SDS200 Goes Deaf on Analog

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
I'm having this issue in trunking. I noticed only my local site was coming in. I thought it was a range issue but it wasn't. I had to change the filter settings to wide normal from wide invert. The surrounding sites started coming back in. It seems I have to do this every so many weeks.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am not and have never been a beta tester for Uniden.
This is also the exact behavior I’ve been seeing. Choppy clipped audio as well on analog that a reboot fixes.

I’ve got all kinds of different filter settings defined between VHF and 800 and other systems so I wonder if it is a function of mixing and matching filter settings between different systems is triggering a DSP bug in the radio somewhere…

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
I don’t have a SDS200 but I do have a SDS100. I have not experienced this problem but one thing I have noticed — if I want to monitor airplanes (civilian or military), the SDS100 seems to do much better receiving transmissions if I only have analog channels activated and sometimes I have to wait a minute or two to see better results after I have stopped monitoring digital channels. I have attributed this to giving the processor in the scanner time to clear its buffer for filters and digital data. The difference is noticeably better and clear reception.

kirkco

Premium Subscriber
"Challenge" accepted. New very high-quality "better" cards on order. I will report back with results ASAP.
My new (and very high grade) SD cards did not fix my issues of the scanners - yes two of them - going deaf occasionally. Since I replaced the SD cards it has happened twice (at least 2 times) over last week. So, the New Card Trick is not the answer for some. Not sure what the cause/pattern is yet - but the solution (interim fix) for me is to turn the thing off and on and then it starts to receive again. It's sad to think you captured the biggest event of the "century" "last night" only to find out your scanner did not do its job and therefore you don't have anything recorded. But the SDSxxx are still the best overall hardware scanning option on the market (IMHO), but not yet perfect.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
What is your squelch setting? I've heard of cases where an open squelch will cause trunking anomalies.
(with apologies if this was asked before)

Also do you only have control channel frequencies programmed (PRI and ALT) or all frequencies? The scanner might be getting hung up on a distant system.

Are you using the NAC function?

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
My HP would go almost totally deaf and had to have a hard reset done, again and again. I was sort of worried that my first SDS200 would do it too, but thankfully, they both have been great. Now if they just weren't so deaf compared to my getting up there in age GRE handhelds. The SDS's sure do sound better though.

Storm5m

Premium Subscriber
I have had this issue with my SDS200 as well. Do you have anything plugged into the ethernet port? I thought that when discussing in another thread the issue seemed isolated to those using ethernet.
Here is the original discussion that I was referring to:

Status
Not open for further replies.