ProScan: SDS200 drops after installing an ethernet switch....and connecting a SDR

IQ_imbalance

Premium Subscriber
Hi. I've enjoyed a very stable system with my BCT15x and SDS200 connected to my Win10 box through serial and direct ethernet, respectively. I'm running two instances of ProScan for the scanners, and I decided to consolidate all my radio stuff on that one computer so I bought an unsupervised gigabit ethernet switch so i could connect my afedri and my SDS200 at the same time. Since then, the SDS200 always drops off the network after a few hours and i always have to restart it to reconnect in ProScan (even though if i run arp -a I still see the SDS200 IP address present). Any ideas what might be going on, and how would i start to troubleshoot? Thanks!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Hi. I've enjoyed a very stable system with my BCT15x and SDS200 connected to my Win10 box through serial and direct ethernet, respectively. I'm running two instances of ProScan for the scanners, and I decided to consolidate all my radio stuff on that one computer so I bought an unsupervised gigabit ethernet switch so i could connect my afedri and my SDS200 at the same time. Since then, the SDS200 always drops off the network after a few hours and i always have to restart it to reconnect in ProScan (even though if i run arp -a I still see the SDS200 IP address present). Any ideas what might be going on, and how would i start to troubleshoot? Thanks!
Maybe the network gurus will chime in. I would swap ports on the switch and/or try another Ethernet cable and see what happens. The ARP could be showing the cache table. Perhaps use the -d command to clear the cache.

a417

what is serving the DHCP on your LAN? Look at those logs to see if something goofy is going on .

IQ_imbalance

Premium Subscriber
So both the sds200 and the afedri have dhcp enabled….I assume the computer is acting as the router? It’s airgapped from my home network so it’s just the computer and the two radios (plus the switch)

Ubbe

It could be the UDP port that stops working. Use something like Advanced-Port-Scanner to check what ports ProScan have opened and then compare to when it stops working. Perhaps another device are trying to use the same port.

/Ubbe

k4fv

If your devices are configured as DHCP clients do you have a DHCP server? If not try assigning unique fixed IP addresses to each device. They must be set to the same subnet i.e. all in the 192.168.0.n range.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Doesn't DHCP change the IP address? It sounds like the IP address is not changing in the scanner according to # 1 "i always have to restart it to reconnect in ProScan" If it was changing then ProScan IP address will need changing to match the latest scanner IP address.

@IQ_imbalance Can you confirm that you don't have to change the IP address in ProScan to get it going again.

Last edited:

a417

So both the sds200 and the afedri have dhcp enabled….I assume the computer is acting as the router? It’s airgapped from my home network so it’s just the computer and the two radios (plus the switch)
Unless you specifically instruct the computer to act as a DHCP server, they tend not to do that to prevent the chaos that it can cause. If you just 'plugged things into an unmanaged switch' and this is airgapped from your LAN, I don't think DHCP is the issue.

I think if you set manual IPs on all the devices that do not conflict, you might be closer to getting a working setup.

Are you getting link-local IPs on the devices you are plugging in? (ie; 169.254...)

IQ_imbalance

Premium Subscriber
Unless you specifically instruct the computer to act as a DHCP server, they tend not to do that to prevent the chaos that it can cause. If you just 'plugged things into an unmanaged switch' and this is airgapped from your LAN, I don't think DHCP is the issue.

I think if you set manual IPs on all the devices that do not conflict, you might be closer to getting a working setup.

Are you getting link-local IPs on the devices you are plugging in? (ie; 169.254...)

So the two devices are on the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0). The afedri has a 192.168.0.x IP address, and the SDS200 has a 192.168.0.y address so they're not in conflict. If i manually

Today when i started up the system i powered up the afedri, then the computer. HDSDR connected right to the afedri just fine. I then started the SDS200 and Proscan and couldn't get anything to connect. The scanner showed a gateway address of (something...didn't write it down). When i restarted the scanner however, the IP address stayed the same and the gateway address changed to 0.0.0.0....and the scanner connected to ProScan.

I tried to set a manual IP on the scanner without any luck....but it could very well be I had the wrong gateway address (since i have no idea what that should be.....)

Doesn't DHCP change the IP address? It sounds like the IP address is not changing in the scanner according to # 1 "i always have to restart it to reconnect in ProScan" If it was changing then ProScan IP address will need changing to match the latest scanner IP address.

@IQ_imbalance Can you confirm that you don't have to change the IP address in ProScan to get it going again.

I didn't change anything to get it going again....I had to restart the scanner AND the computer. And it eventually drops again.

a417

and all three of these devices live airgapped from the rest of the world? You're not also plugging this into a LAN?