SDS200 freezes on a channel when scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having scanning issues on the SDS200. It just stops on a frequency, presumably indefinitely, but still shows as scanning. Here's a video I took of the problem.

Squelch has no effect. I typically scan through about 20 frequencies. If I go into the menu and back out that fixes it. I noticed this happening a few days ago. I see it maybe once or twice a day when scanning.

Firmware is updated:
Main: Version 1.08.05
Sub: Version 1.02.01
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Sentinel: Version 2.02 rev 1
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Proscan: 14.6

rakotter

Feed Provider
I notice you do not have any signal strength indicated when you started it scanning. Are you picking anything up on your P25 locations?

I would check this against the just-published beta firmware, even though the symptom does not exactly match. https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/sds100-sds200-v1-09-00-open-beta.385712/
Thanks, UPMan. Much appreciated. It's funny. It had to be reset every 20 minutes last night, but this morning the scanner was churning through my favorites like a champ. I called Uniden Support about it this morning and they opened a ticket and sent it to corporate. I might do a full reset while I wait, evaluate, then go to the beta firmware if needed.

Eventually that ticket to corporate will make it to me, at which point I'll reply that I've been discussing this in your RadioReference forum thread.

UPDATE: Last night I reset the scanner, transferred my favorites again using Sentinel, same problem. Tonight I'll try the beta firmware. I had trouble getting the write-access FTP account to work so I'll have to pull the SD card and transfer it over that way. Ran out of time last night.

Would this be a DMR channel and how is it programmed
Not DMR. Happens on random channels actually, and all were pulled into my favorites from the RR database. I did customize the favorites a bit to make it more aesthetically pleasing on the scanner.

I've had the 1.09.00 beta firmware in since Friday. Froze again that evening. I set the offending channel to avoid and fired it up again. It ran pretty well until this evening when it froze again on another channel. While it was frozen this evening, I pulled data from the "tests and extras" tab in proscan and will link the results here if its helpful:

MDL,SDS200 STS,00001010100000000, Mar24 23:52 , - Pastebin.com

Penguin163

I'm having a similar problem with my SDS200. just recently updated to 1.9.0. I haven't noticed any freeze up yet. I did notice your PRI DND was on in your ProScan log, and wonder if the freeze up is related. I use PRI-DND often. Just a guess....

I'm having a similar problem with my SDS200. just recently updated to 1.9.0. I haven't noticed any freeze up yet. I did notice your PRI DND was on in your ProScan log, and wonder if the freeze up is related. I use PRI-DND often. Just a guess....

That's an interested thought. I'll run it a few days without any priority settings on. I prefer the PRI-DND versus the standard priority scan because you don't get audio clipping, but with the small number of frequencies I monitor, I probably don't get much value from the PRI-DND anyway.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I've had the 1.09.00 beta firmware in since Friday. Froze again that evening. I set the offending channel to avoid and fired it up again. It ran pretty well until this evening when it froze again on another channel. While it was frozen this evening, I pulled data from the "tests and extras" tab in proscan and will link the results here if its helpful:

MDL,SDS200 STS,00001010100000000, Mar24 23:52 , - Pastebin.com

Would need an actual log file. That is basically just an XML version of a screen shot.

Would need an actual log file. That is basically just an XML version of a screen shot.
I mean, yeah, I guess. Or you can think of it as a digital, searchable point-in-time snap shot of the settings in the midst of a failure. Anyway, that's all I know how to do. Is there an error log? Before I did any of this I FTP'd to the activity_log directory on the scanner, it's just a blank directory. I didn't find anything in the manual. I googled log files for the SDS 200 and 100, but nothing really jumped out at me. I'll do whatever but in the meantime I'm kind of vamping here.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
To make a log file:
1) Power up while holding AVOID.
2) MENU --> SETTINGS --> Set Debug Log Mode --> SD Card File
3) Monitor for a bit (long enough to capture an instance of the problem).
4) MENU --> SETTINGS --> Set Debug Log Mode --> Off
5) File is in the debug directory on the SD card.

To make a log file:
1) Power up while holding AVOID.
2) MENU --> SETTINGS --> Set Debug Log Mode --> SD Card File
3) Monitor for a bit (long enough to capture an instance of the problem).
4) MENU --> SETTINGS --> Set Debug Log Mode --> Off
5) File is in the debug directory on the SD card.

It took a couple days to catch the problem, then it happened tonight after a few hours of logging. There were two log files with the same timestamp in the debg directory, one large and one small. When I discovered the freezing, I went into the menu, back out, then back in to stop the log. I'm guessing that accounts for the second smaller file? I don't know. Regardless, I zipped them both and pasted them both here. Hopefully it sheds some light.

Attachments

• logs.zip
    607.5 KB · Views: 8

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Do you recall which frequency it freezes at? (471.5625, 851.4375, some other?)

Does it do it if ProScan is not connected and running?
Either way. When you turn debug on as I did yesterday, ProScan can't connect for whatever reason until you turn debug off. The issue still happens.

Do you recall which frequency it freezes at? (471.5625, 851.4375, some other?)
It's a different freg each time. I've been locking out frequencies as they freeze. This last time I believe it was one of these:
Capture.JPG
(higher resolution)

Status
Not open for further replies.