SDS200...Decisions, Decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lands818

Making Noise on the Radio From HF to 800MHz
Premium Subscriber
So, I’m ready to take the plunge on a SDS200 to supplement my BCD996P2 for home/base use and here’s what I’m faced with. I am aware of the variables unit to unit with the keypad backlight and hum.

Option 1: A used SDS200 that was bought new in March of this year and the owner is selling as he likes his TRX2 better (taking that at face value, seems legit). Based on his purchase price when he bought it new it seems the scanner should have some of the paid upgrades. Haven’t met up yet to assess keypad, hum, or check upgrades. I’m assuming no warranty transfers from original owner. Can buy for $450.

Option 2: A new SDS200 from a reputable dealer that ~should~ have decent enough movement to be a recent production unit. Of course the keypad and hum would be a roll of the dice based on “that” particular scanner pulled off the shelf. I’d have warranty coverage if needed. I can buy the new unit for $620.

So, here’s the dilemma: Savings on the used scanner are very tempting, especially if some upgrades are included as I have systems I’d monitor on the paid upgrades. I’ll have to drive a little distance to assess keypad & hum. Has anyone actually had to use warranty service on the SDS200? Looks like the keypad isn’t being addressed and hum is DIY if not shipped from the factory with the clip. Of course the new SDS200 would have the security of the warranty, but no upgrades and is still a crapshoot on keypad & hum.

Any input is welcomed, ultimately my decision but I’d like to hear thoughts from the crowd.

ab5r

I bought my SDS200 this May and am absolutely HAPPY with it. I live in a simulcast area, but experience NO problem. I have NO hum or display problems.

These maladies reported seem to have been spotty and hopefully fixed now with NEW scanners. As you know, there ain't no guarantees on ANY electronic device purchased! STUFF HAPPENS. Purchasing a used radio is always a gamble unless you can verify the seller or the device itself.

You WOULD have recourse if buying a new one and resulted in problems, but maybe not with a used purchase.

Good luck.
Jerry AB5R

Hit_Factor

I think out of warranty repair is a flate rate, check the uniden site for details. This makes the lack of warranty quantifiable.

Warranty claims are the exception, rather than the norm. So I wouldn't plan on being the exception.

Uniden has a history of handling problems outside of standard warranty period, so I think your exposure is really low as far as warranty is concerned.

Bob1955

So, I’m ready to take the plunge on a SDS200 to supplement my BCD996P2 for home/base use and here’s what I’m faced with. I am aware of the variables unit to unit with the keypad backlight and hum.

Option 1: A used SDS200 that was bought new in March of this year and the owner is selling as he likes his TRX2 better (taking that at face value, seems legit). Based on his purchase price when he bought it new it seems the scanner should have some of the paid upgrades. Haven’t met up yet to assess keypad, hum, or check upgrades. I’m assuming no warranty transfers from original owner. Can buy for $450.

Option 2: A new SDS200 from a reputable dealer that ~should~ have decent enough movement to be a recent production unit. Of course the keypad and hum would be a roll of the dice based on “that” particular scanner pulled off the shelf. I’d have warranty coverage if needed. I can buy the new unit for $620.

So, here’s the dilemma: Savings on the used scanner are very tempting, especially if some upgrades are included as I have systems I’d monitor on the paid upgrades. I’ll have to drive a little distance to assess keypad & hum. Has anyone actually had to use warranty service on the SDS200? Looks like the keypad isn’t being addressed and hum is DIY if not shipped from the factory with the clip. Of course the new SDS200 would have the security of the warranty, but no upgrades and is still a crapshoot on keypad & hum.

Any input is welcomed, ultimately my decision but I’d like to hear thoughts from the crowd.
Do NOT BUY THAT BEARCAT SDS-200, stay with the Bearcat BCD-996P2 as it work great and has been in their line-up since 2015. The other mentioned scanner has been nothing but problems such as poor VHF/UHF analog sensitivity. It is only needed for SIMILCASTING.
Have a great Labor Day weekend.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Advice doesn't need to be shouted. I think the OP is an intelligent enough hobbyist/consumer to know that the opinions around here can be somewhat militant at times, if not overbearing. Just the facts, man. I have bought three (3) Uniden SDS200s, two for me and one as a gift, and all of them are issue-free, as is the norm. You will find others on here that will give you the same testimony. You will find others here that will give you conflicting testimonies. Take it all with a grain of salt and buy the new SDS200 so that there will be no question about warranty coverage and buy from a dealer with a reputable return policy. The Uniden SDS200 is one fine scanner. Just one of many opinions you have asked for. Have fun with it!

JD
kf4anc

nacsr

Premium Subscriber
I just bought a SDS200 and I love it. Volume is great, simulcast outstanding, and no analog issues. I'm a long time scannerist and this one while pricey is a big step up.

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
[
Do NOT BUY THAT BEARCAT SDS-200, stay with the Bearcat BCD-996P2 as it work great and has been in their line-up since 2015. The other mentioned scanner has been nothing but problems such as poor VHF/UHF analog sensitivity. It is only needed for SIMILCASTING.
That definitely is not true. While the 996P2 is good, the SDS200 is even better! If you don't have either unit don't trash it! Your call.

allend

Premium Subscriber

Yup pretty much spot on. For UHF and VHF I use my BCD996P2. I have four of these radios. For Digital Trunking and for distance and for sensitivity I use my SDS-200. But my go to all the time the BCD996P2 radios.

lands818

Premium Subscriber
I truly appreciate the responses from everyone! One item I should have disclosed is that my interest in the SDS200 is to monitor multiple simulcast systems (all P25 Ph1 @ this time). My BCD996P2 has been an excellent scanner and I use it when truly 'monitoring' in my shack vs having a RS PRO-197 that churns along 24/7 since I picked it up for peanuts when RS was closing. Neither of these scanners (nor my assortment of handhelds) will reliably pick up simulcast for anything though at my location despite various tips and tricks.

Gonna think it over the next few days, see what additional input I get, but leaning towards just rolling with the new unit @ this time.

seth21w

I'm gonna say if you can get a sds200 used in any working condition it's worth 450 that is a better deal than a new for 620! I have sds200 with dmr and I have 761 dollars in it with dmr that I added myself.

allend

Premium Subscriber
I truly appreciate the responses from everyone! One item I should have disclosed is that my interest in the SDS200 is to monitor multiple simulcast systems (all P25 Ph1 @ this time). My BCD996P2 has been an excellent scanner and I use it when truly 'monitoring' in my shack vs having a RS PRO-197 that churns along 24/7 since I picked it up for peanuts when RS was closing. Neither of these scanners (nor my assortment of handhelds) will reliably pick up simulcast for anything though at my location despite various tips and tricks.

Gonna think it over the next few days, see what additional input I get, but leaning towards just rolling with the new unit @ this time.

Sound like the mind is made up and no sense on adding anymore input to this thread.

lands818

Premium Subscriber
Sound like the mind is made up and no sense on adding anymore input to this thread.
Nope, you must have missed the point of my closing statement after I thanked those who have provided insight. I’m thinking it over & gathering useful info from a great group on here. I didn’t post that comment and instantly order a new SDS200. :ROFLMAO:

Additional real world input is still welcomed. Thanks again to those who have (or are going to) provide insight.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
If you can afford it, buy the new SDS200. Here's why. You'll make the payment once, but you'll be living with this scanner for many years. It won't take long before the sting of paying the extra $170 wears off. But if you wind up with a less than perfect unit, you'll have plenty of years to suffer buyer's remorse.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
First of all you've got it right, the sds200 would be supplementing your 996 p2... as far as taking a risk on the sds200 the dice that are used that you will roll are the same whether it's a new radio or used.

I use both the 200s + 996 p2... if you are in an area where your 996 is challenged by simulcast distortion secondary to LSM the sds200 will indeed solve your problems, other than the volume punch it keeps right up with our Motorola gear.

Don't know what you listen to but if you do listen to UHF and VHF repeaters and Simplex or marine, railroad or aviation you have your 996 to do the job to supplement any shortcomings you may or may not find. The two radios together are a good pair.

You answered your own question... Decisions, decisions... that's a lonely spot to be in but it is... Your decision.

Good luck on the direction you go in, I hope it all works out great, I think it should.

lands818

Premium Subscriber
If you can afford it, buy the new SDS200. Here's why. You'll make the payment once, but you'll be living with this scanner for many years. It won't take long before the sting of paying the extra $170 wears off. But if you wind up with a less than perfect unit, you'll have plenty of years to suffer buyer's remorse.
bob550-that’s exactly what has me leaning towards new. Cost isn’t per se an issue and we all like to stretch $ where we can, though life has taught many of us that a lower price isn’t always a savings.

My wildcard right now is if/which upgrades (DMR, NXDN, etc.) the used one has as they would all be of benefit to me where I live and could impact the pricing game favorably even if a service fee to Uniden comes into play. Waiting on the answer about any mode upgrades...time will tell & thanks for your response.

lands818

Premium Subscriber
First of all you've got it right, the sds200 would be supplementing your 996 p2... as far as taking a risk on the sds200 the dice that are used that you will roll are the same whether it's a new radio or used.

I use both the 200s + 996 p2... if you are in an area where your 996 is challenged by simulcast distortion secondary to LSM the sds200 will indeed solve your problems, other than the volume punch it keeps right up with our Motorola gear.

Don't know what you listen to but if you do listen to UHF and VHF repeaters and Simplex or marine, railroad or aviation you have your 996 to do the job to supplement any shortcomings you may or may not find. The two radios together are a good pair.

You answered your own question... Decisions, decisions... that's a lonely spot to be in but it is... Your decision.

Good luck on the direction you go in, I hope it all works out great, I think it should.
trentbob, your input wraps together some of what I’ve gathered. I live (thankfully) well outside of Charlotte NC but enjoy listening to the metro area, thus thinking the 200 & 996 would complement each other well.

My home county public safety is still on UHF & VHF analog, I listen to railroad on the main line near my home. Amateur radio and aircraft are also part of the mix. 996, do your thing!

Outside of my county and within a reasonable distance is every other mode imaginable. Interoperability of primary systems seems like it was missed...analog trunking, P25 ph I & II including simulcast, DMR (all flavors), NXDN, ProVoice...SDS200, be the shining star!!!

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

werinshades

Premium Subscriber

I have to say Bob, we don't always see eye-to-eye on here, that was a great suggestion and assessment. Since we read so much complaining and so forth on here, it sounds like you really gave the OP the information needed. I wish we could put this in a sticky for all prospective owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.