in a trunked system, all enabled sites are still scanned for that channel activity. "

I would very much like it to NOT scan for other channels in trunked systems.

Thanks,

Andy

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Look in the manual or on the radio at the priority setting. It sounds like you may have priority turned on and there are a few different types of priority. I'm not sure this is the issue but it kind of sounds like it could be...

Brian (COMMSCAN)
KI5FLE

Ubbe

Note: If you hold on a channel that is in a trunked system, all enabled sites are still scanned for that channel activity. "
I would very much like it to NOT scan for other channels in trunked systems.
When holding a channel in trunked sytstems it is a TG that are held and all sites could be scanned to catch any traffic from that particular TG.

If it is a conventional channel it is the frequency that are on hold and only time it goes to other frequencies are if you have prioriry enabled, either the frequencies you programed to have priority or the weather channels.

Do Fn+.No to toogle between different modes of the priority. Stop scan and do Fn+6 to toggle the Weather priority.

/Ubbe

andyman82

TampaScan
Sounds like since I have a channel listed as priority it will automatically switch to that channel in a trunkgroup even though priority scanning is turned off... interesting. Time to remove all priority tags and see what happens!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You could have Priority Scan Mode set to Off in your Profile, but that applies only to conventional system priority scanning. For trunked systems, that is called Priority ID Scanning.

You might check your trunked system's settings and confirm that Priority ID Scan is Off. That's easier than locating all channels marked as P-Ch and setting that to Off. Setting Priority ID Scan to Off means "Do not do priority scanning for this trunked system".

"Priority" is a challenging thing to understand and can drive someone bonkers.

andyman82

TampaScan
Thanks everyone, turned off all priority including Priority ID Scan and left it on a channel that routinely gets interrupted. Went a good 10 minutes with no interruptions :)

Should help a ton for continuity in the recordings!!

Ubbe

Should help a ton for continuity in the recordings!!
What happens with recordings when they are interupted with priority? Will it create a new recording if a priority interupts an ongoing recording or are all audio recorded in the same file and you have no clue what the prio interuption where in frequency or TG?

/Ubbe

andyman82

TampaScan
What happens with recordings when they are interupted with priority? Will it create a new recording if a priority interupts an ongoing recording or are all audio recorded in the same file and you have no clue what the prio interuption where in frequency or TG?

/Ubbe

Since it can only record on channel at a time, a new recording is started everytime a new transmission starts, which is another feature I don't particularly like. I'd much prefer a continuous recording when it's on a channel, even if it's not receiving a transmission, and not recording when it's scanning. Which wouldn't have been possible anyways with it jumping around trunk groups on a channel hold.

I had proscan set to record one super-file for each channel but that was a nightmare to re-listen to. Now I have that set to record a new file for each transmission same way the SDS200 does, but proscan overly compresses the clips and has them at clipping levels all the time. The SDS200 has awesome recordings HOWEVER when I delete the clips after transferring them to the computer, it still thinks the clips are there and the card needs to be reformatted. Pain in the ass but the recordings do sound 10x better.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
On the ProScan recordings compression issue. Perhaps try a higher MP3 Bitrate or change the format to WAV.
On the clipping issues. If using the Ethernet connection, try unchecking the 15 dB audio gain or perhaps a Win Mixer enhancement on the playback side is set. If using a sound card then perhaps turn down the Win Mixer input level and check that no enhancements are on, on the Recording side.

Status
Not open for further replies.