SDS200 connection to ProScan via LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure it is in the history but I need help and can't find exactly what I need. I've done some research and I think I've got everything mixed up so I'm reaching out for HELP!!!! I don't consider myself a newbie but I'm far from an networking engineer! On to my question:

What I want to be able to do is connect my SDS200 (actually 2) to a windows device in my truck. I think it is possible. So my first try was to connect it in the comfort of my office. I have ProScan up and running. Connected the SDS200 to my wireless router via a wired port on the router (maybe a problem???). I can't get the scanner display to display within ProScan. I tried checking some things in ProScan but still no luck. I think I'm back to square one as I would check and uncheck and don't think I left anything changed. What sounds easy to some is not happening for me.

What I need is first to be told if it is possible and then secondly...how to I accomplish this. Again...connection for dummies guide. Appreciate any and all help anyone can provide!! I was waiting on remote head development for the SDS200 however I'm getting anxious as right now I have no scanners in my new truck. And mounting the SDS200's up front isn't an option.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I'm not a network guru. Perhaps someone could chime in on that. I would search for "how to turn your computer into a router"
Also I think you need a crossover Ethernet cable since no router is involved.

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
some ports might be blocked. if you look on the program it tells you which udp ports should be open.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I forget exactly where it is, but there are some settings in Proscan you need to tweak.

If I recall correctly off the top of my head:
1. Make sure that SDS200 is selected under Scanner Type
2. Under Comm Port, hit the Auto Detect button. That should give you the IP address to set.
3. Also go to Audio Control and hit the URL setup button, and do the Auto Detect IP scanners thing.

I'd recommend using a small router in the vehicle so that it assigns IP addresses, although I'd strongly recommend setting the scanners to fixed IP addresses for consistency.

Since you're setting up the truck as a LAN to itself and presumably won't have internet access through that wired router, you're getting into some slightly more arcane networking stuff; you'll have to designate your router as the DNS for the truck LAN, and make sure it's set up with DHCP turned on so it serves IP addresses. If the router you're using in the truck gets internet service via wireless, then it becomes a bit easier and more like plug and play at home.

I'd also strongly recommend setting everything up at home using the two scanners, router and Windows device you intend to use in the truck. Get it working in the house first, then you can think about hauling it out and installing in the truck.

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
OK guys....back into it now. I got my two SDS's to display properly on my home wireless network. Connected the SDS's via LAN cables to the wired ports on my wireless router. Started Proscan twice on my computer and chose each one separately on each instance of ProScan. Now to replicate this into a mobile environment. So here is what I'm thinking:

1. Install a wireless router into my vehicle. Router will have to have at least two ethernet ports for wired devices where I will connect the two SDS's. Will have to run off of 12 VDC via a convertor most likely.

2. It shouldn't matter that I don't have an internet connection because I disconnect the cable going to cable modem and nothing happens as far as connection to SDS's.

3. Tablet will be connected wireless to "network" created with wireless router in vehicle and I'll be able to control/display scanners from tablet via Proscan.

Am I missing anything?

freqseeker

1. Install a wireless router into my vehicle. Router will have to have at least two ethernet ports for wired devices where I will connect the two SDS's. Will have to run off of 12 VDC via a convertor most likely.

I like your idea. I just checked my old Linksys wrt54g router and it runs on 12 volt. I keep this as a backup for the modern routers that fail a lot. With aftermarket firmware or even the factory firmware I think this would work well. They were made for years.
Just checked ebay and there are a ton of them. some under $20 buy it now.
They are 10/100 but that shouldn't be an issue. They have four ethernet ports. Not sure if 13.8+ volts would cause an issue, the manual states 12 volt 1 amp.
The older version 1.1 were the best processor wise.
I'm sure there are others, but I have experience with these.

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
I like your idea. I just checked my old Linksys wrt54g router and it runs on 12 volt. I keep this as a backup for the modern routers that fail a lot. With aftermarket firmware or even the factory firmware I think this would work well. They were made for years.
Just checked ebay and there are a ton of them. some under $20 buy it now.
They are 10/100 but that shouldn't be an issue. They have four ethernet ports. Not sure if 13.8+ volts would cause an issue, the manual states 12 volt 1 amp.
The older version 1.1 were the best processor wise.
I'm sure there are others, but I have experience with these.

Funny you bring that up as I've got the same router (Linksys wrt54g v 1.1) sitting on my desk to use! When I get some time this week my intention is to set up a "test" environment on my desk to ensure that this will work. Assuming that everything goes as planned - then the install.

Any suggestions on a tablet for use in the vehicle? I was looking at possibly a Toughbook CF19 but haven't measured the footprint to see if it will fit. I like the idea of a tougher unit. But if anyone has another idea for a tablet please let me know.

Thank you!!

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
Just thought I'd give everyone a short update on my project. I'm still hoping for a remote head being able to be purchased for the SDS200. See the thread in the Uniden Tavern forum. But I wanted something sooner so here is what I've got. Far from perfect but at least I've got scanner noise to listen to.

I purchased a 2020 Chevy Silverado this spring. Within a couple of weeks of owning I drilled a hole for a NMO mount. Somewhat scary but made the step son do the drilling - someone to yell at if it went wrong!! He did a perfect job. Had instructions that mmckenna had posted which really helped the process. Put the two SDS200's under the rear seat. Put a Stridsberg multicoupler in for two antenna connections. Installed a Linksys wrt54g wireless router I had as it runs on 12 volt power. Put a wireless 12 volt on/off switch that controls the main power to everything.

For my display I needed a wireless Windows based tablet or PC. Tried a Toughbook however that didn't work out. So I did some searching and was able to get a HP Stream 7 and installed Proscan on it. Put a Proclip mount on the center counsel with a ram mount for the tablet. Powered it all up and it works!!!! Loss the storage under the rear seat to the electronics but scanners took priority! Also put Proscan in the startup directory so the software boots up when I start up the tablet. That is nice.

Here are my issues: I'm not complaining but unfortunately I'm unable to resize the scanner display from Proscan on the tablet. Certainly not complaining - just a limitation that I live with. So the display isn't the largest but it works. Another downside is not really something you want to be trying to turn down volume or press buttons on the tablet display. I do have a wireless mouse that I connect and that makes it fairly easy to work the controls....but certainly something you don't want to mess with while driving. So that is certainly a limitation but again....not a deal breaker. On the remote head that was being worked on it showed arrow buttons rather than a dial to work the volume and squelch. That would work better for use in a vehicle.

I do find that if I'm taking a short drive I just power it up but don't get the tablet out. Unable to see anything or control the scanners - but again I've got the noise and have been into scanners for 40 years now so I've kind of got the sound of the radio systems & dispatchers in the area my head so I can figure out who is talking. That is another plus......nothing is showing when I put the tablet away except for the Ram ball mount.

Sorry for the long post but just thought I'd update what I did and how it works. Again....I'm not the expert and if someone has any ideas toss them out there. Thanks for your time!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.